It's official, I broke my foot doing nothing!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ive got a pair. I'm also sure that if I were wearing them when I fell I wouldn't have broken my foot.

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
MikeT, I did the exact same thing the day I brought home my DRZ. I was bummed at first when the doc told me 6-8 weeks and put me in a fiberglass cast. But then.....light shines above head.......no way I've got this new bike and I'm not gonna ride it. I pulled out a Sorel Pac boot, removed the liner and foot bed, had a friend make me a steel footbed, slipped it in the boot and whala! My casted foot fit in the boot. It was my right foot so I knew I could ride no problem. After two rides the cast broke so I went back to the doctor and told him to reinforce the bottom so I could ride. He did. Went riding again and broke it. This next time he fixed me up right and it held up to numerous rides until I was ready for the soft cast. 5th metatarsel(sp) takes a good bit of time to heal, breaking it is a common basketball injury.

BTW I broke it taking the trash out. Missed the step as well. Shhhhhhh!!!! A number of people have another version of what happened.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Sig, My wife wouldn't let me play with you!

You must have a really cool Doctor to work with you on cast construction. I bet I could ride with it the way it is, but if I broke it I'd never hear the end of it. I also broke my right foot. How did your foot feel after 6-7 weeks? Did it still hurt, or was it good to go?

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
MikeT after I'd say 10weeks there was no more pain at all. It's a weight bearing bone so it takes some abuse but I'm sure your doctor told you that. I could walk with no cast, soft cast as well, after about 6weeks. I wore some very supportive hiking boots and limped a bit. But at 10 weeks no pain no limp. My doctor was loving it, he was a rider as well, in his 60's. Everytime I'd come in he'd be like "what did you do now"? All the nurses thought I was nuts. But they all got a kick out of it. Here it is a year later and no ill effects whatsoever.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Did you ride at 6 weeks or wait a little?

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
I broke the bone on a Wed. night and was riding the following Sunday. I figured 10days was enough. I just doubled my milk intake. I had the doc cut the fiberglass cast off at 2.5weeks. He didn't really want to do it but I insisted and he relented. He advised against it but what does he know. After the fact he said my bone healed faster than any he had seen. We attributed it to the fact I was so active on it and treated it as if it wasn't even broken. Feels good now thats all I can say.

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
Even though the Doc said it was healed at 3weeks that thing hurt for another month and a half. I had some bruising as well so there must have been ligament damage and thats what was hurting. For a while I was wondering if I was ever going to be able to walk without a limp.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I guess mine is a little different because mine doesn't hurt at all but the Dr says to keep the soft cast on 3 more weeks.

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
IT IS COOL!

I broke my leg (Tibula/Fibula) on March 30. They said I would be riding in three months (9 days from now) But when I met with the doctor a month ago, I asked how long it will be till I can ride and they added another month onto that!! The reason for this is not because the bone is not strong, (the bone was great in a month and a half) but I really twisted my knee and ankle bad, and lost a lot of muscle. You gota remember though, that if you ride before you are healed all the way up you could easily re-break it BTW. I couldnt walk on my leg for a month and a half, and even then it was a walking boot. By about 2 months, I was walking without any support, just a regular shoe. Now, I just need to build up my calf muscle and I will be walking without a limp, and also riding!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Re: IT IS COOL!

Originally posted by KID KDX
You gota remember though, that if you ride before you are healed all the way up you could easily re-break it

I know, I know....... You are sounding like my wife, and both of you are right.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Re: Re: IT IS COOL!

Three more weeks!!!

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Well, I got back from the Doc. All she did was schedule another apointment for 6 WEEKS!!!! NOOOOO!!! If I can hop, run, and jump, on my bad leg by then I will be allowed to ride! NOOO!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Bummer KID. I thought I had it bad with 3 weeks! I'm geting tired of this sideline stuff.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
My attitude is if I can walk and there's little pain, I can ride. I found out 4 weeks after injury(mri) Tibia had crush fractures. I was riding fine after 3 weeks off. The only thing the doc warned me against was running, and I don't run with Tech8's on. Happy riding.

Last edited:

Lang

Dec 4, 2000
cast tip....

my brother break his "underarm" ( don´t know in english..).. well he races skis so my mother ( works at the x-ray in the hospital ) and the doc made an cast out of fiberglass ( same stuff that u fix sledhoods ) it was much thinner and stronger then a real cast, he could use it under his gloves and ski 2 weeks after the accident...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
That's something. Not only are people modifying their bikes to go faster, they are modifying their casts. Now that's the mark of a true racer! ;)

fisha69

May 30, 2002
I broke my Talus 2 months ago riding, and I still can't really jog. Can we talk more about your injury? PLEASE email me at davidfisher@videotron.ca thanks so much...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm sorry to hear about you breaking your foot and even more sorry I wasn't here early enough to make fun of you :)

Hey, what are friends for.

