arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
I would take it to the shop, but I havent found a mechanic who can do it for me (I live in COlombia, no specialized husky mechanics here). My husky is not giving me more than 30 miles per 2gallon tank.

Should I do something to my carburator? I do trail riding, and dont go too fast. If you anyone could give me the proper diameter for those thingies that go in the carburator maybe I could change them!

Any ideas on what else it might be? Im also looking for the right heat range for my spark plug (I live 6500 feet above sea level)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I live in Colorado (5000ft) and rode my 1998 Husqvarna WR360 from 5000 to 9000 ft above sea level. I posted the jetting spec I had in an earlier post....do a search on WR360 and I think you will find it. I just can't remember the details with my old age. But jetting spec were posted by myself and others in this web site for the 2-stroke huskies.:)

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
Year, Model, size

What are the details of your Hisky:
Year:
Model:
CC:

I have a 94 360CR...modified.
On one Hare Scramble that I did, I got 9 MPG (Imperial Gallons, not those funny US things).

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
imperial gallons?

How much is an imperial gallon?

9 miles per gallon doesnt sound like much....

wr360

weimedog:
How many miles per gallon do you get?

Thanx guys

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
9 MPG

9 MPG = 7.5 Miles per US gallon (unless you have a different mile too!!).
Main Jet size: 480 !!!!

That is not the usual MPG, it happened to be a particularly tough and muddy hare scramble, more like a mini enduro actually - tough.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
When I ran Hare Scrambles I would get around 40 miles on a tank before I refueled, When trail riding the most I ever got was 60 miles on a tank..and that was easy riding. I don't know how that translates into MPG because I saw it was low and just refueled, I didn't make an exact measurement. When I brought it to the MX track to chase my kids, it just sucked down the fuel! One hour of riding and it was done.

I do know my main wasn't a 460! More like a 400. To get mine to run crisp I remember I ended up changing the slide, the needle, pilot, and main. Also grafted a FMF power core silencer to that bike. That required moving one of the muffler mounts on the sub frame to accomodate that FMF powercore. It made some difference but not as much as clearing up the jetting issues. Its worth going through the hassle of jetting it properly. Trust me on that.

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
My 360 is the CR, therefore I have a smaller tank and different jetting to start with. Furthermore it is modified thus requires a bigger jet. The jetting works extremely well with the 480 Main. As for MPG, you mentioned that it sucks the juice on the MX track. I spend most of my time Hare Scrambling and agressive trail riding, riding it very hard 90 % of the time.
With my small tank and thirsty riding I can not do 25 miles on a tank (found out the hard way, it cost me my first ever win) but I can do 20 miles for sure.
As for pipes, Husky were always very good at designing pipes that worked well, thus I saved my money there.

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
MPG

Im getting 30 miles on my 2 gallon tank...that doesn't sound too bad according to these past posts....HOWEVER, my spark plug is wet fouled, it shouldnt be, and therefore I WILL jet my bike properly - even though I have never taken a carburator apart.

What I'll do is Ill do some trial and error.....I want to go down from whatever size I have right? ( Since the mixture is rich)

I'll go down on the Pilot jet and cutaway controls and put the needle up a spot or two (this is what Cujet sugested and he explained why in a very informative email!!!) One problem though...how do I know which is which?!?!?!? I guess the needle is not to hard to figure out which one it is, but the other controls I havent been able to find any pics on the net. Anybody have pics to guide me a little plz??!!

Thanx!!!

One question though: Do i need to get specific jets for a husky or will any do?

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
Did it

I had some free time on my hands tonite.......took the carburator off and apart.

Its a "dellorto", made in italy. It has the print "VHSB37DS" on it.

Here's what I found guys: (Click on the link and it will take you to a picture where I have labeled what I can see. I see some numbers printed on some tubes, I guess that's what Im looking for...).

http://www.geocities.com/arequipep/dellortoVHSB37DS.gif

The link seems to be a pain , so if it doesn work just go to:
http://www.geocities.com/arequipep/
and click on the file: dellortoVHSB37DS.gif

I'll wait for you guys to let me know if these are the tubes (jets?) I need to change....I though the "needle" was gonna be easy to recognize...How difficult is it to find these jets?

