viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Hi guys!Im new to the forum,and would like to hear your opinions:My son is keen to move up to 125.Hes 14 weighs around 130 lbs,and is used to keeping a YZ 85 on the pipe.Have the choice of either a 01 or 02 KTM 125.03 is out of my range financially.Is there a lot of difference between the 01 and 02?Is the KTM a good choice as the first 125?Will I need to change springs front and rear,or will the adjustment of "race-sag" be enough?Thanks!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Husky´s are out of the question!The local dealer sold 4 125´s last year,and 4 in 2001.No bikes showed up!He cant even get spares for the ones he sold in previous years!Not always easy to be a Moto-x dealer in Europe!You dont like the KTM´s?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'm not sure if there were any motor mods, but the suspension valving is more refined in '02. If the price difference isn't too great, you'd probably be better off with the '02. The KTM is supposed to have an awesome motor. It sounds like your son's ready to move up, just make sure he's not pointed at anything stationary the first time he rides it!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Nah,Im not too worried about him moving to the 125,hes not a "red mist"kind of guy.Hes more of a thinker,not always good for results,but he rarely gets off,which is good for me as a dad,I suppose!!We really race on a tight budget,hes not the fastest boy in this country,but we have lots of fun together,and lots of great trips around our country,to go racing!I will, however, spend the cash to buy new springs,if nessecary,IMO this is far more important for him than engine mods!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Viking20, sounds like you've got a cool kid, and a great relationship. My oldest son loves riding as well, which helps a lot in us doing things together. He rides well, I wish he stayed in the saddle a little more (but the falls have been harder on the bike than him).

The KTM is a solid bike, and will probably provide a lot of great riding for him!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
MW,lets hope he keeps breaking the bike,instead of his bones!Well you know what they say:You can make a fast guy stable,but....Anyway,this truly is a great hobby!My youngest son,who just turned 11,has unfortunately been diagnosed with epilepsy,and has to stop riding for at least 2 years.Of course this is hard on him,poor little fella.Hes not taking it as hard as I had expected,Im turning him into assisting team-chief/mechanic,and hes always with us.Luckily Im married to the European version of Worlds Most Wonderful Woman,shes crazy about this sport as well!How old is your son,and what is he riding?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm really happy with my 01 125sx. It's stock except for the suspension and the silencer, oh and the hydraulic clutch saver that bolt on in front to the front sprocket.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by viking20
So,do you think I have to mod the suspension for a 130 lbs rider?
Yes, I think the springs probably will be too stiff

Anssi

May 20, 2001
He will be borderline on the springs, although them being progressive probably will possibly help. The 02's are better in all ways imaginable, especially if 01->02 was the transition to the bigger fork tubes as on the bigger KTMs.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
viking20 - the simplest way is thru KTM, they are on the microfishe/owners manual. Your dealer might do you a deal if you get them at the same time.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Viking, I forgot, as mentioned previously, the '02 have 48mm forks.

My son is 17 and rides a YZ250F. I have a 14 year old son riding an XR200 and a 9 year old daughter that rides a Yzinger 80.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
MW,I could tell from your sig. you have some fine vehicles!My daughter used to ride as well.She just turned 12,at 7 she broke a leg,when she raced a PW 80,and havent raced since.Looked at a KTM 125 02 today,one of the local hot shots have had 2 of these,it was completely standard and hadnt been used much,as he preferred the other heavily modded bike.The price was too steep,though,so Ill keep looking!My son tried a Suzuki 2000 125,just for fun,it went OK,so no turning back now!!

Top Bottom