Is any one using a trials tire on the rear

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I have read a few things about using a trials tire on the rear of thier bike. I am contemplating getting one for this season. I bought a pirelli mt32 , but the trial tire has me interested. any thoughts on using one for trail riding and HS this year.
Lok

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lori KTM had one on last year on a few rides with us and she liked it. It was mostlt rocks and not a lot of thick mud. I've been thinking about trying one myself but I get into alot of mud at times and think I'll need a good knobby for it. I'd be interested in experience with trials tires in thick mud.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Yea I ride in alot of mud, so I am not sure its good idea. I guess I will order one and after the MT32 goes south I will just try it, worse comes to worse I will either like it or hate it.
Lok

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I haven't personally tried it, but from what I have heard about them, is they work great for rocks, and dry soils, especailly if they are fairly firm. I don't think they work so great in loose loamy soils, or in mud. The tighter lug spacing and shorter lug heights reduce the ability of the tire to grab traction and clean itself out in these types of soils. If your riding includes lots of mud, I don't think a trials tire is going to work very well.

z enduro man

Mar 28, 2002
I have used an X11 trials tire for several years. very good in most conditions, great in the rocks and roots, but they have a softer sidewall so watch the sharp rocks. Loamy soil it works pretty good. As for mud, it depends on the type of mud... Slimy type mud over hardpack clay (Capitol Forest) it works much better then a new knobby. thick mud with no roots or rocks knobby is better. I would also avoid deep sand and snow. If you need to dig for traction, use a knob, if there is something for the tire to grab onto try a trials tire. Which also leads to less impact on the trail...tread lightly...

Cost is about twice that of a knobby, but it lasts me about 3 times as long and it works equally well on my wifes 200exc as it does on my crf450x or did on drz400.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I have one on the back of my 300. Started with a Michelin X-11 take-off from a trials rider in our club then bought a Mitas ET-01. I have ~50 miles on it and there is very little wear compared to what you would see on a conventional knobby. Suprisingly it does very well in mud as long as you go into mud with plenty of momentum and stay steady on the throttle.

About 20 miles on the tire was ridden on slick, muddy trails and a wet grasstrack, where I was sure it wouldn't work worth a damn. Granted a fresh soft terrain tire would've hooked up better in the really soft stuff, but not that much better. The radial design sheds mud better than a conventional knobby and finds traction where other tires continue to dig ruts. Traction is so good in the back it will actually push the front end in corners.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Keep in mind they only come in the 4.00-18 size.

muski250

Jul 4, 2007
i was at an enduro this weekend and one of the sweepers had a dunlop trials tire on the rear and said it was awesome and also noticed some of the riders had them too
guess ill have to try one! oh it was a new england enduro rhode island netra

Top Bottom