I need torque, i heard you can get it.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Who needs torque you say!?!?!?
I have a '01 KTM 250 E/XC and would like to find a good pipe and silencer that will give me MORE torque but not take away my top. I also need it to be spark arrested for the national parks. Thanks guys, so many to choose from and no experience with them.

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
try a 13T counter sprocket

I just wanted to experiment and put on a 13T front sprocket. Left the chain alone and just moved the wheel all the way back. I'm glad i didn't cut the chain, cause with a new tire and the 13T it pulls the front wheel, up to 3-4 gear. It might be more torque than I need but I'm gonna leave it on for the next enduro to see it's not too much torque to handle. But I liked it so far. Bike has a FMF Turbine core S.A. and stock pipe. '01 250exc. I also have the P.V. adjustment in with the head of the screw flush with the case.

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
Wouldn't a 13 tooth sprocket give you more topend and LESS torque? I could be wrong but from my understanding(not a very good one at that ;) ) a LARGER front sprocket would give you more torque...

KaTMandoo

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
A smaller countershaft sprocket will give you less top speed and more perceived torque since it gears the bike down (larger final drive ratio numerically) ie. 13-52 = 4.00, 14-52=3.71.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I think that the bike comes with a 14 tooth sprocket therefore the 13 would reduce the top speed.

Actually the engine torque will not change but the lower gearing will make the bike accelerate faster, assuming that it does not just spin the rear wheel.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Gardener,
I guess I'd better learn to type faster. By the time I got done with my reply you had allready posted yours. :)

Montana300

May 4, 2000
The Gnarly pipe from FMF will give you more torque, but it will cost you top end. I installed one on my 300 and love it. Although when I first installed it I road it on flat ground for a seat of the pants test and came away disappointed. But then I took it into the woods and realized it made the bike even easier to ride. My experience is only with the 300 so you will have to draw your own conclusions ;)

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Thanks guys!!!!

FMF says that the "fatty" pipe will help all parts of the powerband, is this true? Because that's exactly what i'm looking for, i like the low-end for the 1-2 gear tight stuff and the over-rev of 5th gear on the open stuff. My dad already blows past me on his 400 E/XC. I beat him to about 75 but once were there i'm done and he pulls through and over 100.:scream: I can't lose too bad.:p Is there a best of both worlds?:think

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I have run the Fatty on my 300. It did seem to increase power across the entire rev range, but mostly it increased the the hit from mid to top and provided more overrev. If you are primarily looking for torque, this is not the pipe I would recommend. Although, if you are looking for a "more exciting" power delivery it would be a good choice. I bought the Gnarly because my Fatty is severely crunched, not because I didn't like it. The Fatty setup will require more energy over the course of a day if that matters in your decision.

On top speed, those RFS EXC models will always have more overall speed regardless of the pipe you choose for your 2stroke, unless you install radically different gearing.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
lol

good call on the powerband advice except i don't even know if my bike has one, and if it does where is it? :think I hope it's not broken:eek:

I hope not all of you think i'm a complete idiot:p

Dec 3, 1999
I have a 1999 300exc put moose torqure reeds in with torqure spacer and SLP POWER PACK which is from the snowmobiling perfomance side and it has lots of torqure with no effect on top end that I noticed.
Later
Choppy

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
'Kid,

You want to get an FMF M20 pipe. It will have a G in it somewhere nowadays, like say MG-20 or GM-20 or M-20G for the Gnarly designation which gives you the thicker steel. The FMF Turbine Core II silencer/SA is the way to go as well if you change the pipe.

Why the need for more torque? Personally I'd try the 13T front sprocket (about $25) before dropping $350 in a pipe/silencer combo. Also make sure your jetting is crisp, and a mix of 50/50 Amoco Ultimate and race gas will do wonders for your low end throttle response.

Top Bottom