Ineed some advice on spring rates.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
I have recently started trying to expand my knowledge in the area of suspension. Mainly due to the fact that the current suspension set-up on my yz250 is far too stiff for my weight and riding style/ability (5.6 rear and .45 front).

I have done some research and found that the suggested rear spring rate for me is 4.6 and the front is .41. These are the exact same rates as my stock '01 yz125. The 125 feels pretty good but it is also 22 pounds lighter than the 250.

My question is how will the weight of the bike effect things. How can my suggested spring weight be the same for both bikes given the difference in bike weights?

Here is my profile.

6.0"
156 - 163 lbs. (w/o gear)
Upper C rider.
Ride a mix of woods and MX. Mostly woods with a lot of whoops in the straights.

I have access to a set of stock springs from a 2003 yz250. They are 4.9 rear and .43 front. I am wondering if this would work pretty good or should I go with the recommended .41 and 4.6?

I have read a few topics where people thought that the recommended rates were a little low for them.

I am sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to learn this stuff and it can be overwhelming without a little outside input.

Thanks again, Stacy

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I tend to go on the lighter side of spring rates-for you i would say 4.9 and a 0.43 fronts isnt soft enough, i would go for the 125 springs.On the forks you can preload them to hold them up in the stroke if they prove too soft.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Okay this may be a stupid question but...how would I go about doing that? Preloading them I mean.

Also, doesn't it make a difference that there is 22 lbs. difference between the bikes?

Top Bottom