GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I'm going to try out golf today for the first time. I had always declined invitations from the hoards of golfers at work to join in and sure it looked they had a good time but I just didn't think it would suit me. Whenever I look at a golf course I just want to ride my Katoom all over that manicured lawn. Golfing seemed kind of "timid" in comparison to any other activity.

A friend talked me into just "hitting balls" at the local course and after an hour or so of chopping grass and wiffing air and making lame putts, I had to admit I was a little intrigued. Finally, I got a 5 minute lesson in form and swing and follow through and placement of my feet and body and low and behold I hit the ball far and straight and about 150-175 feet according to the marker and dang! that felt GOOD! I don't even know which club I was using.

So today, its an 18-hole golf course at beautimus Wente Vinyards and its a great California Saturday morning, so I'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I've been thinking of taking up golf too (I need a hobby). A friend of mine suggested that you can get a lot more beer in the bag if you take the clubs out.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
GETMETOCA said:
low and behold I hit the ball far and straight and about 150-175 feet according to the marker and dang! that felt GOOD!

I hope that marker was in yards not feet or your going to find a very long golf course in front of you today. :)

Golf is a great game that I was a complete addict to before Troy started riding and racing. I've gone from playing 80 + games per year (a feat in our short season) to 3 games last year. I will return to the game and enjoy it well into my retirement years after we are done with racing.

Have fun out there today!

B

biglou

I haven't played in about 3-4 years, but I enjoy golf also. I'm a total hack, but it is great fun with the right people. Don't get too serious. That sucks all the fun out of it. I love hearing people screaming explatives (sp?) from across the course! What fun is that?! I bought a used set of clubs off my supervisor when I worked in MS for about $80, and got me a pair of shoes at Big Lots for 19.99 and other than greens fees, that's all I've ever spent on golf. Took me about 4 years to par my first hole, so we celebrated at Hooters with a plateful of wings and a couple brews! :aj:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Sooooo what's the best way to learn about golf, if you know nothing? Maybe join GRN (GolfDolts.net)?

A few years ago I got some nice clubs at a garage sale. Great price too, turned out they were lefties. :bang:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Chili said:
I hope that marker was in yards not feet or your going to find a very long golf course in front of you today. :)

Ha! ;) That means I hit the ball further than I thought! Thanks Chili!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
So today, its an 18-hole golf course at beautimus Wente Vinyards and its a great California Saturday morning, so I'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

:ohmy: Oh! Nat.

Be careful. That is a very dangerous sport.

I only tried it one time but I narrowly escaped with my life. We went to a local course and on about the third hole my ball hit the little gnome on the foot and bounced into the street. While I was retrieving my ball I almost got hit by a car.

As if that wasn't enough, I made a great shot directly into the little house with the windmill on it. I was pretty proud of my shot, but when I tried to get my ball back I almost lost my arm because the blades of the windmill kept flying by the little opening where my ball was.

So, I took my club and stuck it in between the windmill and the little house to stop the windmill. There was a lot of crunching and munching sounds like gears stripping or something like that. Soon smoke started coming out of the little house. When the fire department showed up, we took advantage of all the confusion to make our escape. ;)

Never been back since. I really don't see why everyone gets so excited about golf? :rotfl:

If you go, be careful. :laugh:

Ol'89r

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Golfing can be a lot of fun if you're with the right people, I won't play with the guys in the office because they take it to seriously, but when I go with some bike buddies..............oh man, look out, I have 6 courses with 10 min of me and 5 of them I'm afraid to go back to, one of them might still be looking for a cart........damn water traps. hehehe

Have fun with it, cuz golfing really does suck.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
JPIVEY said:
Have fun with it, cuz golfing really does suck.
I couldn't agree more. I hope you enjoy it more than I ever do, Nat. I think a lot of my problem is fining clubs that fit. I sure as hell don't want to buy any because that's good dirt bikin' money going to waste!

Wes, some goof sent me a subscription to golf digest, I know not who, but if you wanted to learn anything, that's probably as good a place as any to start. Also, there's gotta be some beginner league somewhere down there in I'llBeQuirky, and you might even meet some chicks, maybe even a jilted debutante.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
you might even meet some chicks, maybe even a jilted debutante.

The golf course is full of "jilted debutantes" as well as many other categories of women that may be able to help Wes "loosen up" his grip. :laugh:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Im really good at Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 on Xbox.

Soooo,that must mean I'll be good when I play golf in real life. :laugh:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
My Golf Report

:bang:

I'd rather be doing this... :ride: However, I always learn SOMETHING from my social endeavors....

• Sand Traps are like one big Zen Garden...complete with a little rake and all! It looked like fun to me but I learned that in the game of golf you do not want to be in the Zen Garden.
  • Golfing appears to be a pompous sport.
  • The drink cart is good.
  • I prefer to call a "dog leg" a "lamb chop"
  • If you find a "lost" club on the green, someone will be coming back for it. Refrain from saying things like "finders keepers!" or from asking this person if they got pissed and chucked the club like John McEnroe throws his tennis raquet.
  • When other golfers get close to the hole and they keep missing the putt and racking up points, they should still try to put it in the cup to bring closure to the trauma. But dont' tell them that.
  • Losing your ball in the course "Native Grasses" is just another way to say you're screwed and you're never gonna find that ball.

I think I enjoyed hitting a couple of buckets on the driving range more than trying to play 18 holes so I'll stick with that for now. The course (Wente Vinyards Golf Course in Livermore, CA) was gorgeous and it was a great day overall.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
LeaverMore CA? Hmmm, the place I work for has a little operation out there. Maybe I should ask for a transfer so I can start my golf career at a gorgeous course with a drink cart and free clubs on the course. :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I have to develop a game so I can hang with clients.

Never thought I would voluntarily play golf.

Drink cart? :clue:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Beer Cart Chicks RULE !!!!!!
A buddy of mine even has a hat with that on it. :)

Golf is the only game I know where you yell four, shoot six, and write five.

They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken.

But really. Golf is ok. I golf in a Thursday night league with several of my riding buddies and a whole bunch of my friends from my Elks Lodge. It is just more fun with a good group of friends and some cool ones. Just don't get serious about it.

Mully

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I once had the opportunity to golf with the mayor of Plano, TX and a couple city council members.
As we were stretching and getting ready to tee off, the mayor let loose a big nasty one (you know what I mean). As if given permission to follow suit, the other two guys let loose in unison. :ohmy:

They were all three smiling from ear to ear as the mayor exclaimed: "Welcome to Texas, Boy"!
:laugh:

Glad you got a chance to enjoy the misery that many of us endure often, Nat.
( Lambchop! LOL.... :rotfl: )

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Don't break any windows!! :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Remember that for every ball you find in the woods while you're looking for your own, you take a stroke off of your score!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Go get'em Nat. Golf is a game of endless frustration :bang: :bang: I have a set of clubs but they just sit in the closet since Josh got me back into riding. Which is what I would rather be doing anyway. Although in 2 weeks I will be in Maui and I must at least play one round there. :nener:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
If any of you are interested I have a video clip of Robin Williams from his Live on Broadway dvd that explains the origins of golf. It is absolutely hilarious. I won't post a link here since the file is somewhat harsh on the language but those that are interested send me an e-mail chilidip@mts.net and I'll send it out to you.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
It's always nice to try something new. Good for you nat. I would be too afraid of maiming the other golfers if I tried to take up the sport. I'm not good in any situation where projectile balls are involved. :yikes:

Mully said:
Beer Cart Chicks RULE !!!!!!
I've been the "beverage cart" girl twice before for an event my company put on every year. I was kind of bent about being assigned the tast at first, but then I discovered that everyone looooves you when your'e the beverage cart girl :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Now why would you ruin a perfectly good walk by playing golf? :)

I attempted golf when I was still in training for the Army. I never got into it enough to buy any of my own gear (which broke my Chiropractor's heart), but it's a great way to spend a sunny, relaxing afternoon with friends. Nat, if the 18 holes turn you off maybe finding a 9 hole course would be more fun. Then again, just whacking balls at the dude in the cart on the driving range is fun too. :laugh:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
My brother gave up dirtbikes to play golf, :| what a sick individual he is. He plays golf 7 days a week, he built his house on a golf course, he belongs to 3 different country clubs and now he is trying to buy the golf course where he lives. I know that everybody on this board has been tempted to ride their dirtbike on a golf course at some point in their life. How can you look at those nice sandboxes and not want to drop into a massive bermshot, or do a burnout across one of those pretty greens or look at those bunkers and say to yourself , 'I could double that' Soooo I had this brilliant idea, :clue: I could invite some DRN'ers to SC when I am going to be there, and we could go for a little 18 hole ride on our dirtbikes. :ride: What are brothers for anyway? :p

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I tried golf for the second time in my life this past Friday at Rooster's company's annual golf tournament...I wasn't planning on playing, but after two holes they looked like they were having more fun than I could resist. So I get on the course (in four inch platform sandals at that...) and take a stab at it...I CANNOT hit the ball! It continued like that for a while, but the more beer I drank the better I seemed to get...By the end of nine holes I had progressed quite well and I had a great time. I'd love to play more as long as I have people that are not serious about it, it's a fun game!

Top Bottom