It's been fun guys, but I gotta quit

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
After 34 yrs I have decided to quit, Met the doctor last night for a consultation and left there with a 90 day supply of Zyban.

So I will be a 185 lb ( I hope ) non-smoker ( for sure ) by Aug. :scream: :aj:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Best of luck my friend. Tough road.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Should have got the Welbutrin. Much cheaper and covered by insurance. Good luck. It does work to beat the cravings but the habit is all mental. You will find that your taste buds will be a bit funky. That is part of the way the stuff works.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Go for it, dude! It's been nearly seven years for me, and I still shake my head when I remember that I was a "smoker".

It's great that you consulted a doc beforehand. I quit cold turkey. . .probably not a very good idea, but I did quit. Be prepared for your body to do some weird things for the next year. I seriously considered wearing Depends after I quit. There was lots of cheek clenching and short-step running going on. :eek:

If you make it stick, you'll get to play the self-righteous nonsmoker game like I do. Nothing gives me as much satisfaction as pissing off a militant smoker. I love going into a fight that I KNOW I'm gonna win.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'm thinking that instead of grabbing a smoke I'll go out to the garage and work off the desire to light up., I have a TV, Bowflex, treadmill and a stationary bike just sitting there collecting dust most of the time, It's a good thought at least, will see

Oh, and in the office, I have 3 girls watching me like a Hawk

Last edited:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I have a TV, Bowflex, treadmill and a stationary bike
A smoker with a treadmill now that is funny....... ;)

Seriously though, good luck. I have been there myself and I have to say it is well worth it. Although I was skinnier when I was smoking..... :debil:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em! :moon:

Seriously, I don't want to make anybody angry. I've done enough of that in my lifetime. But, while we're on the subject. . .why don't the rest of you guys quit?

JP, I put on a good 30 pounds after I quit. It took four years and a divorce before I lost it. :silly:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
It's the habit of smoking that's as hard to quit as the nicotine. Even once your body has rid itself of the toxin, your brain still has the mental fixation-- wake up, have a smoke. Eat dinner, have a smoke. Have a drink, and a smoke. Break yourself of the routine. Change up what you do, so you don't find yourself falling back into the habit. Buy stock in sugarless gum-- that's what I did, as I quit cold turkey. If you find you need the "oral fixation" :o , chew some gum. Don't substitute food (unless it's like carrot sticks or something) that's how you gain the weight. Keep a non-smoking friend around to keep you from going to the store. And try not to hang around with friends who smoke, at least for the first 6 months. Too easy to fall back into the routine, and they'll be the first person to let you bum a smoke!

Good luck, JPIVEY! You'll do it. :D

Oh, and start a savings jar. Put the money that you would have spent on ciggies every week into a jar. At the end of six months (and with the price of smokes these days!) you'll be able to buy some nice moto-goodies.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Good luck! I did the Welbutrin + patch routine, but failed after 3 weeks. (Yes, I'll admit I got weak.) Once you quit, resist the urge to try the "I'll just have one" routine. I snuck ONE after being off for 3 weeks, and quickly progressed back up to my usual pack a day. Looking back, it was easier to resist the cravings until I smoked the first one again.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by 380EXCman

A smoker with a treadmill now that is funny....... ;)

back when i smoked, i bicycled five days a week, practiced mx one day, and raced one day. i was in excellent shape. now, i'm a fat, old, lazy non-smoker. :o

but go ahead and quit...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im starting a program too quit smoking, kinda like AA for smokers.. Gonna try the patch, hope i quit!! Good luck JPivey!! Im hoping to be able too do more laps, thats my main deal too myself, plus Governor Davis wants to put another 50cent tax on a pack..

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks JPIVEY, we have nothing too lose in trying.. KTMBOY, funny quote!!HAHAHA

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Good luck, JP!

Oh and, Julius..... :moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Scared me for a minute there JP. Thought you were leaving us. :eek:

Good luck, quiting smoking was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It was worth it. ;)

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
Good luck! If the zyban doesn't work, don't give up. You owe it to yourself to keep trying :) It took a few tries, but the welbutrin finally did the trick for me. Of course watching my dad die of lung cancer had something to do with it too :(

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Hey man more power to ya. You never should have started in the first place. :confused:

no but really, good for you , i hope it workd out. After my grandfather had a stroke, the doctor said he had to quit smoking. He had absolutely no problem quitting.

I heard that chewing gum helps smokers quit, because it gives your mouth something else to do.

Go for it and good luck.

Marc

Top Bottom