Just bought a pretty rough 95 KDX 200

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I got tired of wrestling the KLR-250 around in the woods, and decided to get a real woods bike, and the kdx looked like just the ticket. Lurked on Craigslist a bit, and found one within a couple of hours for $1000. Checked it out, and it was REALLY rough, so we made a deal for $850.

Got it home tonight, and the more light I have, the more "hobby work" I see :)

When warm, the thing ran *great*, so I am not worried about major mechanical issues yet. But now that it's cold, the kick starter slips (which is hopefully just a sprung engagement spring), and the enricher post won't stay up. Anyway t was too late to start the thing without ticking off the neighbors anyway.

So tomorrow, I will power wash off the decade of dirt, and put a cable tie to stiffen up the enricher rubber thingy, and get it warmed up and start building a list of projects. I tore an ACL on the KLR-250 on new years day, so I bought this as a project to work on during rehab anyway. Hopefully by fall, both my knee and the KDX will be rebuilt and riding the woods again.

So anyway, I am just saying hello, and from the looks of this bike, I will be fixing... most things... before I am done. I rebuilt the KLR-250 from more or less "in a bucket", and this one looks both better then that one was when I started, and much simpler to rebuild regardless. Its beautiful in its simplicity.

This is my first two stroke, so I have a lot to learn. My other bikes are the KLR-250 (for sale now) and a Buell XB9SX (which they will pry from my cold dead fingers)... so I will have played with OHC, Pushrod air cooled twins, and now water cooled two strokes. I'm looking forward to getting to know the motor.

Now off to find a service manual...

Nice to meet you all!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Project for sure! I have the airbox out and the back end apart... a previous owner had broken the rear seat subframe, and driven a steel rod into it to splice it back together. An admirable hack to finish a ride, but not exactly a long term fix. So I stripped out all the melty bits, and I will weld it up tomorrow. It looks like there is supposed to be a brace that goes between the two posts under the seat, so I will have to fabricate something on there as well, and try and bend it back all straitish.

And I have a list of parts I see I need as I go through the bike... its getting really long.

The bike is cleaning up nicely though, and it'll be nice to rescue another bike from the grave...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom