kdx220 or kdx200 question again

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I know this topic has been beat to death but here it goes. I'm a current owner of a 98 kdx200 100% stock and quite pleased with it. My soon to be 15 year old nephew has outgrown his kx100 and has ridden my 200 a few of times and has fallen in love with the low end torque compared to his 100 ( I usually end up riding the kx100 now). I have a short mx track set up behind one of my storage sheds along the edge of the field with a couple of double's , a single, woops, and a banked turn (nothing big-time like you see on tv). Length of track about 400 ft. My nephew is getting more agressive in his riding style with age and experience. He is really into riding wheelies. I'm torn between the 200 and 220. Is the 220 worth the extra $400? Is it easier to get the front wheel up and easier to ride a wheelie? I've heard that they fall flat when you reach upper rpm's but just how bad and at what rpm compared to a 200. We really don't do any full throttle racing to speak of mainly just serious play and horsin' around but at the same time I, nor my nephew, want a bike that isn't going to go when you want to "open" it up going across open fields. I'm leaning towards a 220 since I already have a 200. I would like to hear your opinions on a 100% stock 220 for this type of riding. Thanks.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
In my humble opinion, a 220 doesn't have any business on a track unless it's modified. I have a 220, but I ride real tight technical rocky nasty type stuff. To make it rev, you need to put a rev pipe on it first off, and then you'll need to think about opening up the carb. Since you said you want to stay stock, and you made a track, I think you'd be better off with the 200. At least it comes with a bigger carb. The 220 has an O-ring chain, 20 extra cc's, 3 month shorter warranty, and a smaller carb for the extra $400. Maybe you oughta buy the 200, and some appropriate jets and fork springs with some of the savings.

Mike.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I agree with Mike. The 220 is way too mellow in stock form. Only good for slow tight stuff. If you want to stick with kdx, then you'll definitely need to put a rev pipe on the 220 along with good reeds and a carb mod. Then you can wheelie like crazy!!! Otherwise, consider a 250 mx bike. They really wheelie well!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom