I have a son who wants to learn about hunting...

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by oldguy

That is true but I sure enjoy carrying the 870 20Ga JR on really long days of pheasant shooting as I get older ;)

I’m not sure if is possible but you may be able to just slip an after-market (full size) stock on the 870 youth model when it is out grown.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by Neil Wig
Tree Jumper, center fire isn't the parameter used to distinguish a large game rifle....

For Pennsylvania it is. "Manually-operated centerfire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact.

I love my .243 for deer. It doesnt ruin alot of the meat like my 30-06 does. I cant make a head shot but a perfect vital shot drops em dead. Now i wouldnt use it for beer and we dont hunt "BIG" game like you do. I cant recall seeing a Moose walking past my stand lately. :laugh: ;)

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Much has been bandied around here on particular weaponry so I'll avoid that. Can sympathize on the computer games - our nephews were here over the holiday and hardly put the game boys down at all, pretty alien concept for me to grasp as my wife and I have several acres on a lake with critters and exploring galore. I think it is important to somehow inforce good ethics, its not just about blowing somethin away - the work really starts when the meat is down. Respect the animal and the environment it lives in, learn to read sign and tracking. Might want to consider competitive target shooting, I don't hunt anymore but love silhoutte shooting.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Please kill all the groundhogs you can I hate diggin the dirt from a hole out of the combine.
Man I wish we were allowed to use rifles for deer around here. In ohio we are only allowed shotguns, muzzleloaders, and pistols.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Tree jumper

I love my .243 for deer. It doesnt ruin alot of the meat like my 30-06 does. I cant make a head shot but a perfect vital shot drops em dead. Now i wouldnt use it for beer and we dont hunt "BIG" game like you do. I cant recall seeing a Moose walking past my stand lately. :laugh: ;)
A 243 is an excellent whitetail rifle when shot accurately. We have a wife of one of the guys in our camp that uses one and she has gotten 6 deer in 4 seasons all with one shot :aj:
BTW when I go for BEER I prefer using a chilled mug :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Weimer....the muzzleloader is a great thing. Nothin' like dialing in a nice Thompson Center.

You could also buy a CVA kit and build your own. Much fun.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy
BTW when I go for BEER I prefer using a chilled mug :laugh:

LOL, wonder what was on my mind? ;) You know sometimes if your out of money you have to use a gun to get beer. :eek:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Send him up to live with Ted Nugent for a month and he'll be jumping out of trees on wild boars in not time! Well..............or sent packin :scream:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Tree Jumper, the center-fire thing seems odd. Can you use a .22 cal to shoot deer? I think any of the high power .22 cal (223, 220, 222, 22-250 etc.) would be big enough for whitetail, provided you hit the right spot, but not legal in Saskatchewan.
This year, I've been within 30 ft of a full grown bull elk, had a swamp donkey (bull moose) in my camp site, a black bear in camp, and been within 30 yards of what I beleive to be a world record, or near record non-typical whitetail buck (with my browning lever 308 in my hand, hunting gear on, licence in pocket.....and no round in the chamber......POOP)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
You can shoot any deer, beer, etc with a centerfire .22 round. The normal .22's are rimfire but the ones you list in your () are legal. I just dropped a 7 point buck about 2 hours ago with my .243. :cool:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
All right, how do you count points down there?

Is that a 7x7 typical? That's a nice buck!! Congrats.

I got a 7x5 non-typical, and a spiker (bush hound) this year.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
How would you score this little whitetail? This is the Hanson Buck, taken about 45 miles from my home. Current world record typical whitetail.

Attachments

• mhansen.jpg
    mhansen.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 43

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Um, no.

That would be a 6x6 typical, 213 1/8 points (B&C).

<mumble mode on>
Damn 'mercans, don't know how to count. Gotta get me a big pail of yellow paint.....COW......HORSE......DOG......save the domestic critters......
<mumble mode off>
:p :laugh:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
pssssst Neil, Down here, Northwestern merican here ;) we only count one side. Some around here, like me, exclude the eye guards aswell!
It's jus those easterners :p

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
'zactly, they try n' make 'em sound big by counting every dang li'l bump.

We know what's up, eh smiffy?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Youz guys make me sick!

Our season just ended here in Michigan. I spent four days hunting and never saw a four legged critter other than squirrels. I failed to even fill my doe permit! I would be thrilled with a two point at this juncture!

I am starting to feel like a regular Pat McManus when it comes to deer hunting! :(

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by BadgerMan
I am starting to feel like a regular Pat McManus when it comes to deer hunting! :(
Who happens to be from Idaho and knows how to count his points ;)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah, well you better show a little sympathy or I may decide to come to Idaho and hunt........LOL! With Pat and I both hunting in the same state, nobody will get a deer!

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Comon guys you gotta count them all! I got a little 3 pointer the other day. Sad thing is that is counting them all!

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Quote from badgerman: Our season just ended here in Michigan. I spent four days hunting and never saw a four legged critter other than squirrels. I failed to even fill my doe permit! I would be thrilled with a two point at this juncture!

We have so many here in southern Ohio I've been out 2 hours this week and already got 2. Can't hardly go hunting without seeing one.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by BadgerMan
Youz guys make me sick!

LOL, i saw 9 does today and that buck in less than 3 hours. :moon:

Thanks Bh for sticking with me on the count em' all topic! We have to make up for the smaller sizes by counting all the points.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by bh
We have so many here in southern Ohio I've been out 2 hours this week and already got 2. Can't hardly go hunting without seeing one.

Yeah, go ahead and rub it in.

I probably would have got a deer but I had to cut my hunt short one day to watch a truly great college football team knock another somewhat great college football team outta the BCS!

;)

Top Bottom