MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
If all goes well, this year I'm going to get an '05 EX/C to replace my '02 250 EX/C. I 've really liked my 250, it's the best bike I've had since I got back into them. Motor-wise it's been a really good bike, but the low-end grunt has been slightly lacking.

Due to many issues, I've lost 40 pounds since last fall, which of course will help immensely with this low-end issue! :)

I'd like viewpoints on the 250 vs. 300 power with the new engines introduced in '04. I've ridden a couple 300's in the past (both '99's) and liked the low end power, but thought the overall response of the motor was too abrupt, and thought it would wear me out after a few hours of riding or get me in more trouble in tighter Michgan woods. My abilities in the future to handle a lot of power is questionable, since I'm going through a couple surgeries that are frankly going to know the stuffing out of me.

I'd appreciate your comments.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I sure like my 250exc (04). Real smooth power, no hit. Can be ridden on the pipe very controlled. Can rev to the moon with lots of power up there too. FWIW, I came off a GG 250 and I am riding this bike (ktm) 50 to 75 percent further.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I haven't ridden the 250, I had an '01 200 EXC, it was a very nice bike. I like my '04 300 a lot better though. The power does not at all seem abrupt, lots of low end. I can't see how you could go wrong with either one.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
The 04 300 has the 03 SX based motor. As a result you can't really compare the 04 EXC to the pre 04 models. There are zero similarities.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
the '04 is an awesome machine, my last bike was an '02 400 MXC with a big bore kit in it, I really was nervouse about missing the power on the demand. After a couple of months on the 300 before everything became white I am sure I won't miss my RFS.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i really like my '04 250; i sold an '01 300 to get it, but have yet to ride an '04 300. the '04 250 is nite & day from the '02; you will be in for a pleasant surprise on your '05, whichever you get.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Larger bore bikes tend to have more bottom end which means they can be lugged and short-shifted. Keep them off of the pipe and they're harmless!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Hey mark would you like to trade off for a day? You my never go back to orange :laugh:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
70 marlin said:
Hey mark would you like to trade off for a day? You my never go back to orange :laugh:

Marlin, I'd like to try your bike, sure! But after riding 4 strokes for awhile, I'm going to stick with a two stroke at least one more time.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
It's a deal! Now a you need to do is get somebody to shine a lot more sun on those west side trails.

LogicTech

Feb 10, 2004
Mweissen

It would be a mistake to compare the new 300’s to the 1999 model. The 99 is a beast. The new 300’s have a small hole in the cylinder above the exhaust port that tames them down quite a bit. The new 300’s don’t even sound like the 99. They are much better bike.

LogicTech

muddobber

May 19, 2000
I agree with logic tech. The new 300 is one heck of a good bike. I have ridden both 04's, that new 300 is way better than
the old one's. I bought the 250 though, could not find a 300
right now. But keep an eye out for the new Enduro Enginering
pipe do out soon, said to improve bottom end on the 250. The
300 in my opinion is just fine stock.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I have seen photos of the pipe and silencer, it appears as though the pipe on Lafferty's bike at the first GNCC in Texas wasn't stainless, looks like a regular steel pipe. Is this pre-production? Will the final EE pipe be stainless? Does anyone know?

BTW, the new 300 is awesome!

muddobber

May 19, 2000
I don't think it will be stainless, that would be rather pricey. It will be black initially. Imagine that, now black pipes will be all the rage. Kinda looks cool to be retro.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Look on the Enduro Engineering site. They're already up for sale there. Interesting silencer system!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark - Swing up northeast and take my 300 for a spin. I love the bottom end! I cant comment on the newer versions, but the older ones respond well to dialing in the jetting (straight taper needle) and adjusting the power valve to smooth out the hit. From what I have read, the 04 is perfect jetting wise though. I think a really luggable motor can be easier and less tiring to ride...so what if you are two gears two high...just twist that thing on the right side!

Hey marlinberg - I just realized I never sent you any of those pics from our New Years eve day ride! (had great time by the way). PM me your snail mail or direct email address and I will send some to you.

Oh, i case you are looking for some of that 40 lbs you lost Mark, I think I found some of it.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
KTM Mike said:
Mark - Swing up northeast and take my 300 for a spin.

I'll take you up on that this spring/summer! Can't wait to get north, but I think I'll wait until the snow is gone!

I've decided I'm going with the 300 for '05. I really like my 250, but would like a little less shifting and a little more low end grunt. My '02 has to get me through this year, which it should do just fine. I've revalved the rear and resprung both ends for the new trimmer me, and can't wait to get on the trail!

Top Bottom