IMS tank for KX100 - does not fit???

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I am in the process of installing an ims tank on my GF's KX100.

Anyone else had problems with these in that they do no F@#!@#%#%#%ING fit?

At the bottom the fuel line touches the engine cylinder. Seems bad to me, but there is no other choice. Also the spark plug only fits if it is done up first, and then it stretches it (it actually pulled the boot off once - just pushed it back on - hopefully it is not screwed now too) and piches it between the frame and the tank. No other better routing is possible.

I know it is supposed to be the right tank since it says KX100 right in the molded plastic, but WTF? Why will it not go on?

Is it possible that there is something different about my GF's 1998 that is the problem? Like when they say it fits a range of years they are just guessing and no-one tried it on a 98?

Or is there some trick I am missing?

I called their so called tech support and got "Well I've never installed one on any KX100's before, but it should fit"

Anyone here ever done one on a KX100 and have a tip?

Thanks,
Phil

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
IMS is legendary for their bad fit. My friend's KX250 IMS tank fits really bad too, you have to be creative to get it to fit.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Can the plastic be BENT or anything for clearance?
How would you bend it? Heat?

And does anyone know if there is a way to extend the spark plug wire? It is sealed into the coil at one end, or I would just go buy a lead from the aut parts store that is longer.

Phil

Last edited:

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Ok, for the next person who tries to install one of these:

The fuel line touching the engine can be fixed by putting a spring (from the hardware store) over the hose to protect it from engine heat/rubbing).

The spark plug wire can be fixed by turning the coil upside down so the wire is more offset to the left side of the bike, then it will easily reach around the tank.

Phil

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Let me join the club of "IMS did not fit"

I tried running one on my yz 250. The kick start lever would not fold up and lock into place. Spark plug access woudl have been great if you have the flexability of a chimp, but it did not work for me.

I sent it back with a note that said.."Cram this." Nothing else but my name and address. They sent me the money back, no questions asked. I believe they asked no questions because they "KNEW" what the problem was.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
REALLY, i put an ims tank on my 2002 kx100, and now one on my 2003 yz125, and they both fit GREAT, im sry for ur guys' bad luck, o well, guess im goin with a clarke next time, and only $170, heck yes
:)

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
my IMS fit's good, only thing is i have to fight to get hte mounting bolts to line up, but it's not that hard. No harder than it is to get my shroud to line up with the frame. But it fits great when installed, no rubbing and it seems to clear everything nicely with getting the most area out of it.

Top Bottom