YZ426Rick

May 24, 2004
I read somewhere that you should open the throttle when are about to land a big jump (just as you are about to land ie. approaching the downward slope of the jump). I heard that this helps soften the landing by transmitting your downward force forwards.

My question has 2 parts:

1) Is this statement true?

2) If this is true then. . . I ride a 2002 Yz 426 and after I've stabbed the rear break in the air to drop the front end the engine usually stalls. The power then returns as soon as the rear tire hits the downward face of the jump. Is this a normal characteristic of the four strokes? Should I pull in the clutch while in the air to prevent the bike from stalling, thus enabling myself to apply power on the way down (and thereby softening the landing)?

Thanks.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Landing on the gas effectively stiffens the rear suspension on any bike, not just four strokes.

Any time you are going to tape the rear brake in the air, you need to pul the clutch. As it sounds like you have figured out, it gets *real* quiet flying through the air on a dead engine bike. :)

I'm surprised your 426 starts back up when you land. Many of the 4 strokes without the auto compression release will just lock up the rear wheel when landed dead.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
also when you land just with the back tire just a little off, say if you scrubbed speed on a jump, then you should always gas it real good(depending on surface conditions of course) just to suck the real wheel back under you and eliminate any chance of swapping and getting pitched off.

YZ426Rick

May 24, 2004
Thanks guys. It really is a scary feeling when you're flying through the air in complete silence, I kinda figured I was doing something wrong.

By the way, I'm new to the DRN site and I am truely impressed with it. Keep it up!!

Thanks again.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Before you stab that rear brake pull the clutch and keep your revs a little above idle, or instead you could just chop the throttle slightly to drop the front end. Also is your front is low you can rev the engine to bring it up, try this a little at a time or you'll endo or loop out and well, you'll be doing some time on the couch! A dead engine in the air scares the hell outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YZ426Rick

May 24, 2004
Good advice, thanks.

I just realized that I've got another question about jumping my flying brick.

I was just at Hollister (in cental CA) about a week ago and they've got a great public track with a few great jumps (real steep 35' table tops). I noticed that I could hit the jump hard with a lot of speed and the front end would be up (nose high) as I crested through the apex or middle of the jump. After a few tries at bringing the front end down with the back brake (and getting the silent treatment from the stalled engine) I started pushing the handle bars forward mid air and this made me come down front end first just like I wanted. Is this a normal / good method of controling your mid-air pitch, or should I use the clutch with back brake technique instead? What do the pros do?

Thanks!!!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've heard that many good riders believe that the brake tape should only be used in extreme circumstances and that if you use proper body position on takeoff, you won't need to use the rear brake.

Some of this was discussed in this one: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=97482

With current 4 strokes, and especially the 426, merely letting off the throttle in the air gives almost as much effect as hitting the rear brake, anyway. I rarely hit the rear brake in the air anymore. I do run my idle a little higher than normal to keep from stalling in the air when I do hit the brake, though.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Yes, you should be adjusting the attitude of the bike with your body (ie, pushing the bars down or shifting your weight) as opposed to panic braking. Once you get the hang of it, it is easier than panic braking. As mentioned above, the engine braking of the four stroke may help you out with this also.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
rotating the bike in the air as you discovered is just fine to line the bike up with the landing ramp

Must be nice to ride in California

I once, when i switched from 2 stroke to 4, rode my KTM off a loading ramp, big pile of dirt at a riding area that was designed to back up your truck to and roll the bikes off, well i thought it would be cool to ride off this thing and drop the 3-4 feet to the ground, land on both wheels- NOT - I closed the throttle and thought i would just float off this thing at about 5mph ( as if a 300 lb bike is going to float) and the front wheel nosed over and I went into the bars pretty hard - but them good ole marzocchi forks kept me from going all the way over - but that was when i learned that closing the throttle on a 4 stroke is not smart unless you want the front to drop right now.

YZ426Rick

May 24, 2004
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Gomer thanks for the link to the old thread, and the advice about increasing the idle. That old thread has some great links and pictures. Is that you boosting that step-down? Nice!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!

Top Bottom