I'm done with Norton

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
Ok, so I get this email that tells me that Norton Internet security is going to automatically renew my subscription and charge it to my credit card. Long story short, 2 hours later, after being sent all over the place, I think I finally get the thing resolved and stop this lovely service that somehow I didn’t even know I signed up for!! It’s like their system was trying to avoid my inquiry by sending me down dead ends! So I finally get to the pages I need and get my subscription renewed and have them take me off of automatic renewal. I check my email today, a few weeks after the previous episode and low and behold, an email from Norton saying that they automatically renewed by subscription! And this was sent to an email account that their system said they didn’t have 3 weeks ago!!!! :bang: Now I have 2 years worth of subscription on a computer that’s as slow as molasses running up hill! And it will probably take me another two to three hours trying to get resolved and refunded, and then I still won’t be sure that its resolved anyway!!! :bang: I know that Internet security is a necessary evil, but I’m done with Norton! Thanks for letting me vent.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I had been a very happy Symantec customer for years until the past year, I endured an endless run around trying to renew a 3 licence Norton A/V instead of "upgrading" to Norton Internet Security that it caused them to lose my business permanently.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Those azz wipes renewed an old subscription for me and that was two months after I had already upgraded. Luckily they removed the charges after only one email, to India or somewhere.

I accused them of subsidizing malicious code and they ignored me.

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
the easiest way to deal with this stuff is just to dispute the charges with your credit card company. if they charge you for something you didn't agree to its illegal. i have had to on a few occasions deny payment, visa is friendly and easy to get a hold of. a few simple questions and they take care of it. recently snap fish a company that gives you prints for your digital pictures. charged my credit card and after a month still hadn't shipped the prints, a call to visa. and they canceled the payment. interestingly enough a week later the prints showed up at the house. with note from the company and a coupon.

Oct 23, 2005
Norton sucks on my laptop, it causes my laptop to run very slow. My subscription ran out a few days ago and now my laptop is fast and problem free. I will never purchase norton again.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I just visited my parents, and they run Norton on their computers. I could not believe how long it took to boot up. That thing must be a real resource hog. I run McAfee and that is bad enough, but Norton seemed much slower on boot up, IMO.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
:whoa: Not the kind of Norton I was thinkin' about. :ohmy: :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:

Me either, but I've heard similar "I'm done with Norton" sentiments expressed about the "other". :rotfl:

Attachments

• DSC_0692_DRN.jpg
    DSC_0692_DRN.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 286

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ol'89r said:
Same here, LOL!

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
BLACKeR said:
the easiest way to deal with this stuff is just to dispute the charges with your credit card company...
Back in the olden days, I was a Prodigy subscriber. When I decided to end the relationship I sent them an email-mail asking how to cancel my subscription in a manner that would leave me "never owing them any money again!" I dutifully followed their instructions and ended my subscription. The next month I find that they'd billed my AMEX for a year's renewal. I call AMEX and tell them DO NOT PAY! Then I get a letter from AMEX saying that they called Prodigy to dispute the claim and Prodigy told them that, oops, I should have actually been charged the lower annual rate. AMEX tells me that they put the charge through and any further dealings should be taken up with Prodigy. WHAT???!!!
So I pay my bill, keep Prodigy and ditch AMEX.
The following year I got notices from Prodigy's collection dept because the AMEX that they automatically billed, was no longer valid. heh, heh. I laughed every time Prodigy threatened me for the next umteen months!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I was done with Norton in the late 70's, myself. :nod: :nener:

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Yeah, dump Norton. The enterprise suits they have are great, but the home user stuff is junk. Heck, it's not even very easy to REMOVE it thouroughly once it's been installed. There's a tool you can download on the Symantec site that helps...when it works. I've been using AVG Free for several years now, and I'm very happy with it. I use Web Root's SpySweeper for my spyware detections. I've been running well for over 2 years now. (knocking on wood like a mutha).

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Citibank credit cards have this feature called a virtual card number its good for one purchase and it changes the number each time you boot it up. This works really good for re-occurring items like subscriptions so if they try to renew with that number it simply doesn't work and your real credit card number never goes out on the Internet.

D

P0PWAR

Oct 13, 2007
Norton is an ok anti-virus. But it uses wayy too much memory. Me personally, I don't use an anti virus at all because I know what Im doing most of the time, but if i had to have one i would use NOD32 or AVG, they use the least amount of memory, cheaper, and are all around better then norton at catching intruders and ****..

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I quit using Norton on my and my clients systems when the Internet security 2007 product came out. It HAMMERED the systems cpu and memory to silicone dust. In short, it sucks, its hooks are to slow to keep up with itself! I have tens of hours this year fixing crashed NIS installs that all but hose the box into CPU gridlock. I switched to McAffe and have been very impressd with the quality, performance, and price of those products. Some ISP's like Comcast give it to you for FREE and so far, I have not been capped as far as how many systems I can load it on. I have run the Norton 2008 product on Vista laptops and it seems much improved, however I agree with the original poster, the NAV update system is not only difficult to navigate, but VERY entrapping as they try by default to get you to upgrade to the high end new product instead of just renew your current subscription. NIS 2006 was a decent product, 07 should be avoided at all cost, 08 seems ok so far on a dual cpu laptop with 2G mem. McAfee is decent all around with a nice little backup and resore feature included. It also has AWESOME spam filter plug ins for outlook and outlook express that just work great with no tweeking. It also has phising filter plug ins for IE. It also lets you select what modules to install so you dont get life controlling "parental filters" if you dont want them.
AGV free is a great AV but does NOT give you a good fire wall with the free product. Zonelabs zone alarm is an AWESOME free firewall program but both must be maintained indepently.
Trend, Panda, and other have decent products as well, but for my money, I have driven most of them and I use and recommend McAfee.
Jason G
I-tguy computer service
i-tguy2go.com

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
most of the virus's are made to go around norton because thats the one most people use. i use avg free and havent had a virus problem in years.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
...you don't like Norton? Heck, I thought he was a one man show!

Attachments

• norton.jpg
    norton.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 105

captblue1

Sep 8, 2004
P0PWAR said:
Norton is an ok anti-virus. But it uses wayy too much memory. Me personally, I don't use an anti virus at all because I know what Im doing most of the time, but if i had to have one i would use NOD32 or AVG, they use the least amount of memory, cheaper, and are all around better then norton at catching intruders and ****..

WOW doesn't know enough to use anti-virus but will give advise on it?!?! I love forums.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
McAfee is far the best anti virus program. I have never had a problem since Ive had it. and it doesn't take up much memory to use it.

AVG didn't work, i got a virus while i had it, and i had to work my magic to get it off. Then we got McAfee.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
captblue1 said:
WOW doesn't know enough to use anti-virus but will give advise on it?!?! I love forums.

I was thinking something along those same lines.. He says he knows what he's doing most of the time.. I would guess not, if he did, he'd be running an AV.

Top Bottom