Petey

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
I was in the same situation as you last year. I ended up with a 4 cylinder '97 Ford Ranger. I love it because its effiecent on gas and I can lug my bike around. On the weekends ill take my mother's car if I end up driving friends around.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Nissan makes a pretty reliable motor as well. I had a Nissan king cab V6 w/automatic and got excellent service out of it. I don't remember the mpg, but it wasn't bad.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i think im gonna get a gmc sonoma. i found a decent one in our area. ill keep you updated maybe put a pic on when i get it.

May 22, 2006
i don't know but i realy like my 92 jeep cherokee, it gets about 19 mpg hauling a trailer with three bikes and its 4wd witch is a must in the winter where i live. it runs awsome even though its got over 200,000 mi. on it. DON'T get me wrong im all about big 4wd v8 pickups but you just cant aford to drive them anymore, even though i love my jeep i still have to haul a trailer everywhere but its not that bad... anyway good luck and if you look for a jeep get a 6.0 liter inline six or the inline four, dont get the v6 its not as good.

YZfreak

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
sparkysakitas said:
if you want a full size truck and can find one in your price range dodge cummins turbo diesel
i had a 96 4x4 with the ctd and got 23+ with it

do you think most of them would get that good of gas mileage? first of all whats ctd mean and also what engine size is it? ( like chevy has a 2500 and ford has a 250, im not familiar with dodge)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
CTD = Cummins Turbo Diesel
I was installed in 2500 & 3500 Dodge trucks (pickups in Pred spreak).
If it was taken care of picking up a used example with +200K on the clock would not give me any heartburn. The transmission and body are the weak links.

Feb 4, 2008
JD, if I were you I'd stick to finding a Ford Ranger or a Chevy S-10. Either of those are not too bad, just don't get anything with a four cylinder. I have a S-10 and Ranger (shop trucks) and both would do a good job for what you need, some even have extended cabs that might fit friends in the back but it will be tight. I suggest at least a 4.0 six cylinder, the 4.3 are even better. A sonoma I beleive has a V8? anything with a V8 will eat the gas! Stick with a smaller truck and you'll have a little more money to go riding with, not to mention insurance is based partialy on motor size. I'm sure you have seen the differance in price between Toyota/ Nissian's compared to Ford/ Chevys/, so unless you have green backs stick with american. I personaly drive a 04' Ram 1500 w/ 5.7 liter (HEMI babe!) but it's down fall 13-14 miles per gallon.

One other thing, going back to the Jepp owner (YZFreak) I have never heard of a 6.0 liter in-line six. My HEMI is only a 5.7 and it's a V8. That Jepp must put out 400HP, because my Ram puts out 340 at the motor, not sure what it is at the wheels 2 something? Anyway I'm not just blowing smoke, I owned a Jeep Cherokee that had the 3.2 liter V6 and it was a dog, could not imagian how slow the four cylinder would have been. I wish I had at least the 4.0 V6 the hole time I owned it. I did love my jeep though!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
RidingTheRockies said:
JD, if I were you I'd stick to finding a Ford Ranger or a Chevy S-10. ...
...A sonoma I beleive has a V8?
I'm pretty sure that you have mistaken the Sonoma for the Sierra, the Sonoma is a re-badged S-10 while the Sierra is the full sized bike hauler.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Most V6 engines barely get better gas mileage then a V8. If you’re concerned about gas prices as you’ve said. Find an S-10 or Ranger with a 4 banger. Yeah it’s not a speed demon which is the last thing you need for a first vehicle. Used S-10’s and Rangers are a dime a dozen, easy to find and parts are cheap if repairs are needed. Have you priced tonneau covers? They aren’t cheap.

I drove a Ranger with a 4 banger for over 9 years. It was a great little truck, got great gas mileage and I put less then $1000 in repairs into it in that time (I bought it new). I would buy another one if I'm every in the market for a small truck. Sorry Pred, pick-up! :nener:

jonboyf

Aug 12, 2007
my 97 toyota t100 rocks 186,000 miles no oil consumption, almost no maintenence. hauled two streetbikes to N.H. no prob. 20 miles to the gal, empty. :nener:

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
terbo said:
another thing u could do is get a smaller car with a hitch

here here.

I have a '92 Toyota 4 door Corolla with 167k on the clock. It drives really well, gets over 35 miles to the gallon, and I have a hitch on the back. It'll pull a Harbor Freight 4' x 8' trailer with the bike on it with no problem.

Recently I blasted from Santa Fe, NM to Flagstaff, AZ to pick up a bike for my brother. I cruised down there pulling my trailer at about 78mph, and coming back I was doing about 83mph. No problem.

The car cost me $1300 dollars, and has been ultra reliable.
The truck will definitly make it more convienent to just throw the bike in the back and go, but you can't beat the cheap price of an old beater Corolla; better gas mileage, excellent snow traction (front wheel drive), can still pull the bike and trailer around, can be modified for a boomen stereo, etc.

Top Bottom