More California Politics Denied Registration

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
I am pissed about this, I bought an 03 RM250 off eBay for Enduro’s, I made the USFS required change and added the FMF Q silencer/spark arrestor and did a host of other mods that transformed it from MXer to Enduro.
Got my red sticker temporary and was good to go till I got this letter 2 months later from the CA DMV saying they will not register it because the VIN# says it was not certified for sale in the state of CA.
I say ok what do I do? They say call CARB (California Air Resource Board) for what to do.
I call them and they say that IF I were able to get a letter from American Suzuki stating that it was certified for sale in CA and IF it were an 02 that they would give the CA DMV authorization to register it.
However mine is an 03 and they are not allowed period. I say what do I do? They say park it!

I only want to ride it in the closed course events, that’s all- not even any play ridding. Just 8 events per year. District 36 wants me to prove my participation in the green sticker program or they wont let me ride, I want to buy one but CARB tells DMV no.

What would you do?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
It's posts like this that make me glad I don't live out on the west coast.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
CA's laws are ridiculous!! :| Carb is a joke, my freind owns a watercraft shop and he has too post signs all over the watercraft in the showroom or he gets fined.. WHats worse is our firearm laws :|

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
I dont care how nice the weather or the women are just move :uh: All of the left coast tree hugging policies are a joke :eek:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I'm confused. I thought the Red/Green sticker program was implemented for these exact reasons. I didn't think a bike had to be 'designed' for a red sticker in CA.

Brian

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
It's a nitpick, but there are no enduros (in D36 at least) held on a closed course. I assume you're running the Hare Scramble series, and only point this out because mentioning "closed course" to a DMV person is likely to elicit some glazed eyes.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I believe that is how it works around here also on the east coast. With a street legal registration being required in case of short sections of roads or road crossings being incorporated into an enduro. Not quite sure but hope to find out soon on how enduros operate :)

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
I thought I remembered reading somewhere (dmv website I think???) that you could get a temporary DMV sticker to be legal in the red/green sticker program if your visiting cali from a different state.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
What is wrong with that state (CA)? I just read another post about them closing some guys private track on his own property for being dusty, WTF.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
NVRFNSH, it appears he may have purchased a non-USA model, e.g., from Canada. I have heard of those having problems getting registered in the U.S., specifically Caliban DMV.

Either that or somebody at the DMV is clueless and doesn't understand red stickers exist for non-(green)-compliant bikes.

Dirttrails, yeah, it used to be that you would just have to show the ranger or accosting officer your out-of-state I.D. (or just tell him you aren't a resident). I got away with that once on a new registered bike for which I had not yet received my green sticker. But now you've got to get some kind of out-of-state just-visiting permit from the DMV.

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
whatever. :|

move on over here to the wild west - we'll show you a good time! Hell over here we can carry a handgun whilst riding wherever the hell we want! :cool: :thumb:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by D36-108A

it appears he may have purchased a non-USA model, e.g., from Canada.

Talked with the ARB a couple weeks ago and this is their #1 target, people trying to register non-certified bikes in Ca. trying to beat the green sticker program; they will be issued nither red nor green and are for private property use only.

They ( the ARB ) have been fighting the industry (motorcycle) since 1977; In 1997 they tried to crack down on us; In 2003 they have pulled the plug.

They have grandfathered all 2002 and older bikes into the green program, as long as it is correctly certified, however the enviro-nuts want to sue over this.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
muscle,
I keep thinking about my dream of moving too AZ, the thought of having a choice too wear a helmet on a street bike and being able too pack :thumb:
DONT LET THE LIBERALS TAKE OVER!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It looks like JPIVEY is on to it. Sounds like a Canadian model because out of state bikes that are designed for the US are usually certified. It's all about the crackdown on bringing Canadian models into the state.

Don't think it's just the greenies that are fighting the battle, take a wild guess who ELSE would benefit if Canadian models aren't allowed in? DEALERS, they are losing money on these deals because no one wants to buy in the US, Canada has better prices, flat out. Unfortunately, this all comes down to people trying to circumvent the system and it's laws. In the end, it just turns out to be the shotgun effect and we all pay. The only way this can get resolved is to bring a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers to make them certify all bikes.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
The only way this can get resolved is to bring a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers to make them certify all bikes.

Do you mean green sticker - emissions & noise - compliance or USDOT type safety/emissions/noise compliance (I'm assuming there is a US 'standard' that even red sticker bikes in CA have to meet)? The few Canadian & Australian bikes I've seen appeared to have more 'stuff' than a Calif Red sticker bike.

Requiring all bikes to be certified for CA noise & emissions scares the poop out of me.... Can you say expensive lack of choice?

Brian

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
It is the emissions and not the DOT and it's not so much just CA. certified, it's US certified and then on top of that CA. approved.

ARB's biggest bitch is that the technology has been here for a long time to produced high proformance bikes ( including 2 strokes ) but seeing that the biggest market has been in the MX and not the off-road market, the manufactures choose to lag on it.

Expensive, maybe, lack of choices, No , they can all step up

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
Requiring all bikes to be certified for CA noise & emissions scares the poop out of me.... Can you say expensive lack of choice?

Maybe, but I can also say "Some manufacturers are too lazy to make a change unless forced to". KTM's been shipping green-sticker legal bikes that have fine performance and are quiet for a couple years now. When are Yamaha/Suz/Kaw/Honda gonna do the same?

(And yes, the legal KTMs are a little lean, but I haven't touched the jetting on mine and it runs fine. It's miles away from how choked the YZF/WRFs come from the shop).

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by treefinder
KTM's been shipping green-sticker legal bikes that have fine performance and are quiet for a couple years now. When are Yamaha/Suz/Kaw/Honda gonna do the same?

Agree with you 100% on 4strokes but I was thinking specifically about 2strokes regarding expensive lack of choice. I don't believe there are any green sticker 2strokes out there.

Originally posted by JPIVEY
It is the emissions and not the DOT and it's not so much just CA. certified, it's US certified and then on top of that CA. approved.

Are there Federal emission requirements for 2 stroke dirt bikes?

Brian

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Manufacturers won't bother to make a quiet, low-emissions two-stroke when people are standing in line to grab their ankles and pay top-dollar for a loud four-stroke.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by D36-108A
pay top-dollar for a loud four-stroke.

Well there going to have to step up to the plate now - that pesky 96dBA limit in CA to ride on public land. KTM meets it and I believe Yamaha can meet it with the GYTR insert in the stock muffler but is there any others?

I'm really curious see where 2 strokes go with the emissions issues. It's not just motorcycles - think weedwackers, pwc, leaf blowers and all kinds of other equipment. 4 strokes are great except for the weight & cost penalty. Good, fast or cheap? Pick two.

Brian

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
There are Federal emissions for 2 strokes, and there are California emission requirements as well. The deall that CA does is that it has to be Certified as well. Which I believe means the manufacturer has to step up and say they back their bike, and it will meet the CA standards for off road use and they will repair it if it doesn't, hence, it is "Certified". The confusion arrises when we think that if it complies, it's good to go. But per the ARB, it does not mean that. I told them that if it complied to CA standards then it should be fine, they said, no, it has to be certified as well. That comes from the manufacturer.

I personally think it's all going to blow up soon, like my top end! They can't decide which way they want to go on this, and DMV is along for the ride. ARB tells DMV what to do regarding this issue. And until they get everyone on the same page, or in DMV's case, the same book, it's going to continue to be confusing for us all. Supposedly, they grandfathered in the 2002 and older bikes to let them ride all year round. They probably had a number of riders they thought could ride and are trying and keep it at that. Maybe because the greenies had a number they want "0" and we had all of us, so they picked somewhere in between.;)

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
Like someone said before - Its a pain in the ace to work, drive, hunt, ride or live there so if it were me I'd move. No offense to those fellow Californians who also reside on this forum, just my view.

Top Bottom