Heal quick dude.

BTW, check out the benefit race that Gomer posted in the General Forum. We are trying to hit that. It is for a good cause. Hope you can join in.

Ivan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm sorry to hear about you breaking your foot and even more sorry I wasn't here early enough to make fun of you :)
You are a BUM! :laugh:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Did you guys open this thread back up for me........i broke my foot 2 weeks ago, but avoided the doctor for fear of him putting a cast on, and I was back on the bike the next day....with a little trouble shifting.

I was loading the bike into the truck in the rain, and slipped on the ramp.  The foot peg came down on top of my foot, but it didn't hurt until about 15 minutes later.  It was the first day of a 3 day event at Paragon, and I wasn't going to miss the rest of the weekend, so I had the park EMT take a look at it.  He said it was probably a broken metatarsal, but suggested going to get it checked.   I figured the pain wasn't too bad yet, so I would see how it felt the next morning.  

The next day, the foot was sore, and a little swollen, but I figured I would try riding.  After some trouble getting my boots, I headed off on the trails.   Had trouble shifting since it was my left foot, so I tryed keeping the bike in second gear most of the day.  At the end of the day when I took my boots off, the foot was swollen, and 3 toes were completely black and blue.  The boot added enough support that I could walk with little pain, but with the boots off, I could put no weight at all on the foot.  Ohh well, I still don't want a cast on....I wanted to keep riding.  

Any way, it was about 1 1/2 weeks before the color was back in  my toes, and I could put any weight on the foot without shoes to add support.  Now it is about 2 1/2 weeks later, and the foot is still sore, but feeling better, and I am limping around, but I haven't missed a weekend of riding, and now I can shift again without any problems.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by fisha69
I broke my Talus 2 months ago riding, and I still can't really jog. Can we talk more about your injury? PLEASE email me at davidfisher@videotron.ca thanks so much...
I sent you an email. I'll tell you all you need to know, or at least what I know.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Actually Mike... if you could share here too it would be helpful.

I dropped Danny's YZ250 on my left foot the other day doing a wheelie and busted myself pretty good. I can walk on it but the top of my foot still hurts if I move my foot to certain positions. The top is still tender to touch.

I'd be interested in what you have to share.

Ivan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, mine was very severe, I actually kind of shattered it and did some ligament/tendon/cartilage damage. They say the bone shattered, I say, split into two large pieces and a couple of small fragments. The Doctor ended up putting in two titanium screws to hold it back together until it healed. After the surgery it still hurt when I bent it to it's edge of motion. I thought that the screw heads were hitting something so I had them removed about 1 year after the initial surgery. The Dr. told me that because I sheared the front off I may have cut the blood vessel that supplies blood to that bone and it may die (the bone that is). I panicked and prayed that I didn't cut it. Within a couple of months the Dr. said it was evident that I didn't cut it because the X-ray would clearly show it.

After I got my cast off from the second surgery I constantly pushed myself to get range of motion back into my foot. I pushed and stretched it multiple times every day. Every single day I pushed it and I did as many calf raises as I could. It seems to have helped a lot but I'll tell you this, it still hurts a little every day. I think it took about 4+ months before I could do a gingerly jog, I was excited none the less. I am still hoping that the pain will lessen over the years.

Now I don't want to put too much gloom on your day. Since the second surgery I have been able to jog, ride/race and RUN a few miles at a time (limited only by my physical condition, not my foot). I have run in TWO 5K running races and did many miles of training gearing up for it.

Here are a few pointers that the Dr. told me and I have used since. Go to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of NAPROXEN SODIUM. It is the same stuff as ALLEVE but costs half as much and you get twice as many pills. If your foot is hurting bad you can take (the Dr. told me this) two tablets every 4 hours even thought the bottle says not to take more than one tablet every twelve hours unless directed by a Doctor. I was directed, and he said he would have prescribed the higher dosage anyway. I try not to take the meds unless I really need them, so don't take them if they don't help. One tablet every 4-6 hours isn't going to do it either, you need to take two. When you get farther down the road and heal a little more, one will do it. I currently take none and have slight, mild pain every once and a while. If I know the wife wants to go shopping at Wal-Mart or the mall all day I would take one tablet before I went and all would be fine. You WILL get better.

Top Bottom