Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
2001 KTM 50.

1st Ride the top engine mount breaks and also lost spark, because not even 3 days old KTM dealer put a new coild on and a new mount bracket and we are pleased but next ride the same thing happens AFTER the DEALER had fixed it.

Now the bike is 32 days old and they will not repair it, the kid that rides it is only 5 years old and maybe if he wet weighs 40-45 lbs.

I feel that something is really wrong with this bike and I am not sure what to do about it. Has anyone else had this type of problem?

We have XRs PWs as well and theyu don't break every ride, come to think about it they don't BREAK.

How can a 2500.00 bike be such a piece of garbage?

Being the same problem that was fixed 3 days after purchase don't you think the dealer should follow up this? also we have found that THIS bike has the WRONG plastics and had brakets that were put on wrong as well.

when it runs. it runs good but the kid has only had 2 good rides, are KTMs junk or do you think we got a bad one?

Oh yea the dealer did NOT put the Air filter tube that goes under the seat to the Air box, instead they installed a filter that is just a sponge attached to a tube, again they say this is what they do.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did you buy it new or used? This may impact what the dealer is willing to do and KTM for that matter.

Engine mount breaking? I've heard it's pretty common but have not had it happen on ours. The coil? Yup we had that happen and had to wait several weeks for a replacement to arrive. No fun.

PW's and XR's don't brak for a reason. They are designed to be abused. Plain and simple they are heavy because they expect them to be dropped and not maintained. All this comes with a price which is weight. The KTM is designed as a race bike, even the Adventure version is just a detuned race bike.

A pod filter is something many folks change to, if the dealer did it on a brand new bike he should have discussed it with you. As far as the wrong plastic and brackets what exactly do you mean? The plastic has to positions it can be mounted in to adjust the seat height but as far as "brackets" I don't know that there are too many.

$2500 is a lot to spend on a bike that breaks as you described if it is NOT being hammered. I'd make replacement brackets, get the frame reinforced BEFORE it get's a crack and stay on top of every little nut and bolt. As a matter of fact that IS what I do and we have had zero problems. These things ARE maintenance pigs just like every other race mini out there, anybody that tries to convince you otherwise is not giving you all the facts. My son's next bike will most likely be a XR80 just for that fact, if he wants to race then we'll look at a SX65 or KX65.

spursotexas

Sep 16, 2001
KTM's are high maintanance but when they run, they run like a bat outa hell !!
My son has a 2000 pro jr. has had no problems other than jetting. If the problem is NOT rectified by the dealer (32 days or not) talk to the KTM regional manager/supervisor and the KTM dealers owner. You must follow with a letter to the dealer and KTM Reginald, stating if the problem is not fixed then the Better Business Bureau will receive the same letters. Sounds like the dealer sold you a LEMON and is only after your money.Don't stand idle, be proactive and you will see results. KTM is an excellent product and the managers know this so pursue with action. Hope this helps.....:)

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Brand spanking new

32 days ago! eeeeek

The Plastics never fit right from the first day I thing they put adventure plastics on it (but not sure). One thing I know for sure is that the exaust (from day 1) had been pushed up against the side plastics and started to melt through.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like the dealer sold ya' a bike that was previously damaged or pieces/parts. I'd lean on them to make it right since it was a "new" purchase. If you don't get satisfaction from them pretty soon then post their name and even web site if they have it in the flame forum. You would be suprised who reads DRN.:p

jalbert

Jul 20, 2001
junk

i bought my nephew a sx 50 lc and its been problems from day one. someone said their "race bikes" !? well you have to finish the race to win the race!:silly:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cobra & Polini have heavy maintenance issues as well. HRM or is it HMR (sp?) Don't see too many of them around and they ARE Honda! Guess they want to get all the bugs worked out before bringing it to a major market which isn't such a bad idea. The bottom line is dealers that sell the competition models to people who either are not going to race them and/or are not familiar with the level of service these bikes require reguardless of how they are run are hurting KTM and ultimatly their bottom line down the road. I imagine it's pretty difficult to bring uprated bikes of this size to market and not have teething pains. How many companies actually have 6 to 8 year olds on staff for test riders? Most kids are better served by one of the other more solid bikes available but because they don't have the "cool" factor of one of these little rocketships they usually get passed up, at least the first time around.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
The dealer said

" there is no such thing of a bad ktm"

I could understand a faulty coil but not once a weekend. the kid will catch maybe 1/2 foot of air and maybe 2-3 foot distance, and that should not break engine mount brackets.

I feel that this one is just a lemon because I have seen other KTMs that do not have these problems.

Just think I was going to put all 3 kids on KTMs.

The way it is now the dealer will not anything, I guess I could turn this into a flame but I do not think that will do any good, instead I am going to be ANTI-KTM.

Oh mention the air filter tube to the dealer and now we are just looking for things to complain about. They also say that it comes in the box with the pod filter and NOT the unit under the seat.

P.S. For sale 2001 KTM pro JR. Piece of garbage! 3 rides 2 break downs. optimistic here at least we got 1 good day out of 2500.00

I feel worse for the kid because he likes the bike it fits him perfect its light and nimble and sporty looking.

Patman you had me thinking that KTM had good customer service and I told myself if they honored the lemon and fixed the problem'S I would get the other 2 boys a KTM to.

High maintance is NOT the problem here if i have to change the oil once a week and tighten spokes ect. so be it, I do that to every bike I have anyway.

Dirt week 02 is in my plans could you imagin what a let down it would be to have brought this brand spanking new ktm to DW02 and ride for about 1-1/2.

P.S. here is peanuut that broke KTMs so called race bike.
http://www.msnusers.com/MotoXworld/kidscorner.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=231

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You REALLY should take this above the dealers head REALLY! The lack of support they are providing for you is beyond bad and I'm sure folks higher up the pumpkin food chain would like to be made aware of it formally. Don't let your perception of KTM's customer service be what a sorry excuse for a dealer is showing you. Most dealers are pretty good but like everything there are those that just want to make a buck and could care less what color the plastic is as long as the money is green. Turn this loser in.

My DW'01 plans actually had a VERY similar snag. Fortunatly I had brought two bikes but I never would have planned on having a crank seal go out the first hour :( These things do happen though so I made the best of it and had a good time dispite the setback.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Patman

Your consern is great, but we just want the kid to ride. I am going to buy a new bike today or tomorrow to replace the KTM.

My main goal is not a johnny go faster, We like to group up and go out on Trail Missions and enjoy.

I was even going to purchase the parts because it means that much to our group however 6 weeks is a big gap of our short life to wait on parts for a brand new bike with onl 3 rides on it., 2 of them were not even 1/2 a ride because the day had to end early. If I though there was a shot that this is just a lemon and we could ge it replaced with one that is not a lemon I would do it but seeing a lot of other upset Dads shows me that KTMs Minis are just high priced garbage.

you will laugh at what the dealer wants to give us on a used bike trade in. 33 days old.

Any other dads reading this, please advise me on what bike you think is the best for the little peanut that just wants to ride.He is a tad too big for the XR50 or the PW50.
If there is any Advice you can give me on this that will not keep the kid down for 6 weeks please do.

Patman quote:
You REALLY should take this above the dealers head REALLY! The lack of support they are providing for you is beyond bad and I'm sure folks higher up the pumpkin food chain would like to be made aware of it formally.

If I do this instead of counting my loss, I feel that I may just get another hole in the head and not go anywhere.

I am so glad KTM don't make boats

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
As an alternate maybe a XR70? Bigger than the 50 but just as tough. My nephew rode one from about 7 or 8 until he was 12! (yes it was getting a bit small by then). The PW80 is pretty bombproof too and about the same seat height as the KTM.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
FWIW- The 2001 KTM pro JR. at my local dealer also has the clamp-on (pod) filter. I think the underseat filter is too small for the little beast.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
here is the update

Its was the last straw, so I brought the bike to dealer knowing the owner was in, again explained everything but this time he was able to put a face with the bike ( I guess I am not just another customer to him) and said that had he of known that it was me he would have believed the problem from the get go.( I guess some parents just have second thoughts and try to blame it on the bike) so the mechanic in the back, again sees the bike and cannot believe that this problem happened again after he had fixed it. While talking to the owner more about what bike to get we come to the conclusion that the xr70 is to big and heavy and the PW80 is just a big log with an engine, I am not happy because the KTM just seemed right but I will not take another ktm.

He tells me that he will replace this KTM with the exact KTM that we had but he could tell that I was not happy with KTM because of all the problems we had with this bike, and all the reports in my hand of all the fathers that had problems with this bike.

The Best Part
so he offered a swap for a 01 Polini and said that we can take it out for 1 weekend before I have to decide and that's way beyond fair, he then says that he values our business and apologized for the inconvenience and said that if all customers were like me then there would never would have been question about it, But because of the crap he has to deal with he must always be in defense mode

Hey thanks Patman

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:)

Glad it's all getting worked out. :D

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Last note

I hope that KTM will address a few of these issues because I am not one to fall out of bed and sleep on the floor, as my younger boy grows out of his XR50 I may again look at the KTM line because they are in the right direction with these bikes, and I feel if they get the quirks out of these bikes no one can touch them.

Top Bottom