BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by woods_rider1
What other mod will cost you $400 - $700?

A steering damper, to name one.

But I agree with you that getting your suspension right, while it can sometimes be pricey, is money well spent - no matter what brand you ride.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
one thing you can do other than putting the 200 engine into the 125 chassis is put a kx 125 gas tank seat and graft the kx 125 subframe, and plastic onto it and it will look almost the same exept for the suspeners.....
I have a friend that did that exact same thing I helped him and it looks so much like a 125 and like mine you can scoot way up farther on the tank.:)

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
I guess when I say cheaply I ment $500 or less.I've only tried different oils,springs and adjusted clickers and had good results.I'm not a racer and I don't know what I would ask for if I did send them in for a revalve.As for the rear style of suspension on the KTM's didn't all the Jap bikes try it already?I remember my old Yamaha was a Mono shock.I thought if it were the wave of the future the new CRF bikes would have it also.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by BRush
Does any one really think you "get money back" from dirtbikes? C'mon, let's be serious! Dirtbikes suck up disposable income like a shop vac on steroids. What you get back is tremendous fun, not money... which leads me to my second favorite bedtime story: That KTM riders take their bikes home and never spend another dime for mods. This is like bigfoot, a mythical creature that people talk about, but no one has ever seen. All the KTM riders I know buy steering dampers, have their suspensions revalved and resprung, change bars, buy EE clutch levers, bar inserts, seat foam, seat covers, add rotor shark fins, skid plates, pipe guards, graphics kits ... the list goes on. In short they do all the stuff we enthusiasts like to do irrespective of the bike (no doubt this statement will cause the one KTM rider in North America who has a bone-stock bike to post in protest ).

I have a ktm 125 exc and I think you hit the nail directly on the head with your reply.

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
DougRoost I have the answer.Since the KDX doesn't do much for ya and something keeps holding you back from buying a pumpkin why not a 97 WR250.I'm sure you could find one in really good condition.The country is full of garages with barely ridden bikes in them.I've bought and sold many used bikes including three YZ250s of different years and all were good bikes.Please buy something ,I don't think I could bare another ritual Homage to the KTM Gods.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Oh!

Originally posted by thermal

I have a ktm 125 exc and I think you hit the nail directly on the head with your reply.

So you're the guy that bought the 125 E/XC!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Sorry to cause you angst Flashburn, I've really been wanting to ride them to make the call. But I'm going to get a new '02 KTM 200 E/XCs soon. Plan to keep the KLX as well since it's just a great bike -- we'll see how long the wife let's me do that.

kdxer220

Jul 7, 2003
it seems as though all you ktm 200 riders are saying how much faster your ktms are than our kdxes but in reallity it doesnt matter how much power your bike has if you arent skilled enough to use it. But sure even if it is faster our bikes coud be ridden all day and they will soak everything. These bikes are perfect. Why do you think Kaawasaki doesnt change a thing. No pumpkin envy for me.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ha!

And I thought marty took this to the top this time!

Yeah....so for once in a lifetime I could pull a 200exc on a kdx 200.

So? Just so happens the guy riding that ktm can whup my arse if he's riding his kid's now-retired cr80r....or a monkey (if you know what that was)...

He could prolly do as well on a barcalounger too, though. ;)

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Here is another thing to think about I have a kx200 and a stock kdx220 and have ridden a Gas Gas 200 the Gas Gas is a mix of both. The ktm was a little tall to me but it was thin. My old KX200 is still just as fast even if it is a 1989 motor. Just have fun and ride! it could be worse you could be riding a Quad
(poop wheeler)

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Can somebody give me more information on how to remove the power valve spring on my 99 KDX 200 and what the difference would be? I would like to revove mine and see the difference and determine my self if I like it out or if I should put it back in, thanks guys.

BB007

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
bboo7
I don't see this thread as applicable to KIPS issues on a '99. Do you?

Start a new thread with your question. You might state it a bit more specifically, as there is more than one spring....although I assume you are talking about the main shaft spring, not the actuator shaft spring.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I thought the thread about the KDX and KTM was great. I personally have a '99 KDX 200 and love it. Everyone says the KTM comes with the best of everything and you won't have to change anything. Well that's cool but I'm like the rest of you out there.....I love to tinker. I love to change things on the KDX, make minor and major improvements. I don't want a bike that I can't do anything to except boring maintainance. That's the beauty of the KDX, their all individualized and it was fun doing it. This site gives you endless possibilities of improvements that satisfy that tinker lust. So whatever you got, enjoy it. Ride on KDX riders!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
The KTM sure is a nice peice of hardware..no doubt..If ride was all I do, I suspect one may appeal to me..but I like to do a lot of things and owning the best of everthing is not feasible nor fair to the family.

But the tinkerer has a soft spot for the green underdog. Its the process that appeals to many, vs the end result.

Likely this bunch is simlarly improving other vehicles in the stable; I'm often tweaking my truck and boat; the whole bunch work and look better than factory by large margin..It fustrates me more to buy something nice and watch it age, deteriorate and fail, than to take something out of prime and make it shine.

We may look to some like we're trying to polish a turd...so what.. :) ..I personally don't ride nor want to ride enough to warrent buying a bike of that caliber..

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The ONLY thing that the KDX and the KTM 200 have in common is the 200. They are two completely different bikes designed for two completelyl different riders. the Kaw is designed for slow tight almost trials type riding - - - and if that is the type riding you do the bike works admirably. The KTM can't touch it on bowling ball mountain. The KTM was designed for the other end of the spectrum - - going flat out, enduro & cross country racing. IF you keep the speed up it does it very well. Here, the KDX loses sight of the orange pumpkin really fast. If you try to make either bike do what the other one was designed to do, you are going to end up spending a whole lot of money, It's not going to do what it was originally intended to do nearly as well and you're still going to be disappointed. When I want to go really fast, I load up my KX. If its going to be a rock crawling day, the KDX is on. I just haven't figured out what to do on those mixed days ? ? ?

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by kdxer220
it seems as though all you ktm 200 riders are saying how much faster your ktms are than our kdxes but in reallity it doesnt matter how much power your bike has if you arent skilled enough to use it. But sure even if it is faster our bikes coud be ridden all day and they will soak everything. These bikes are perfect. Why do you think Kaawasaki doesnt change a thing. No pumpkin envy for me.

I absolutely LOVED my '03 KDX 220. Until I rode a freind's wife's KTM 200. I could ride SO much faster, not from a power perspective, but a suspension perspective. And this was a '98 model that had conventional forks. The difference was unbeleivable. Within two weeks, I had a new KTM 300 EXC. Your right about the skill level, versus bike, power, etc. I have a freind that uses a KDX for trail clearing, but rides a CRF450. He is ALMOST as fast on the KDX, and probably not as tired at the end of the day. He's way faster than me on anything. But the quality of suspension, stump pulling torque, and ripability of my 300 pegs the fun dial well past where the KDX did. It is effortless to ride in many tough areas, just because of the smooth power, and the amount of power in reserve, and becuase the suspension absorbs hits so much better. Granted, there might be situations where my old KDX would work better, but on the average, the KTM excels most of the time. That still doesn't mean the KDX is not a great bike, because it certainly is. And it costsless money, something that is a very important factor for many. It all goes back to one thing. There are many choices out there, and every bike does what is does in a little different manner, and everybody is after something a little different than the next guy.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by thermal
Why does the kdx turn better and why does the ktm vibrate your hands and can anything be done to improve these traits on the ktm?

There is an aftermarket CDI relocater kit that allows the steering stops to be turned WAY in that allows the KTM to turn MUCH sharper. AND.....my '03 KTM 300 EXC doesn't have as much vibration transmitted through the handle bars as my '03 KDX did, and the KDX was even rubber mounted!

CycleToad

Apr 23, 2001
After recently moving from a modified KDX to a stock KTM 200 I would like to offer a few observations for those considering a change or perhaps regretting their decision.

First, my KDX inspired to me to ride better, harder, and to truly learn how my bike ticked with the help of this forum. It was fun--period. Fun to tweak, fun to ride, fun to wreck, to fix, and fun to read about. I believe the KDX is the best general purpose trail/race bike available.

However, the KTM (Raceplank) is intense and is truly forcing me to a better, faster, more precise rider. It is unforgiving, sometimes frightening, furious, and demanding to ride. It refuses to go slow but when ridden hard and fast it is very much a joy.

You will go faster on the KTM--period. It will extend your envelope but you must ride harder constantly with much more precision to extract that performance. You will miss your KDX and its simplicity and capability for fun.

If you are overriding your KDX go for the KTM. However, if you are enjoyably fast and feel safe on your KDX then just enjoy and don't feel like you are missing out.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Comparing a KDX to a KTM is like comparing an XR to a CR. The KDX is a fun trail-riding bike. It's intended to be something to go out and play around on. The KTM is intended for racing. It's built for people who love to go FAST and who like stiffer suspension, more powerful motors, and more rigid frames. Now, you CAN make a KDX fast like a KTM, but it takes a lot of work. The KTM comes race ready with an MX-style seat. Some people like these because you can really move around on it and get way up on the tank in tight corners and way out over the back end in sand. As I said, it's built for racing.

That said, STOP ALL THIS BICKERING ABOUT WHETHER A KDX IS BETTER THAN A KTM OR NOT!! IT'S ALL A MATTER OF PREFERENCE!!!

Thanks to all of you who can see this obvious difference. It's great to be proud of your bike, but be sensible, people!

There are 2 reasons why I'm going to buy a KDX in the very near future instead of a KTM. The first reason is because I'm still learning. The XR200 just hasn't got enough for me anymore. The second reason is because I can't afford a KTM at this present moment. I could, but I'd have to wait much longer than I want to. IF I had the money and the skill, I would definitely go with the KTM, but for now, I'm going green.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
fender92883,

With all due respect, you don’t know crap about KDX’s. Really, to say, “Comparing a KDX to a KTM is like comparing an XR to a CR. The KDX is a fun trail-riding bike. It's intended to be something to go out and play around on” is just an uninformed perspective.

The KDX’s are about the best woods bike, period…no excuses. Now if your idea of woods riding is “playing around” you’d be very happy on your XR. However, if you like to blast through the woods, by all means, get a KDX.

Let us know what you think of it after you actually own one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom