Ryan_KDX

Aug 18, 2002
This is horrible, out of a 3.1 (3.2?, its stock) gallon tank, I'm lucky to get 23 miles before I have to switch on reserve. The carb was just serviced to fix a float problem (The needle wasn't closing all the way, so the bowl was flooding way too easily). I dont know what else to do. I don't know what else to tell you guys, so If you have any ideas or need more info just post back.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Ouch, I get 65-70 on the stock. I think it's a 2.9. You probably still have a float problem. Thats my first guess. Aslo, check your jetting. It shouldn't affect gas mileage like that, but who knows.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
OUCH!!! What kind of riding do you do?!

That would make sense if you ride somewhat slow sand or really tight trails, but other than that that's worse than a Chevy 8.1 liter V8!!!

I usually can get about 15mpg in sand/trails, and roughly 22 more open rides (4th-6th gear riding.)

The only thing I can think of is the float, jetting won't let you get that crappy mileage without fouling a plug every 5 minutes.

When my KDX was spitting gas out I just kinda guessed and bent the float arm down a few mm, perfect now. ;)

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
The longest ride I ever made on my KDX was 60 miles, and I didnt hit reserve. In fact in 8 years owning the bike, I never once turned it to reserve.

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I have a 02 KDX 200 witha FMF pipe and Turbine core 2 silencer. The jetting is stock. I ride only in the New England area. THe furthest I have gone so far without hitting reserve has been 47 miles.AT this point I still had gas in the tank. I am guessing I could go about 60 miles before I would run out

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
ryan:
Jetting and riding style/terrain is key to range differences.

With 160/40/CEK-4/#7TV KG30 in the sand on the coast I get less than 40 before reserve.

With 152/40/BEL-2/#6TV KG35 in the woods I get over 60 before reserve.

With 42/150/1173L-5/#7TV KG30 in high (to 7500') woods got me the best looking plug in EVERY circuit (a first!)...and 72 miles before reserve.

Big difference!

I got 20 miles out of a tank once. Mis-jetted and severe riding (coastal dunes WOT all the time) was the basis for that.

How is your carb jetted? Ever checked it?

Does your bike piddle gas when it's on the kickstand?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Ryan,

Is you KDX an E model (89-94) or an H model (95-02)? E model tank is 3.1 and H model tank is 2.9. Shouldn't make a difference though. Both should be good for at least 50 miles of normal riding.

uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
We ran my wifes 220 out of gas at 72 miles. My WR 426 only used 2 gallons at the same mileage, I towed her the last 6 miles. Kevin

WR426
99 220
91 200

Ryan_KDX

Aug 18, 2002
My bike is a 96, with an FMF pipe and an Answer Spark arrestor. I ride in mostly loose and rocky trails, with lots of steep hills (Carnegie SVRA in Tracy, CA area). I just went and pulled the plug (a B8ES) and it was black and wet. I run an oil mixture of 44:1 at sea level.

canyncarvr: The bike was piddling gas when it was on the stand, but had the carb serviced to stop that. As of now, I don't know what size my jets are but I will take the carb off and find out within a couple of days.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The gas piddling part may indicate a too hi float level. That will richen things up a bit. Stock setting is 16mm (or make the float mold lines parallel to the carb body with the float tang JUST touches the needle pin.

Mine is set to 17. Stopped it's irritating urinating in public.

If you don't know what jets are in your bike, I'll bet'cha they're wrong.

Go here:
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net
(CDave's site)
for excellent jetting information.

Is the pipe a -30 or a -35? The -30 jets richer than the -35 does..by a good size on each the pilot and main.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom