GREENBUNCH

Nov 13, 2001
Looking for a way to decrease the clutch pull on my 01 200 MXC. I have tried the enduro engineering lever, and I also have the SS line with ATF fluid. Any sugestions or do I have to settle for the current setup ? The Gas Gas 250 EXC clutch is way easier than my Ktoom.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Try 2.5wt fork oil it helps a bit.Also you could try the 125 springs as they are alot softer-you may wear the alloy plates out quicker but you cant have you cake and eat it.;)

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Replace the springs with 1999 CR125 Honda springs. While you are in there also replace the aluminum clutch plates with the above Honda steel plates.

I've used this setup for 2 1/2 years with no problems.

cornwalker

Apr 30, 2002
Call you local KTM dealer and get the master cyclinder off of the 400EXC or the 520 directly from Magura USA. If you look at yours it will read 10.5 on the bottom near the hose inlet. You want one with the 9.5 on it. I complained and complained about my clutch pull. I even called Alan Randt and he said live with it. I said no way because I had an old rusty YZ490 out back with ligher clutch pull. I called Magura directly and got this information. They actually have a distributor in Illinois and the cost was significantly less than ordering a new one from KTM. Use mineral oil and your Enduro Engineering lever and you will be shocked at the difference in pull. The oil flow is a little less and shifting into first you may notice it but I'm a AA rider and have used this set up all season will zero problems.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Layton,
I'm thinking of switching to your set-up and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. Do all the parts fit perfectly or do you have to make any mods? Are the Honda prices better than steel plates and springs for a ktm 125?

GREENBUNCH

Nov 13, 2001
The latest issue of Dirt Bike has a Honda of Troy add with the 99 CR125 clutch kit (steel plates, fiber plates and springs) for 99 bucks. Sounds like its worth a try.
Lou Green New Jersey
2001 KTM 212 MXC
2002 Honda CR-250 For Sale !!!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
You can get the 9.5mm master from parts unlimited, it is a replacement unit for the hydraulic conversion kits that magura sells.
I run this master with the EE steel line, 5wt bel-ray fork oil, and the moose steel plates. It has given Denise a Softer pull and more linear engagement then the stock set-up.
The steel plate kit is under 50$ and the master is around 85$.
Best part is that I didn't have to go to the DEALER.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
My mechanic always uses DOT5 brake fluid in the clutches. You just need to make sure that the system is completely flushed of the mineral oils first. The brake fluid makes a huge difference.

Dan

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Do you just flush it through a few times with the brake fluid to get the old mineral oil out? I use a EE easy pull lever, but I still think it's a bit stiff.

Larry

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
I don't know if you are thinking about putting brake fluid in a Magura system, but be aware that the manufacturer strongly advises against it.

Besides, the DOT 5 brake fluid is silicon based, and that can cause some compatibiliy issues. Don't use DOT 5 type brake fluid if it isn't specified to use it, and don't mix it with any other type of fluid.

For the best performance, use DOT 5.1 brake fluid. It is glycol based and is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids. It has a dry boiling point almost as high as competition brake fluid but is much less hygroscopic.

david

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I don't see how fluid could make much difference in clutch pull. All fluid is incompressable and I doubt clutch fluid has much problem with overheating. I don't mean to contradict anybody, I'm just curious.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Its the viscosity of the fluid that makes the difference, .....as stated by Marcusgunby,....2.5 fork oil w/a steel braided line is about the best you can get it, (with out changing components).

prcucuma

Jun 9, 2002
Never use brake fluid in your magura clutch unit! It will definitely destroy the sealings!!! You can use any mineral oil or fork oil you can get but never brake fluid...I hope this will save you some bucks one new sealings :confused:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Thanks for the warning on the brake fluid, and I didn't mean to stear anyone in the wrong direction, but I have used brake fluid in my 97 KTM 200EXC-LE for the past 5 years with no problems at all. I will continue to use the brake fluid since it seems to be working so far, but I will not recommend it to anyone else in the future.

Dan

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Dot 5.1 is the only brake fluid that will not be caustic to seals ect.
Fork oil is high quality, more readily available, and in euro, considered mineral oil.
I'm sure ATF would work fine,....but what is the viscocity?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom