DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Kawi is missing out

Me too! The magazines were saying the same things about the KLX 5 years ago they've been saying about the YZF/WRF now. Updating their 4 stroke program seems opportune since they had such a head start with the KLX, and thumper popularity and sales are increasing thanks to Yamaha, KTM, Honda, and even Suzuki with the e-start DRZ. One can only assume it must be a matter of resources/priorities within Kawasaki's parent company (steel, heavy equipment, jet skis, street bikes, etc.). Too bad.

Ricky winning it all this year was a great opportunity to pull ahead in press and increased sales, yet Honda was able to buy him out from under Kawi, which makes you wonder about ALL of Kawi's MX and off road motorcycle plans. Which is crazy since off road motorcycle popularity has never been higher.

I talked to one of the techs at Stroker and he said they told Kawi about the idler gear and shift star long ago, yet the bikes continue to be made with the same weaknesses. And I think I read it here on DRN that the Team Green guys have a lot of respect for LR and his Stroker team, so if they'd listen to anyone it would be them. Then again, Stroker's making $160-$650 to improve every KLX sold, so it makes you wonder...

I mean the headpipe is a carryover from the KLX250, which is one reason it's smaller than the exhaust port. The idler gear is a disaster waiting to happen and Kawi could have easily made the change themselves or simply sourced it from Stroker. The shift star baffles me since they had it right on the KX -- which the KLX borrows much from -- and went backwards on the KLX. Simply adding a pumper carb like everyone else has now done would make a huge difference (though it would likely affect the KLX's green sticker certification in California).

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. All that said, those of us who have them know the bike's still a great value. Kawi is simply missing some great marketing opportunities. The only reason I'd sell mine is to buy a KTM RFS.

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
I just got a 97 klx300 and it wheelies whenever i want it to. I have a question though. Someone told me pumper carbs make the bike harder to start? Is this true? How does it wake up the bike besides acceleration. O yea back to the topic. Um...... The klx 300 is better then the 250. I'm guessing because ive never ridden the 250 but from what i here it 300 sounds better. Please answer my pumper carb question im thinking a bout getting one.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
RM80kid, I have one word for you: WRONG! I had initially thought the same thing on the idler gear but digging deeper explains it. Unfortunately PlanetKLX is being redone else you'd graphically see what happens with a stock idler gear. The reason is on Stroker's Web site under "common questions", but there are 2 problems with the stock idler which WILL cause it to fail. First, the tolerance in the bushing is too great, meaning it wobbles on the shaft. You are correct that this is stressed most when kickstarting the bike. However, it spins the ENTIRE time the engine is running. So it's just a matter of time. Second, the steel the stocker is made from is too brittle, so they tend to shave off teeth, and you can imagine the places they end up and the damage they do. Since you're going to have to replace it anyway, you may as well do it on your schedule and before major damage is done.

Re: the shift star, I've had my bike for ~5 months now (it was completely rebuilt, unfortunately using all stock components, before I got it) and have just started to notice it. Usually happens under load, upshifting from 1st to 2nd as I start to climb a hill or something. Those who've installed the kit (or ground their own to points ala the KX) say the improvement in shift feel alone is worth it, not to mention no more popping out of gear.

BTW, Stroker's "common questions" also does a great job explaining pumper carbs on 4 strokes. My experience, as well as those of KLX owners before me, says a Mikuni 33mm should have been on these bikes from the factory.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Re: Pumper carbs

RM80kid, by your description of your KLX's responsiveness and since you bought your KLX used I'd bet it already has a pumper carb on it. If the carb is a Keihn CVK then it is the stocker, otherwise it's been replaced (lucky you!). I had posted this in the thread "How to make a KLX better", but to have it in one place, this pumper carb impression was from a magazine article that I followed from PlanetKLX:

We only had to ride about forty feet before we were convinced that all the installation struggle was worth it. When we shifted into third gear the KLX did a phat wheelie, all of its own accord, and before the carb it took a conscious effort to pick the front wheel up. As a matter of fact, all the KLX wanted to do is wheelie, which made it now a ton of fun to ride. Where the stock bike is flat off the bottom--as the engine revs have to wait for the CV carb to develop its vacuum--the pumper carb squirts a shot of gas into the cylinder that makes it leap to life like Wile E. Coyote when he backs into the cattle prod. Instead of riding around with the throttle pinned, now the KLX can be ridden at quarter throttle in the tight woods, working off that burst of low-end grunt. Unbelievable! If you do nothing else to the KLX, this is the modification you need.

The bottom line is the slide raises on these carbs when you twist the throttle, shooting a shot of gas in so there is no hesitation (or "bog"). The stock one waits until engine vacuum indicates the engine is ready for it, giving better fuel economy and emissions. When I said it wakes it, up instant throttle response was what I meant, not more HP. There have been too many times I've wanted to get the front wheel over a log or something and the stock carb just wouldn't allow this (unless I dumped the clutch!).

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You had also asked if pumper carbs make the bike harder to start. Not in my experience with the Mikuni, as long as you remember to keep your hand off the throttle when kickstarting! Otherwise you'll squirt a shot of gas in there and it will essentially flood it. Larry Roesler recommends putting your throttle hand on top of your master cylinder so you never make that mistake. I have heard the Keihin FCR is a bear to start if you fall, which makes sense since it only has one pair of carb vents vs. upper and lower like the Mikuni.

Regardless of pumper carb or not, a hot start valve is a great thing to have on these bikes since they don't have a manual compression release. I got the Ty Davis/Terry Products one on mine and I can't say enough good things about it.

Top Bottom