cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
I just bought a cr 250. Im going ride with a bunch of experienced riders, and I was hoping to get a couple jumping techniques so I dont look such like an @$$. I mean when I about to hit a jump a slightly stand up and get on the throttle a little and hope the jump goes okay.

Any tips?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
steady throttle, watch a supercross and notice the stance for jumping, practice small and go faster as you get more comfortable, watch out for kicker style jumps(like large bumps) they will kick you over the bars unless you blip the throttle as the front tire leaves the ground

thats all for now, practice is all that can really help :cool:

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
just watch some evil Kanevil clips of him jumping. That is perfect form! Or if you don't have access to any of evil's video footage just get a G.I Joe doll and notice how the arms and legs are perfectly stiff and straight, that is the form you want!

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
1, if your going to ride with some experienced riders, the best kind of advise, is "right there at the track" advise. Don't be afraid to ask some more experienced riders, for advise. Most of the "seasoned" riders don't mind to pass on a few tips to new riders.
2. Jumping looks cool, and feels cool, but when your rear wheel is off the ground and not driving you forward, you are loosing time. And this is critical when you are a begginer, so if you practice on you fundamentals like keeping the brakes on late into a corner, proper body positioning, elbows up, weight transfer, clutch and shifting, standing and sitting when needed, attacking rutted sections etc. etc.... Then before you know it, you will be more comfortable with the jumps because you should have a better fell with the bike. But that's just me.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I agree with Wraith. And the best jump is one after a turn that you're having problems getting the speed up for. The first time you nail the corner so you've got the momentum to clear it, what a rush!

Though there are ton's of tips and things to remember (I've posted things I've learned recently at riding class), if I had to put the single biggest thing down that helped me jump more smoothly and safely its to be back on the gas when you land. This pushes the bike forward and helps absorb the landing and also will straighten the bike up if its whipped on you at all.

Nov 21, 2005
Landing

I am quite new to jumping and i wonder how to land properly as smooth as i can, me and my mate have made a track in his field and we have made a jump on to of a drop, there is a slight down hill landing, but i am concerned about landing the jump incase i fall and injure myself. Please could you tell me how to land this type of jump.

cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
Alright, well I went on my little trip, and did awesome. I busted my ARSE when my bike went vertical on me. It took me a while to catch on to how they were jumping, but I got it. The best way to explain, how to make a jump good is by getting on a BMX bicycle and bunny hopping it. Notice when you do this, once the front wheel is up you kick up the back.

That worked for me any how! hope this helps.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
leojoshuasmith said:
I am quite new to jumping and i wonder how to land properly as smooth as i can, me and my mate have made a track in his field and we have made a jump on to of a drop, there is a slight down hill landing, but i am concerned about landing the jump incase i fall and injure myself. Please could you tell me how to land this type of jump.
An important technique that most people have trouble with initially is landing with the front wheel slightly before the back wheel. This does a couple things:
  • If you are slightly sideways, you can have the front wheel pointed in the direction you want to go and the rear will tend to follow it.
  • You can/should be landing with the throttle on. Having the front land first allows you to be on the gas and accelerating as soon as you hit. The pull of the motor on the chain adds a stiffening effect to the rear suspension and will help absorb the landing more.

The last thing you want to do is land rear wheel first. If you do that, you have to be off the gas and wait for the front to be slapped down violently before you can get back on the gas. Slapping the front down, jerking the bars out of your hands, and possibly being thrown over the bars are all ill effects of landing rear wheel first.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
cnl83 said:
I did not know that, I was under the impression rear slightly before the front for a clean landing.
The only time I land rear wheel first (intentionally) is when I expect a really hard hit on the landing. At those times, I also try to position my body father back so that when/if my body gets slammed down onto the bike, I'm not creating any new scars when my head hits the handlebars / clamps / front brake reservoir / etc.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
leojoshuasmith said:
do you know what the brake tap does, and how to do it. :ride:

When you tap the rear brake in the air, the front wheel will dip down. This is because the energy from the spinning wheel has to go somewhere, so it goes to the bike, which makes the front end dip. Or its something like that.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
When do tap the brake, make sure to pull the clutch first. Hit the brake hard enough to completely stop the rear wheel from spinning. I saw an excellent video about it once (Bubba was demonstrating). I think it was on Transworldmotocross.com. But I can't locate it right now.

Last edited:

Top Bottom