snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi all,

I am going to buy myself a new bike in the near future, either a WR 426 or a EXC 520.

After having tested both, I found the EXC the more nimble one.

Since I want a trouble free bike I wonder if the EXC is a good chose. I have heard rumors that the camshaft bearings are shattering on a regular basis, and the water pump has a chronic problem. and more.

I would really like to hear your comments regarding the reliability of your RFS, and if someone has also had a WR, how they compare.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
2 2000 520 EXCs have had the following problems:
mine:
-2 miles new and bike died: traced to faulty connection in coil (very expensive diagnosis and fix!) Freak problem.
-blown radiator hoses. you are supposed to replace the clamps but shouldn't the factory have done this in the beginning. fixed on 2002s.
-burned out/slipping clutch. easy fix except had to cut frame/foot peg rail and reweld to get clutch cover off. this frame are is apparently only a problem with the earliest 2000 RFSs.
-split the rear rim. numerous broken spokes on rear wheel. from what i've seen a common problem on ktms.
-lost exhaust spring.
-electric starter stopped working. short in the wiring system.
-battery will not charge when headlight is on.

my buddy's:
-broken rear shock collar.
-blown/disintegrated rear hub.
-leaking countershaft seal.
-oil in coolant. a one time thing that the cause was never discovered.

my buddy's bike was bought used and his problems may have resulted from a certain lack of maintenance. but my bike is maintained religiously. yes they are great bikes but they do break. i think that most major issues have been addressed by now on the latest models by the factory. they require a lot of maintenance but its worth it because they're amazing bikes to ride.

your profile says you are from iceland. i was there briefly for business this summer. i went out to the area where the continental plates divide and while i was there saw some guys loading bikes up after a ride. its a place i would love to ride one day. the terrain looks amazing.

for some positive feedback check this link: http://www.holeshotforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000529.html

snullia

Oct 26, 2001

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
2001 KTM 400 SX

6 Motocrosses, 1 Harescrambles, 2 Enduros and I ride twice a week from March until the end of October.

Problems: Broke one spoke on the rear wheel and lost one exhaust spring. Love the bike so much I have a 2002 on the way and sold the 2001 to my best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to listen to more than two people to get a idea about how durable these bikes are........

520exc

May 8, 2000
I have a 2000 520exc. Bought it new. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I don't race it, but it does get ridden ALOT (almost daily throughout the summer, weekends in spring and fall). Not many other RFSs in NW Montana, but at least mine's been fantastic.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thank you for your input, Coach

I am glad you have had better luck with your bike. I would not expect a racebike like the RFS to be as durable as my trusty XR4, but I still do not want to spend a huge amount of time on maintenance.

:)

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
520exc, you just made my day.

I also do not race but ride a lot. 13000 km in 2 years on my XR4, and no problems. I thought durability like this was not realistic for the RFS, but maybe I was wrong.

Do you know how many km. you have on your bike?

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
I chose my bikes for reliability first, then performance, and everything else after that. My three primary bikes over the past years:

- 1983 XR500
- 2000 DRZ400e
- 2001 520 EXC

Few other bikes in there (Honda and Yamaha) over the years, but the three with real longevity and capability are those above. The KTM has proven to be more reliable than the XR, but I have to admit that I have been much more on top of the oil and filter work with the KTM ('cause everyone said to!). That said, there is no way on God's green earth I would go Honda or Yamaha based on the reliability vs. KTM. Add in the magic button and KTM performance, and it's a no brainer in my opinion (as long as you can swing the slightly higher price; difference is not that much since there is little to add on to the KTM from the aftermarket... just not needed).

Final word, if you're worried about reliability, be very careful on the Husabergs. Understand they are popular in your neck of the globe, but I have heard nothing but difficulties and lots of wrench time.

Hope this helps.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks kudzukudzu

More reliable than the Honda? Amazing.

Reg. Husaberg, I would not consider one. Waaaay to many horror storys.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
snullia,

i would still recommend the ktm. it is an amazing bike. i had an xr 440 before it and compared to this there is a LOT more maintenance. you HAVE to go over the ktm with a wrench after every ride and you must stay on top of everything. it is worth it though. being in iceland though i would imagine reliability is a major issue. if you like hondas you might want to take a look at getting a honda crf450 and setting it up for trail work.

i actually work in the music business and was there to see a band called gugus who i work with. i'll check out your pictures. one day i definitely would like to ride there.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
creator8

hope you make gusgus #1 in the world.

I have looked into the new cr450f. I am sure it is a great bike, but the close-ratio motocross gearbox is probably not so good for trail/playride use. If Honda will make a off-road version, now that would be interesting.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Snullia, read the 520KTM thread. Also quite a few other threads along this same line. The bikes are very dependable!!! Sure there a a few snafus here and there, but I think you will find overall that the bikes have earned very high marks for there reliabilty.

Top Bottom