yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
I started it up tonight before I changed the oil and after about a minute of ideling in the driveway I saw the header pipe start glowing a bright orange? Is this normal because it is such a cheep metal from the factory or could this mean my jetting is to lean?
Thanks in advance.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Glowing Head Pipe !!!

Yup, that's normal on the YZF's. It freaked me out the first time I noticed it as well, It looked like it was on the verge of melting :eek: !!! Even during the day, while sitting in the woods taking a break, I can see that sucker glow !!!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
And yes, that glowing red header pipe WILL catch things on fire!:scream: I just had this last weekend - pulled off the trail into dry ferns for some 4 wheelers, my mind thought of burning "hemp". I looked down and saw one of the ferns smoking and glowing off the pipe.

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
This site is great!

Thanks everyone. When I saw it I was a little scared but thanks to this site I got overnight posts and now I feel confortable to go ride right now. Im going out now so thanks everyone.
David

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I saw mine glowing the first time I started it after Eric and Rich put the 420 in it.... I was freaked! called Rich at home to see if I messed something up... It gave him a good chuckle. LOL Yup it is normal.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If it makes you guys feel any better. My buddy OT has owned more motorcycles than most of us have owned shoes and even HE freaked out and called me the first time he idled his 426 at night :)

yz400fer69 - The stock pipe is a good quality stainless steel piece. It's actually better quality than some of the aftermarket stuff I've seen.

Top Bottom