procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
I am doing a top end and I just wanted to clarify something:

My KIPS valve is working fine (pulls smoothe and goes back to the original place without a hitch) Should I still disassemble and clean it? It was cleaned 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, and I was just a little afraid to jump into it since it seems a little confusing if I didn't have to.

BTW, just put a 99-02 KX250 fender on my '91 fits easy and looks SWEET

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
i'll go out on a limb. if the kips operates properly, you're halfway home. HOWEVER, if your'e not jetted right and you have gobs of spooge dripping out of the silencer and your packing is stuck to the baffles and your top end seems to be getting a little weaker----then clean 'em---and clean the airfilter too, as it can cause similar symptoms. As a matter of fast, last time I rode with gatorkdx it seemed the bike was not all there. I had attributed this to jetting as the temps had come up about 30 degrees. BUT, I decided to clean the airfilter after letting it go for three rides(thought I could get away with it because the terrain was damp and not visibly dusty). Guess what? The sucker tried to flip me off in third gear on a warmup run. Go figure!! Leaner is meaner---to a point!:thumb:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
If the top-end is already apart why not clean it?

I just did the top-end on my '92 in Nov. and due to my negligence of not scraping off all of the gasket material on the cylinder base...
I had to tear it back apart. :eek:

So I took the KIPS apart and checked and cleaned it all up!

BTW, another reason I took the KIPS apart.... Last time I was riding with 'Carvr, my bike all of the sudden started sounding like a 80 or 100cc bike! It was screaming! And then, suddenly, the sound went away, and did not return the rest of the day....

I did not get home that day til after dark, so I just put the bike away for another day, to clean it.

That day finally came, and when I got over to clean the right side of the motor I noticed a black spooge spray pattern, apparently coming from the KIPS shaft boot.

The KIPS shaft retainer screw had loosened and backed itself nearly all the way out! (yeah I used lock-tite)

Top Bottom