I also thought I should let you know I'd like to keep or improve the bike's performance at low and mid rpms...will the jetting Im about to do affect that?

one of The floaters has the numbers "2/1" printed on it, and the other one has a "7/8"

Hope I can put it back together!!!!:confused:

Last edited:

PedroMx

Jan 12, 2001
Arequipe:

De izquierda a derecha en tu foto:
"38" es el jet de baja velocidad o LOW JET
"140" es el jet de alta o MAIN JET es sólo la piecita de bronce que ves arriba
"dq..." es lo que aquí llamamos la chimenea no se cambia excepto que el carburador directamente no funcione.
la pieza que va debajo de la lengueta donde tocan los flotadores es la válvula de combustible, ésta funciona igual que la válvula de un inodoro (aunque no suena muy bello...)
Los jets se cambian desenroscándolos, el cilíndrico con un destornillador (cuidado! de la medida exacta o arruinarás la boca del jet) y el hexagonal conviene usar una llave de boca o un tubo.
Te recomiendo lo siguiente:
primero: que yo sepa los jets Dellorto no son compatibles con los de otra marca,
segundo: no introduzcas ningún objeto en los orificios (mondadiente, agujas, etc...) pues alterarás el tamaño y cambiará la medida, es realmente muy fácil echar a perder éstas partes;
tercero: los riesgos de que te equivoques en el cambio de jets llega a una gripada o agarrada de motor (y el consiguiente llanto);
cuarto: mientras más fino hagas este trabajo el motor se pondrá más vivaz.

Por los números de los flotadores no te preocupes, son identificaciones de fábrica.

El jet de baja afecta más o menos el comportamiento del motor desde ralentí (es decir cuando dejas la moto andando con el acelerador cerrado) hasta 1/4 del giro del acelerador pero es muy dependiente del ajuste que se le haga al tornillo de baja (se encuentra fuera del carburador más o menos abajo del cañito de entrada de combustible), de ahí para arriba el que influye es el jet de alta. De tal manera que, si tu motor funciona mal en baja es el jet de baja el que hay que tocar y así. Pero recuerda que ésto es muy delicado y conviene avanzar sólo cuando tengas muy claro cómo avanzas.

Yo he podido carburar (así le decimos aquí) mi moto bien (Husky CR250 1999) y si tu quieres te indico cómo lo hice pero te aclaro que es larguísimo...

Espero que te sirva (y espero que no haya problema en escribirte en nuestro idioma...)

Pedro :)

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Arequipe, I'll go on in english as this info is usefull for others. My brother has a WR 360 1993 (they called it WXE in the US because Yamaha had the WR letters patented or something). What you wan to do is LOWER the needle, Which means removing the needle clip and putting it in a HIGHER groove. Please tell us what needle you are using (should be a K 50) and the size of the jet where the needle goes into (main jet). Let me copy a mail I sent to my Brother about this:

Imprímete esta página para que la guardes en tu manual de la
> moto:
>
> http://www.racecar.co.uk/dellorto/vhsb_parts_list.htm
>
> Tu carburador es un VHSB de 37 milímetros, usado en la 250 y en la 360
> durante 1992 y 1993
> La aguja que usas es una K50 (la original), y existen de la K1 a la
> K95.
>
> Stock viene con: (stock para tu moto, porque el carburador aparte viene
> con otros seteos de fábrica)
>
> Chicler de partida: 50
> Chicler de ralentí: 38
> Chicler principal: 195
> Aguja: K50
>
> En esta página está el detalle de las agujas de la familia K:
>
> http://www.swmeuropa.com/dellorto/technique/aiguilles/
>
> Al parecer tu situación se mejora con el uso de una K51 o K57, para no
> afectar la carburación
> en alta. En USA, lo más normal es irse a la K51.
>
> Dudo que sea fácil encontrar esas agujas en Chile, así que estoy
> buscando alternativas. El
> problema es que esa aguja es más delgada que lo normal (Keihin y
> Mikuni). Entiendo que las
> Huskys nuevas siguen con Dellorto, por qué no le preguntas a Winston si
> tiene?
>
> Chao,
>
> Guary

I hope you can solve this, and I would fiddle with the needle first and NOT the pilot.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Well you can through out my input as the Wr360 I had came with a Mikuni Carb...and the Jetting was based on the Mikuni TMX on my 1998 Husqvarna WR360. I never worked on a Del Orto until My new VOR.

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
Ok. Guys, thanx a lot for your help.

Im gonna go ahead and reply in english because, as Guaryzzzpode
said, this can prove helpful to others.

The needle is indeed a K50. It has 4 possible positions, and it was in the 2nd one from top to bottom. So I wanna go ahead and move it to the first spot right? I think I should do only this first, but, will 1 position make a big difference? My plugs come out wet fouled BIGTIME.

Please go to:
http://www.geocities.com/arequipep/
and click on idlejet.gif

This is the idle jet, and it controls 1/16 to 1/4 throttle. Am i right? its the one that reads "38" here:
http://www.geocities.com/arequipep/ and click on dellortoVHSB37DS.gif

Now, there is another jet under it, which is actually an "Idle jet emulsion tube". Should I also take that one out?

Do I wanna go down on the size of the idle jet (38 to 37 or 36) - solving the problem of wet fouling the plug

OR

Do I wanna go up on the size on this one (38 to 39 or 40), to improve bike's performance at low RPM's and go down on the main jet (140 to 139 or 138) to solve the wet fouling?

WOULD THIS BE TOO MUCH? WOULD I BE GETTING NEAR THE LINE OF BLOWING THE ENGINE?? SHOULD I FIRST SEE IF THE NEEDLE ADJUSTMENT DOES IT?

Im gonna start looking for the jets in the meantime. Let me know what you think I should do.

Last edited:

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Arequipe, go ahead and put the needle clip in the first groove. My brother already had his in the top groove, so that's why we were looking for a leaner needle.

ONE CLIP POSITION CHANGE WILL NOT BLOW YOUR MOTOR, and that's a fact!! (unless you were already lean, which is not the case by all means)

There's another method to use when you can't get parts to jet correctly, and it involves using hairs. Doesn´t last long, but can save you for a race.

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
one clip will make it lean, but lean enough to solve the wet fouling? OR do I also need to change the idle jet? Would changing it from 38 to 37 be enough or should I start with 36??
I found a store that carries Dellorto, Ill check it out today....

Last edited:

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
Always go one step at a time.
Start with the needle and asses the impact, perhaps even go a second notch if the first is not enough.
If still not enough, then put the needle back to were is was originally and change the jet, ONE size at a time.
PS where is the Dellorto place ?

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
dellorto

K. Ill do the needle thing first

The dellorto place is actually a KTM dealer (I live in Colombia thougjh...) They carry dellorto parts because KTM's used to come with Dellorto carbs.,..

They're cahrginf me like 10 bucks for each jet (And i dunno yet if they do have the ones I need, Im stopping by today). Isnt that expensive?!?! It looks like just a screw!!!

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
1st try - No success

Thursday Sept 6th - 11 PM

Just had my first try. Didnt succeed.

I placed the needle in the first of 4 possible possitions, and changed the pilot jet from 38 to 37. Ran the bike in 1/16 throttle for like 4 minutes. The plug came out wet fouled.

Next: I'll go down to 34 on the pilot jet, and place the needle in the 3rd (2nd from bottom) slot. :p

Any thoughts? OurManFlint.....I know you said one step at a time, do you think going all the way down to 34 is too much? Im not gonna ride it after the mods, I test it in the garage......

Last edited:

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
Friday. midnight.

2nd and 3rd try.

2nd - Idle jet 34, needle in 2nd to bottom position. Wet fouled
3rd - Idle jet 34, needle in top position. Wet fouled.

I've seen no diference in the way the plugs are fouled....Is there any chance that jetting might not be the cause? I let the engine run idle for like 5 mins before looking at the plug....

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Arequipe, afew points here. When you say Wet fouled, do you mean the plug is wet and does not work anymore? Or it still works? Remember plug reading for jetting is not a good system, and aboslutely useless for throttle opening below 1/2.

I would not go below the 36 on the idle jet, as making it too lean there can kill the motor quickly. You have even tried different sizes with no success, so that jet is not the problem.

One question, when above 1/2 Throttle, does the bike run well? does it open up? or even overheat?

If with all this testing you have not solved the problem, you have only two alternatives:

1. Change the needle, the number will depend on the answer to the above questions.

2. Change the slide. You can do this by yourself, but it's not revesible.

PS: I heard Enduros in Colombia are crazy. Coming down from the sierra all the way to the beach sometimes. The Klempau Brothers used to live and race there, and now they're here in Chile.

PedroMx

Jan 12, 2001
Arequipe
Guaryzzzpode

Muy señores míos:

Mi intención al responderle lo que SE acerca del tema de su consulta en NUESTRO idioma fue para establecer un contacto más cálido y ameno; para que, ante el problema técnico que Ud. tiene la barrera idiomática no sea causal de la falta de resolución de su cuestión y por pensar que un idioma tan rico y descriptivo como el nuestro es técnicamente viable.

Por otro lado, Sr. Arequipe, su pregunta denota su desconocimiento sobre el tema y sin saber su capacidad financiera asumí (de la misma forma que lo hicieron varios hermanos de DRN) que sería de su interés no destruir su motocicleta e indicarle que avanzara sobre las modificaciones de manera gradual y MUY meditada. El carburador no es un juguete y es un mecanismo que no tolera las equivocaciones, he visto a demasiados amigos causarle un daño significativo a sus máquinas por modificar sin saber cosas que prima facie resultan simples por su aspecto exterior.

Por último, Hermanos SUDACAS (así nos dicen en la ¿madre patria? a los latinoamericanos), es acaso necesario aclarar que "...sigo en inglés porque sera de utilidad...". NO.

Que yo sepa no es necesario lamer ninguna bota en la comunidad DRN para ser parte de ella.

Pedro
Provincia de Mendoza
Argentina

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
oops...plug reading not for jetting?!

The plug comes out wet but it still works....

I rode the bike yesterday with the last set up (34 idle, needle top clip), and noticed no change at all. The bike runs perfect, It never bogs, and it opens up at a point which I feel comfortable with.

Performance was never the problem, it was fuel consumption. Im not even making 15 miles per gallon, but apparently that is normal.

I'll take the bike to the carwash today and work on it tomorrow, I'll let you know how the plug comes out. Just a hunch here, I had to change the plug once yesterday, and it came out a little black, not too much carbon, just enough to cover the tip and make it look black. This is indeed a change cuz it always came out wet.

Overheating? Well it did overheat at a point, but it was a very slippery part and I had to rev the engine up BIGTIME and for a long period of time (at least 3 mins)....is this not normal?

Enduro in colombia? ITs awesome. However, I've only been riding for 8 months so I havent been around as much. I've only ridden in the region of the cordillera central, but you get to find everything - from deserts to rocky terrain to muddy hell!!! Whats it like down in chile? Chilean people are supposed to be really good at enduro....

Thanx y'all!

Pedro: No se ofenda, la razon por la que escribi en ingles es porque:
1. Puede haber alguien alla afuera con mi mismo problema - y la idea de este forum es ayudar
2. Alguien que habla solo ingles aya afuera me puede ayudar

Obviamente tengo poco, si no ningun, conocimiento sobre esto, por eso pregunto. De todos modos gracias.

Last edited:

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Arequipe, it really is a strange situation where you feel the bike runs OK but consumes more gas than a Monster Truck.

One explanation could be that you bike has a huge potential, and due to the rich jetting, you are just using like 70% of the power. Have you been able to ride some other Husky 360?

I wish James Dean could come in here, as he is the most kowledgeable guy around here (maybe not in DellOrtos).

And Pedro, we are not licking arse here, but just trying to get help. If it's in Russian, then let it be. It's just not polite to talk in a language that some of the present do not speak or understand.

And be prepared to have the Chileans win the Rally por Las Pampas!!

Top Bottom