If you could move to any city in SoCal...

Xyzzy

Apr 15, 2002
Where would it be, and why?

I may be moving later this summer, and I have a lot of flexability about where I can move...

Requirements:

Have a big college within 30 minutes drive
Have some outdoor MX tracks...
Close to a lot of dealers...
Be close to a hospital or 2... (My wife works as a pharmacy tech)
Low crime...
Reasonable cost of living...

A friend of mine suggested Santa Clarita (He lives there) or Las Vegas... He isn't into MX though...

I'd like to be able to ride my bike out the garage and into the desert without having to trailer anywhere...

Heat doesn't bother me... I spent half a year in Africa...

In a nutshell, I want to move to the epicenter of off-road riding... All my life I've heard it is SoCal...

Thanks!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'm going to say Canyon Lake or Menifee;

UC Riverside 25 min away
San Jacinto Collage in Menifee
Elsinore, Starwest, Perris Raceway and Comp Park all within 30 min or less
Lot of dealers around ( all Makes )
Lots of Hospitals around ( I'm sure that part is for your wife ;) )
Cost of living good

Crime is a hard one, Canyon Lake is a private community and Menifee is a New upcoming Community.

And riding out of your garage is a tuff one, if you're looking for the above

Hopefully some of the desert guys will step in

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I'm perfectly happy right here in the high desert town of Victorville. We've got 2 MX tracks here, Glen Helen (where the first round of the AMA outdoor Nationals are held) is 30 minutes away, there are several major medical centers within a 50 mile radius, and with a large retirement population here the medical field is booming here also.

Here's the clincher---JP can attest to this---that little ride we did Sunday? I can ride to there from my house! Big Bear/Arrowhead (woods) trails are 30-45 min. away. And houses are very inexpensive (for California) here.
My neighborhood is also one of the lowest crime areas in the county.

There's really a lot of good areas to choose from in SoCal. Come on Wrecking Crew, let's hear your input! ;)

P.S. Community College here, 2 universities within 40 min. to 1 hr. drive.

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
AZ! Deer Valley AZ might be a good place to look into. Same w/ westward near Avondale or Goodyear.

ASU is about 20 mins from my place. NAU is up north (not sure about what else is up there).

Living is awesome around here. Housing costs aren't bad at all either.

Crime rate... from what I know in the area where I am it's not to bad. Central Phx and some other areas aren't the greatest but what big city is? Avondale seems to be pretty good though.

Hospitals... There is one about 5 mins west of me. Another 15 mins northeast, one about 15 mins due East and one more about 25 mins north. We have quite a few of those around : )

Finally... Ridin! About 5 mins west of me are the nearest "hop out and ride" trails. There is also housing out that way where you can literally open the back door and go. Thats where my buddy is.

About the tracks, we have a variety around here. SpeedWorld - nat'l "style", Sarival - beginner SX type track, Canyon - Nat'l/SX style (really fun track), up north about an hour is Verde Valley - nat'l style, down south there is Ocotillo - Nat'l style, MotoGrande - Super technical 1.5 mile SX style (way awesome!) Then there are a few more a couple hours away that I've never ventured to. Also there is work going on a new track east of me that is supposed to have 4 track. Supposed to be nice!

All in all, I find this to be a good area for ya! I really think you should look into it. If you need feel free to e-mail me at YZGUYONE25@aol.com and I can get ya some info if you'd like!

Justin Olson

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
I live in Santa Clarita and there are alot of good riding spots. You can hit up quite a few mx tracks and the desert is just a drive away. You can ride on the beach at pismo and glamis. The motorcycle industry is booming out here and I am opening a shop in the next couple of months so feel free to drop me line if you end up making the move.

Brian@endosports.com

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Gotta go with Santa Clarita :cool:

Can't beat year round riding. Three (3) MX tracks less than 30 minutes away, 4 more large Mx facilities (Glen helen, Comp. Park, Elsinore and VMC {Victorville}) are within a couple of hours drive. Check out Proride.com for all the info on So Cal. tracks. Like endoquest stated, you can ride the dunes, the desert or in the mountains, all just a drive away.

Santa Clarita is very family oriented and has been ranked as the 4th safest city in the US ! A planned community with a large number of parks and paseos. Lots of new housing (depends on how you describe "affordable"). Sounds like I should be on the city counsel :eek:

If you need additional info, feel free to PM me.

Good luck in your search.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Xyzzy
In a nutshell, I want to move to the epicenter of off-road riding... All my life I've heard it is SoCal...
You really need to stop reading that Dirt Bike/Dirt Rider/MXA regurgitation. :scream:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
From what you've listed as requirements, don't include anywhere in Oragne County, even though it's great to live there. Cost of living too high and can't ride out of your garage. I'd have to say Menifee or out in Palm Springs. Victorville is nice but unless you like lizards (ktmboy) it seems a little out there for me (no disrespect ktmboy :) ). Temecula is one I always post as a nice place to live, it's next to Menifee. Good luck

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Consider Santa Clarita - ride out of the garage, heaps of cops live there so crime is low, lots of hospitals within 30 miles, colleges too - CSUN, low cost of living....well it's not tooooooo bad.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh man, KTMboy, no offense but there is no way I could ever in good conscience recommend moving to Victorville to anyone!! :scream:

Bill, the truth hurts. ;)

I had a handful of places to recommend to you until I reached the "reasonable cost of living" part of your list. ;) If that's the case, I'd have to jump on the Santa Clarita bandwagon.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Aimee, I was visiting here off and on for 3 years before I moved here. I agree it's not for everyone, but it either starts to grow on you or you hate it. ;)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
I think you should stay put.
The riding here kinda sucks most of the time, unless you mind riding on dirt as hard as asphalt and getting black lung from all the dust.
But during the winter, its great, and going to the river in the summer is fun also.
Corona isnt bad if you must move to Cal. Its centerally located and close to all the tracks. All the factory teams have test tracks here.
There is many major Hospitals nearby.
Only thing is you really cant ride right from your house unless you have a dual sport bike.
Plus the cost of living is reasonable compared to most of Socal.
In fact I will you make you a good deal on a nice 3 bedroom 3 bath only 6 years old! :p

bundy

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by DirtDawger
I can't imagine giving up tree roots and mud for lizaeds and cactus :scream:

Lizards are fun to chase and so are coyotes, The Cactus reminds you why you should not chase Lizards and coyotes :eek:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Live Large

I really think you should move to Bel Air, and have your Chauffer drive your air conditioned motorhome to the track. Just make sure he cleans your air filter and pops on a new tire on all your bikes before the ride. And while you're at it, be sure to hire a curvaceous cook to keep you satiated.
Ahhhhhh.. the life... :confused:

As if I wouldn't know what to do if I won the Lotto...... ;)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I agree with the Canyon Country/Santa Clarita area. Its just far enough away from the valley and LA, but not out as far as Victorville. I lived in WestlakeVillage/Thousand Oaks for 5 years, and it was sweet! Being 10 miles from Zuma beach is what really sold me.

Actually the condo I used to have in Calabasas is up %50 since I split in 96. Should have held onto that..... :think:

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I grew up around socal. And Im not sure how it is now, but Ramona (east of San Diego) used to be pretty rural and I could ride out of my garage up to my uncles and all over. Proximity to the other items Im not sure of. But the weather there definitly brings to mind the african sahara. But I like the heat!!!

gainsboro

May 7, 2001
hi
my son(14) is on a holiday training with stefan elvin,
riding at competition park,lake elsinore,star west,perris raceway
please tell me what these tracks are like

he gets to ride with mcgrath and go karting with langston etc etc

also,one of you mentioned prices of property
please tell me,what does a 5 bed house with a few acres cost there

thanks
stuart
lincoln
uk

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by wayneo426
I lived in WestlakeVillage/Thousand Oaks for 5 years, and it was sweet!

I grew up in Westlake Village - graduated WHS in '88. The Conejo Valley - Westlake/Agoura/Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park - is a great area except that there is no where to ride from your garage and the home prices aren't exactly inexpensive anymore - ~$300K for a 3/2 on a subdivision lot.

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by mxbundy
In the high $ 200.000 to the Mid $300.000.
I know because I am looking for the same house in the same area.
bundy
What?! That cheap?! Where is this land that you speak of? Where I'm from that may get you a 2bd condo!

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I heard Calabasas turned into quite the yuppie town since I left. Im sure my condo would have doubled in price by now.

We used to ride over in the 4 Star Ranch when I lived in 1000 Oaks. Not exactly a legal spot to ride, but a nice hundred acres right in Newbury Park. Oh man, I miss those days! :whiner: :ugg:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer

What?! That cheap?! Where is this land that you speak of? Where I'm from that may get you a 2bd condo!

Must have been Hemet. You know, picked up the house at an estate sale from one of 200 funerals/day out there. What bundy didn't tell you is that a 5 bdm house out there consists of two mobile homes parked next to each other with a blue tarp strung between the two.

5 bdm house on a couple of acres in any desirable SoCal neighborhood for $350K? I'd like to see it.

Brian

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
You guys have to eat crow. There are 2 subdivisions in Riverside that are in that price range. One is called Gavilan Springs Ranch. www.centuryvintagehomes.com Prices start at $299.990 and go to $354.990. All have 2 acre minimum lot sizes. They come with RV hookups and for $17,500.00 you can add on a RV garage onto tha side of the 3 car garage. For $50,000.00 more you can add a one bedroom guest house with attached garage and seperate living room.With 3 car attached garages.
Plan one is 2246 to 3044 square feet with up to 7 bedrooms.
Plan 2 is 2620 to 3418 square feet with up to 7 bedrooms.
Plan 3 is 3230 to 4028 square feet with up to 8 bedrooms.
All single story ranch style homes.

The second track is called Mockingbird Canyon Estates.
Plan 1 is 2780 to 3000 sq. ft and $350,000.00 up to 5 bedrooms. 4 car
Plan 2 is 3102 sq. ft. and $ 368,000.00 up to 5 bedrooms 4 car
Plan 3 is 3412 to 3900 sq. ft. up to 5 bedroom and bonus room 5 car
Plan 4 is 4004 Sq. ft. up to 5 bedroom, den and flex space.
Lots arent as big only 1 acre. But these are execkutive (?) style homes.

These subdivisions are by Lake Mathews alittle south east of Corona by about 15 miles. but way closer than Lake Elsinore or Temecula.

So now how does that crow taste? LOL

bundy :moon: :p

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Ya, you better make sure you get as many rooms as possible bundy, where else are all your wives going to sleep? ;)

Doesn't sound too bad but I never could go in for those 'cookie cutter' type homes. (Like Temecula) The fact that they come with more than 2 feet between them does surprise me though. :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom