the_NASTY

Jun 20, 2003
My 96 KDX 200 runs fine when I switch it to the reserve gas tank, but when the gas is just turned to ON, then the bike dies out when the RPM's get really high. One of my friends suggested that maybe the gas filter for my normal tank is dirty or clogged or something, but someone else also told me that maybe the carb needs to be rejetted. Someone please help me out here. Thank you.

Also, when I go the bike it used to drip gas from the tube on the bottom of the bike unless I turned the gas line off. Now I'm noticing that it doesn't do that anymore, with the gas ON or on reserve. Is it supposed to drip gas or not?

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
firstly, no it's not supposed to leak fuel from the overflow. That would indicate that either the needle & seat is worn, or more likely that the fuel float level is set too high allowing the fuel bowl to fill to the point that it, well, overflows.

Your other problem of appearing to run out of fuel at high RPM may indicate the opposite, that is that the float level is too low resulting in insufficient fuel in the bowl to supply the engine at high speeds.

Of course, your mate is correct, in that it is possible the fuel tap filter is clogged. I would imagine that the reserve tap filter would be in a similar condition as they are right next to each other. It only takes a few seconds to pull the whole assembly out of the tank for a look...

Cheer,
Andrew

the_NASTY

Jun 20, 2003
I checked the entire bike today, and I can't find a gas filter anywhere on it. Where is it located and how do I get to it?

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
on mine ('88 kdx), it's attached to the petcock (the gas on/off thingy)
So you'd disconnect the fuel line from the gas tank, pull the gas tank off (optional I guess) and unbolt the petcock from the bottom. As you pull it out of the tank, you'll see the filters.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom