Introduction: New KDX in the Garage

exbike

Jan 29, 2006
Hello Everyone: I've been lurking for a while, soaking up the great information. Thanks to all. I just purchased a 2001 KDX220R here in Oakland, CA. The 2001 is a CA Green Sticker, so I'm psyched.

This is actually my second KDX - the first one was a KDX175 that I bought brand-new in Tucson, AZ back in the early 80s. I worked an entire summer as a busboy to pay for it. So, as you can imagine, I've always had a fondness for the KDX line.

My current 220 is is so-so shape. In fact, I haven't ridden it yet due to the "restoration" that needs to be done. I took apart the unitrac links and removed the swingarm only to discover a rusty pile of crap. I've ordered some Pivotworks bearings and have also sent my carb to RB for modification. When it is back together, I will focus on getting the forks firmed up with springs. I also plan to remove two cartridge shims as mentioned on this board. Then, new tires and chain/sprockets (natch) and I think I'm ready to rumble.

Thanks everyone for the great info. This bike will be a "keeper" so I'll be checking in often to keep it in tip-top shape.

-Matt
Oakland, CA

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
I sure hope you got it for nothing with all that work needed. A bike that is in this condition was never taken care of, I recommend you immediately do a top end also, this will give you a chance to look at the whole kips system.
and while you're at it carefuly check the play on the rod, and consider a bottom end job if there's any play up or down.
I just sold my '95 KDX200 last Saturday to someone in Memphis, he's going to have fun w/ it. Bought my 15 yr old son a 99 220R and he loves it.

Good luck and hope you're up and running soon

exbike

Jan 29, 2006
Gabe: Price was not as low as you might expect. Its a sad state of affairs in my state - green sticker 2-strokes can be a bit overpriced here in CA. All 2003 and newer KDXs are CA RED stickers.

Good call on the top end. I actually ordered the parts, but was going to wait a bit. Your recommendation sounds good. I'll do it before I hit the dirt.

Thanks, Matt

darrylabrown

Mar 12, 2006
Hey Matt, I am currently shopping for a used bike up in Canada. The prices are very high. I missed a good one last week 01 KDX220 sold for $3,900 CDN ($3,300 USD).

I wonder if it is because Canada stopped the KDX 220/220 line. Only new bikes are 2005 leftovers.

Still waiting.....

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
darrylabrown said:
Hey Matt, I am currently shopping for a used bike up in Canada. The prices are very high. I missed a good one last week 01 KDX220 sold for $3,900 CDN ($3,300 USD)..

Wow, US$3300 for a 2001 220. It would be ~US$2300 down here in good shape. I thought the xchange rate was way better than this, I guess that was a couple years ago.

Top Bottom