jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Saturday I finally was able to get rid of the old XR200R and get myself a 2001 CR125. It wasn't brand new, but one owner. One problem, if you've followed my thread on this board you would have seen that it cut out on me that first day and hasn't ran since and right now it's in the shop getting a new top end. I only ran it for about 20 minutes with a proper mixture so we're thinking that the previous owner did something wrong, especially when the dealer told us to drain the fuel in the bike before riding it, which we did.

So long story short I'm going to be getting this bike back basically brand new, and I want to know exactly how to run it to make sure it doesn't give out like this again for at least a year or so. I don't race and ride mainly trails. I will have to break the bike in when I get it back too. Basically I want to know all the do's, dont's, always's, and never's with this thing, and I would really appreciate some insight.

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Run Belray gear save oil in your tranny and Motul 800 2T, maxima or hp2 for premix. I run my Cr125 at 24:1. During break in run it at about that and then go to 32:1 for regular riding.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I am using Maxima Super M for my mix. I was thinking of breaking it in at a little rich, better safe than sorry really. I have a quart of Honda GN4 motor oil which is recommended in the manual as a quality gear oil so for my first change I'm going to use that.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Keep top ends fresh. Clean your air filter very often. Change your oil often (I do mine every 1.5 hrs, but that's overcautious)

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Stephen your crazy! I change my tranny oil every 3 or so rides. Most of my rides last 4-6 hours. Even then my tranny oil comes out red like it went it. Wow kid your wasting alot more oil then I thought I did :eek:
Good luck Jaypro with your new ride!

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Thanks Brendon...I like to be "careful". I also do my top end every 15 hours. That's 4 AM today, 7 PM today, 10 AM tomorrow...

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I'm going to be careful with this thing but I want a bike I can ride. I didn't want this thing for show and say yeah I have a CR125, I want something that will rip dirt hard LOL, and run reliably as long as I do routine maintenence. I plan on a top end maybe once a year or so and keep up meticulously with the air filter and change the tranny oil once a month depending on how much I ride it.

When I get this thing back as long as I run it correctly and keep up with the little things, it should be a bear and I won't have to worry about her dying on me right?

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Originally posted by yzeater
Thanks Brendon...I like to be "careful". I also do my top end every 15 hours. That's 4 AM today, 7 PM today, 10 AM tomorrow...

Very amusing, I am sure some people actually do a top end rebuild every 15 or so hours but it is not necessary. I normally put a Wiesco Works piston in for 50 or so hours and then out it comes.
Jaypro,
Honda's are normally very reliable and they won't ever give you many problems. This is a motocross bike and for good measure a refresh on the bottom end every two years will keep your bike running very nice. BTW Stephen and I both have CR125's his is an 2000 model and mine is an 2001.
Stephen do we post too much eh? :p

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Sounds good. From what a lot of people tell me, unless you really need to race competively (which I won't be doing), these motocross bikes aren't much more work than a normal 4 stroke. They take a little more care and basic maintenence but you don't have to be breaking it down each weekend if you're just riding it for fun.

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Aside of the motor....If you don't know the history of the bike , the FIRST thing I would do is COMPLETELY strip the bike down and grease every bolt ,axle , linkage ,cable etc.... While the bike is apart you can check the condition of the seals and bearings. Thorough maintenance is the best way to keep your bike feeling new and will help with the resale down the road.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Well the bike is coming back to me tomorrow but I'm really sick right now so I don't know if I'll be on it. Anything I should know before I get it?

Top Bottom