kdx 200 transmission is being weird 1988

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Alright,so my bike is working great and im glad i got it for 400$

ive dump it twice, the first time i dumped it it became extreamly hard to shift. eventualy i got it up one and up one and got it working, still hard but worked

then i kept riding it, it went back to normal.

then i dump it today,not even bad, just fell over with the bike because my foot was in a hole, now it wont stay in gear,it will stay in first,sometimes second and so on,but it will pop out randomly

is there a reason why when i dump it my tranny dies?

i hope it comes out of it, i dont wana split the cases :(

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I've dumped my old 86 KDX about a bazillion times, and it has had the shift lever bent too. In the 24 years that I have had it, I've split the cases twice to rebuild the crank and replace the main bearings and seals. Not once has any of the gears or shifting forks shown any signs of abnormal wear....but it sounds as though you may have bent a shift fork. Drain your tranny oil and see if it has a lot of shiny metallic "dust" in it, or little metal whiskers on the drain plug if you have a magnetic one. But first, visually check your shifter to make sure that it isn't bent or pushed inward on the shaft, and hitting something on the engine casing, causing it to not not shift properly.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
i did drain and change my tranny oil after the first time,when it was hard to shift and was looking for chunks of metal, or anything, didnt see anything then..

but now that i think about it i think i did see some metal wiskers as you put it, on the threads of the drain plug, what does this mean

i figured it was just somthing else and cleaned it

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
The amount of times I have heard "It wasn't working right so I kept on riding it..." :coocoo:

If it isn't working right !STOP! riding it. It's a machine, it won't fix itself. If it isn't the gear lever hitting something and the lever is tight on the spline, start pulling it appart.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Joburble said:
The amount of times I have heard "It wasn't working right so I kept on riding it..." :coocoo:

If it isn't working right !STOP! riding it. It's a machine, it won't fix itself. If it isn't the gear lever hitting something and the lever is tight on the spline, start pulling it appart.

Can't argue with that! ^

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'd pull the clutch cover and look at the shifter mech. from that side and the end of the shift drum ought to have a sping action roller that keeps the drum where you put it untill you shift again, also check the inside of the clutch cover the shifter shaft may have crushed a little built in stop on the cover.

like said above stop riding it and fix it

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
the funny thing is,it did fix itself, it was working hard i kept using it it went back to normal

anyway

one thing i forgot to mention was there is a spring externally holding the shifter from flopping when i got the bike. i just figured it had a busted bring somone else, but it might have somthing to do with my troubles

without the external spring the kickstarter just flops all around

ill post pics

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
:rotfl: :rotfl: Okay....that picture right there is just horrible, and if I went to buy a bike or look at a bike that had that on it, I would seriously run the other way. :yikes: :nod: Better check to see if the shift star is put together right and has it's spring on it. Hope you have a technical manual so you can see how it is supposed to be assembled. Inspect it now while you still have at least some of your transmission parts still intact. :whoa:

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
well, it was 200$ and runs great, ive put like 15 hours on it and this is its first problem, im glad i didnt run the other way ,i really like the bike and i think i can probably get this fixed and the bike will still be a really good deal

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
csdwarf said:
well, it was 200$ and runs great, ive put like 15 hours on it and this is its first problem, im glad i didnt run the other way ,i really like the bike and i think i can probably get this fixed and the bike will still be a really good deal
Sorry, but when I see stuff like that, it makes me wonder what else is bailing wired, zip tied, JB Welded, etc. that I can't see on or IN the machine. Better you should know everything that is wrong with it up front so you can fix it before any more damage is done. Just sayin'.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
yeah, i deffinitly see were your coming from, but when i bought it i knew it was a bike i was willing to put a little money into it, and even if it cant be fixed( i know it can be) im not down much money.

i dont belive the engine has ever been apart, it does apear the flywheel has been off, but the owner mention somthing about it shearing a flywheel key, so that would make sence, no damage done,just noticable removal without puller.

ill take the clutch cover off tomorow and look, if i see nothing wrong ill pull the engine order up some bearings and seals and go in for the rebuild lol

is there anywere i can just get a kit with all bearings and seals to redo the engine? thanks

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
csdwarf said:
the funny thing is,it did fix itself, it was working hard i kept using it it went back to normal
No, the symptoms just went away to resurface later along with the extra damage you have probably done by riding it in that condition.

Anyway, enough said by me, you either get it or you don't.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
took it apart, just the level peice that held it in gear busted, ordered a new one, will be here next week and it will be alive again, also ordered a spring so i dont have to have that external one

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Looks to me like someone added that external spring as a poor man's 'brake snake', except they did it on the shifter side..

Basically, its purpose is to keep brush from jamming between the frame and the shifter or brake.

Top Bottom