bigdaddyadd

Apr 26, 2006
Hi guys, does anyone know what forks are compatable with my 91 kdx 250 as having real trouble with one leg and have abig outing to go on real soon. There is a guy reasonably close selling a kdx 125 for spares. Did these share any common parts or should I be looking for kx 250's
Cheers Bigdaddyadd

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
We never got the KDX125 here in the states, so I don't know about that one.

The KLX300 should have similar forks. While the KX250 may be similar on the outside, the internals are more sophisticated.

bigdaddyadd

Apr 26, 2006
So the kx would be an upgrade that would fit?
Because the ones fitted to the kdx look great but as soft sh~t. Not helped by my less than athletic frame.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '91 KDX 250 (USA spec). The fork springs were WAY too soft. Too compensate for the soft springs, Kawasaki uses too much high speed compression damping. So you get a bike that is too soft on whoops and jumps, but still too harsh on rocks and roots. Worst of all worlds.

You can make your stock forks much better with a revalve and stiffer springs. For mine, I used Race Tech gold valves. Race Tech sold me the parts and then it was a do-it-yourself operation. Or you can pay a pro to do a revalve.

I think most current KX forks are far superior, but you may need softer springs and they might also benefit from re-valve. Not sure what years are the easiest to drop in to you KDX, but I know it has been done before.

bigdaddyadd

Apr 26, 2006
Thanks for the tips I will try the valves and change the springs....once I can get the things to seal. I have put 2 new seals in and neither have worked. There is nothinig obviously wrong with them, but when the new seal is in place the inner leg slides in and out quite freely. I think a previous owner may have stripped them and neglected to replace a spacer or something its driving me mad I cant seem to find much info on the bike to help me. Had the 220R before this one and really wish I still had it!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Assuming your forks were put back together properly, it is possible there is a nick or burr on one of your fork sliders. If the same seal keeps leaking, check for that. You might be able to polish it out with emery cloth.

A professional rebuild and re-valve of your forks is going to get expensive, and then you would neet to add even more expense for new springs. It may better to put that money toward a newer bike. On the other hand, fixing or replacing the forks on your KDX will vastly improve it.

Below is a diagram of your fork from www.buykawasaki.com

Attachments

• KDX250 fork.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 191

bigdaddyadd

Apr 26, 2006
Excellent help thanks for that. I have tried for hours to get a hold of that drawing. Straight away I can see that someone has not put them back together right. May not help me fix um but at least I know why!
Cheers

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I personally would not spend a dime on the stock KDX250 forks. They have no rebound adjustment and that is only the beginning of the issues with those forks.

For trail riding they work. not great, just work. Pick up the pace any and you will outride them very quickly. The rear shock also has issues, but less than the forks.

Just spend the money, find some early 90-94 KX forks with trees and front wheel complete and you will be money ahead.

Top Bottom