Is California really this bad??

SmogNazi

Apr 29, 2005
My friend purchased a brand new 2004 CR125 fromArizona. He brought the paperwork and took it to the DMV in Lake Isabella, CA. They verified the vin, took his money and sent him off with a temp regisration. Of course he has a red sticker bike now. He is waiting for the title and instead He recieved a letter in the mail from the California DMV stating that the bike does not meet california emissions and must be removed from the state immediatly. What the heck is up with that? Anyone else hear of this BS? What should be do? Any tips would be appricated.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Sounds like he tried to register it as an on road vehicle? Maybe he should try and call them to explain it's an off road vehicle with no smog requirements.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Mike[socal] said:
Sounds like he tried to register it as an on road vehicle? QUOTE]

I have to agree with Mike. If he tried to register it as a road bike or an enduro type bike, the computer will kick it out. Also, if the bike originated in Canada or New Zealand, the computer is set up to kick those out too. You can thank C.A.R.B. for that. (Calif Air Resources Board)

If he registered it as an MX (closed course) bike, it should go through. Check the eighth digit of the vin#. It should be a '3' or a 'C'. If it is not a 3 or a C, it may be a Canadian or NZ import

In answer to your original question. Yes. :coocoo:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There is a big difference between DMVs - some are competent, some are not. My guess is they local DMV sent the paperwork up to the state like it was a street bike.

Unfortunately, since he is bringing in a new bike from out of state, the DMV will probably expect him to pay California sales tax on the full purchase price before they send him his registration. I hope he has set aside a few hundred $ for that.

Sometimes a good deal is not so good of a deal when you factor in all the government complications. He would have had to pay the sales tax anyway if he had bought the bike in California, but at least the paperwork would have been handled by the dealer and he would not have had to go to the DMV.

SmogNazi

Apr 29, 2005
The 8th digit is a 3. Not an import bike, purchased brand new from a dealer in Arizona.

All he tried doing was getting a off road red sticker.
Basically, he went to the DMV and did the regisration and Sacramento DMV sent him a letter stating that he needed to go back to the dmv since the local one filled out the info incorrectly. He went back and they redid it and gave him a temp. off road red sticker. Now he gets a letter saying to remove it from the state since it is not smog legal.

He's going to the dmv today and we will see what happens with it....

California SUC :uh: KS!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Spiller: It depends on the state.

SmogNazi

Apr 29, 2005
i never understood that spiller. Its BS, just like taxes, trying to make extra money...
On road registration is used to pay for the roads and upkeep of them and to fund the highway patrol and other groups. Makes perfect sense, you use the public roads, pay your regisration. Off road is a different story. no roads why pay??!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The green & red sticker registration fees are supposed to pay for acquisition and maintenance of trails. They also help fund the State Vehicle Recration Areas such as Hungry Valley, Hollister, Carnegie, etc... There is supposed to be a new SVRA near Bakersfield someday, and years ago Carnegie acquired additional land (not sure if they every opened it).

How little they have done with the money they have received is scandalous, but there are some 'good intentions' behind the fees.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
SmogNazi said:
i never understood that spiller. Its BS, just like taxes, trying to make extra money...
On road registration is used to pay for the roads and upkeep of them and to fund the highway patrol and other groups. Makes perfect sense, you use the public roads, pay your regisration. Off road is a different story. no roads why pay??!

In Washington state the money for ORV tabs goes to fixing, maintaining and building new trails. I'd hate to be a guy from Canada that gets a new job in California and have to try to get his dirt bike registered.

Steve

PDW

Nov 8, 2003
splatt said:
I'd hate to be a guy from Canada that gets a new job in California and have to try to get his dirt bike registered.
Steve
why, whats gona happen to me.....no new job just new school

MyCR125rips

May 24, 2005
ha....thats awesome....no cops can really keep up :nener: and i live striahgt in a city,closet trails are like 10 miles, Just learn to ride or die :cool:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
someone needs to tell california that THEY are part of the USA and not the other way around...

what happens if you want to visit CA and ride your dirt bike - do they sticker-it-to-you for that one too...

darn west coasters...

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
No registration or political tape to cut that I know of here in BC Canada. I have been riding both on and off road bikes for years. Of course you have to register any licensed on road bike but dirt only? No way! Why? What is the point? You buy a dirt bike, you ride it off road only, no problem. I have actually been approaced by cops who take my dirtbike serial number and just run a check on it to see if it is stolen. That's cool, however only happened once in 15 years.
My thoughts on all this is there are 30 million people living in California, we all love our vehicles, toys, weed whackers you name it. All engines pollute to some degree. Cram 30 million people in one state and try and ride noisy dirt bikes or personal watercraft and there are going to be problems. If 15% of the popultion are seniors and another 10% are tree hugging enviromentalists there you have 7.5 million people who are saying "not in my back yard!". Yes I agree the pollution is bad, a lot better than it was, and something had to be done. The only answer is to leave if you cannot accept the rules set out by the state govt. I don't think there is much you can do to fight it, there are a lot of other great areas to live and ride in peace in the North America. It sucks if you are stuck there with your job, or family, I sympathize. Nothing beats the feeling of unloading the bikes for some great woods riding, where the only boundary is your fuel tank size. No OHV parks, no green stickers, no red stickers, no registration. Just ride.

However......Ya gotta love those California girls.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
My pet peeve.

Sometimes it pays to be old, well, older.

The program was started to pay for trails and parks as was previously posted. The "bonus" was that at the time an unregistered bike could not ride "on road" at all. The green sticker was supposed to allow you to ride on the road shoulder or middle, if dirt, for up to (IIRC) 5 miles (for trail connections).

Well, now you can't do any of that and they have taken all of the money from day one and poured it into the general fund. The AMA audited the money and proved this, but to no avail. Now they are re-working the program, which sunsets in a year or two. I talked to a USFS guy who is on the committee and he is major bad juju to our cause. So, beware! :(

Part 1

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Part 2

As to "smog" that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

CARB brought in the red sticker program in without authorization from the legislature. Claiming it was for reducing fire danger. :coocoo: Well, this was such garbage no one believed it, even the enviro-nazis. Plus, DMV did not want to administer the program (without the $$ to go along with it) and refused to honor CARB demands and the whole thing ended up in court.

Only now CARB claimed it was for smog and enviro protection. (CARB put smog monitoring stations in Gorman, right next to the freeway :coocoo: to prove their point) So, CARB agreed to kick $$ to DMV, so they (DMV) were now happy and came on board. The lawsuit was dropped when the enviro-nazis got some half baked legislation passed. That's why originally only pre '97 bike could get green stickees, and now it is only for pre '02.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Part 3 (Final)

As to the original poster, DMV got sued for this very thing for cars and trucks, and lost. (FWIW, I was part of that class action suit)

It is against Federal law and they have to honor out-of-state registration. PERIOD. They may not like it, but that is the way it is. You'll only get a red stickee, but they have to give you one. Gray market is another story, though.

cr125drew

Apr 19, 2005
Is California really this bad?...

...Yes. California is a pain in the ass if you want to do anything that's fun.lol The DMV is so messed up/backed up in my opinion. Get this, me and a friend went to Metcalf (SVRA) a couple years ago. He had a green sticker for his KX100, the ranger thought that it shouldn't be b/c the bike was a 2003. He rings up the code on the sticker and it comes back to some cr125! They didn't even own any Hondas at that point, so it didn't make any sense! The DMV sent him the wrong sticker, making him have false hopes. It was so confusing though, because the dates for the cutoff between green and red sticker seemed to change from one person to the next. How many other states have the green/red sticker thing?

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Actually I got a red sticker for a green sticker bike (the KLX250) the first year of the program. I took it back to DMV to exchange it. They refused and told me there was no difference in the stickers. :yikes:

So, I "lost" it :p and got a new green one. Cost me $10, but worth it, I guess, to not get a ticket from a know-nothing ranger.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If the bike came from out of state, DMV couldn't have verified the bike, CHP has to. If they DID do it, that's why it got screwed up. The bike was probably labeled wrong. But, DMV has been known to make mistakes. lol Have him go to another DMV and talk to the registration supervisor. As long as it's an Arizona bike, it'll be fine.

CA still rocks, more riding areas then any other state and better weather. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom