drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Test rode a Katosh 200 EXC here in UK and the dealer had a new one sat waiting in the shop.I went cold turkey for 24 hours to think about it and cool off and it got sold !!!
No more new KTM's in the UK till November 2001, when the 2002 models start arriving.
Dealer had a 250 but warned me that the new 2002 model will be a lot better and basically a new engine.
KTM UK had extra bikes over their usual quota to meet demand for Orange this year but we've still run short.
Shop bloke says he could sell everyone he can get hold of. Not good for me !
You don't seem to have the same problems in the States ?
Have KTM concentrated too much on the States for the 'BIG PUSH' ?
I think we should be told !!!

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Still ringing round dealers but most have sold out of KTM's (200's gone,400's non-existant) a long time ago. I have a sneaking suspicion that KTM have decided to target the US this year and most of their limited production has come your way. Our local Husaberg dealer will supply anything you want and Yamaha are having to discount because their kick start only bikes are losing out in our 'electric start is everything' market.
The WR250Z has been dropped from our market despite being regarded as the best Enduro stroker ever. Figure that one out !!!!
The UK has definitely become KTM City!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
DZR MICK the reason is as you stated the UK market is very small and they dont bring in many bikes here.I was told in the whole of the Uk in 2000 they only had 80 KTM 125sx's brought in.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
The figure for SX's is believable. I think in the UK the Enduro/Trail market is bigger so maybe more EXC's hit these shores during 2000. I do know that everyone and his dog is now riding one though!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How far's Austria from ya, mick?

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Not far. 4 hour ferry to continent and 4 hours driving,maybe.
Better news from a dealer today though. In 4 weeks he will have been to the KTM Dealer Conference briefing on 2002 models and during August the 2002 models will start to filter into UK. Thats perked me up a bit so I think I'll wait for the new models to come through. A trip to Austria,currency conversion etc. doesn't seem so attractive !

Top Bottom