rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Vinny,
You may want too go browse the "Wardy riding technique" forum.. My best advice besides the protective gear, is too keep the finger (or fingers) on the clutch and if you get outta shape on the bike, the brakes will stop you.. Have fun and enjoy your 250,
Rick
Ps.. About fouling plugs, if your bike is jetted correctly, it shouldn't foul plugs, i've had the same plug for over a year and i ride about 3 weekends a month..

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
This is the powervalve adjustment on my bike. It's on the left side. You can see one of the radiators above my hand. It shows the knob and the 2 bolts that hold it in place.

I've never fouled a plug, and I ride some pretty tight stuff, Go long periods of time without hitting the powerband, but I do hold in the clutch from time to time and rev it up until it revs up high cleanly, so I guess my bike does load up.

I don't know about starting in second, it takes more clutch finessse to do that and will ultimately result in a faster takeoff, just my 2 cents, but it might work for you.

Gee, now that I took a pic of my adjustment I'm wondering where it's really set at. I'm going to have to check it out before I ride again.

I do agree that these bikes have tons of power and can get away quickly on you. I think about it almost every time I ride, but you can take it easy on it.

The idea of practicing on a more mellow machine is a good idea, just until you get the hang of it. Is it possible for you to do?

Chief

Attachments

• my pictures.jpg
    my pictures.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 252

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
No I don't know anyone who rides dirt bikes.

After reading through all this feedback I have thought about cutting my losses and selling the bike to get a more tame bike. However I really like this bike and eventually want to get into motorcross. I guess what I will end up doing is taking the bike out a few times and if it just can't handle it sell it off.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Thats a good plan. IF your like some people, your just born to it and will take to it in just one or two rides. If you like me, it'll take a while, but you'll get on the learning curve and get going, learning new things slowly, and getting better and faster. If you find yourself thinking "Wow, this thing is REALLY scary," your not going to stay in riding. So I think you best off with the plan of trying it a few time, and then making a decision. I hope it works out for you, GOOD LUCK!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Try and be patient with it. If you can't handle it right away, you will master it eventually. It took me at least six months to get really comfortable on my 2000 CR. Knee/elbow pads quickly became required equipment for me.

Now, I can't see riding a tamer bike, especially in motocross. I had done some trail riding on "tamer bikes" before getting the CR but now I am very much into the MX riding after having it for a year and three months and even like it better on the trails and in the woods. I did go through several rear fenders to get to this point though.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Be patient with it. When I got back into riding I got into riding on a 1993 YZ/WR250 2-stroke. I rode it in 1st and 2nd gear for almost 6 months and it took a long time before I got used to it enough to come close to being considered riding the thing.

Unless you have the money to spare by getting rid of it and getting something else then keep it and just be patient and use some common sense. Make sure you have riding gear and have fun.

Ivan

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
While staring blankly at the wall in my Calc 3 class I think I came up with a solution. Ever since I got my dirt bike my brothers have started to become interested in dirt biking themselves. I was woundering if I could buy a second bike to learn on that would also prove to be a very capable bike for them when I am done with it. My brothers are Stephen (Age 17, 5'8", 140 lbs), Andy (Age 15, 5'7", 120lbs), and myself (Age 21, 5'11", 165lbs). Are there any bikes that would fit all three of us. I don't mind if the bike is underpowered for me just something that I can learn on and transition me to the 250. How about a 100 or 125 2-stroke, or 200-250 4-stroke?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
250s aren't death machines

Stupidity is.

You are not stupid to ride the 250. You would be stupid to try and ride it like RC when you do not have the years of experience and training. Ride it carefully and work up your skill.

You will fall. You will have some scrapes. That is the case no matter what bike you buy.

Unless you can afford to get a line of bikes just work with what you have.

Ivan

-Tiny-

Apr 2, 2003
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
IMO you are worrying to much about all the :scream: THAT BIKES GONNA KILL YOU :scream: posts in here. Ride it and have fun. 250s aren't death machines

Haha. I know, I can't stand how people throw around the "it will kill you" phrase. I'm here to ride because I was told dirt is the best place to start. It's safe(safer than learning on the street), and will teach you the basics needed for street riding. Now I come here and people still say you'll die on a 250.(?) What next? ..Start on a GT Mach One? ..Then what, a tricycle? :)

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
To give you a little perspective once you do get the hang of it XRs and the like will seem very boring. There is nothing like a good 250 motocrosser.

As for 250s killing you I'll give you a little example. I have been riding for quite a few years. I started on a KDX80, moved up to a YZ125 and now I'm on a RM250. I have also ridden street.

My RM is still very new to me. I'm working on getting better at jumping and while practicing last weekend I kept going over the jump too slow and not getting on the powerband enough. So I GET ON IT in 2nd gear and launch myself 5-6 feet in the air, now when I say 5-6 feet I mean the bottoms of my tires were 5 to 6 feet in the air. It caught me TOTALLY off guard and I came off the pegs and landed. I ALMOST :laugh: saved it but ended up crashing and crushing my left radiator. I didn't get hurt but my point is a 250 can get you in places you didn't expect very quickly.

Ride safe.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Yea, if you don't go nuts, find a nice open spot to practice, and use a little common sense, I think you should be ok.

My philosophy is if you ride offroad, you are going to have mishaps. I can't remember the last time I rode without wiping out at least once. I like to ride as hard and fast as I can, at least for some of the ride, and haven't had any serious injuries (yet) knock on wood. The only time I feel a real danger is being topped out, hitting some whoops and getting pointed in the wrong direction, although I've had a few close calls when I never expected them.

When I got back into offroad about 2 years ago, I think my biggest fear was falling and making mistakes, then I realized that everyone else does and it doesn't necessarily mean you are gonna be a cripple. Just take it easy,especially in the beginning.

If you are fortunate enough to buy a second bike that will get used, do it. I think in my case even if I could afford a second bike, upkeep would bury me. I'd like to ride, not just work on bikes.

Although I like the 125 mx 2 stroke a lot, I find smaller bikes such as the dr, xr, too slow and cumbersome. Yea, to me they are boring to ride whereas my bike is more of a challenge. You already have the bike so go out and try it!!!

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
Dude, don't be scared about the 250! I'm 16 150 lbs and when I was looking for bikes, one of the first ones I test rode was a 99 KX 250. I had only ridden a couple of times before. Sure it had a lot of power so I took things slowly and didn't do anything stupid (like twist the throttle all the way back). Just remember if you don't pull the throttle back you aint goin anywhere. YOU have control over the bike, just don't do anything that will take that control away. Good luck!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I started riding last year on a old CR 250 (1982) the first two times out went real slow didn't ride on the track just an open area, then moved up to the track. Rode a total of 10 times, last year and have now moved up to a 2002 RM 250 for this year. I have been out twice on it with no problems, it is way easier to ride, it is alittle faster, but the suspension and breaks make it easier to ride and jump.

My situation was similer two yours, first real bike a 250 motorcrosser and I was also a mountain biker. After you feal the power you won't settle for anything smaller.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Hey guys just wanted to take this time and say thanks for all the feedback you guys have given me.

I am going to stay with the 250 and take it slow. Like I said I won't have my first outting untill mid may but I will keep you guys posted on how things turn out.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Well it is at my parents home in Houston and about every two weeks I go into houston to visit my parents. For the last month I have been starting the bike everytime I go back and letting it run for about 5-10 minutes reving it pretty hard to blow every thing out.

But Yea I havn't ridden it yet. It is killing me also but I just don't have time untill my semester is over with. My semester ends May the 8th and sould be ridding the weekend after that. Don't worry I will let you guys know what happens.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
I had another question for you guys. For the last week I have been in the process of getting my riding gear together and whated to know if I needed a back protector? I am buying a used Thor chest protector but was wondering if I needed a seperate back protector? I seems like many of the road racers use them but what about for offroad? I have been looking at Teknic back protectors and wanted to know if anyone uses a back protector or a combination of both back protector and chest protector? Does the chest protector do the same job as a full back protector?

derekk87

May 29, 2002
The first 2-stroke i ever rode was a 97 RM250, just dont try to be all cool and show off and stuff. Youll just look like a total moron. Have fun man.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
VInny,
It's a good idea too get all the protection you can.. A while back i bought a neck roll, Procyclesafety.com I thought at 1st it would be un-comfortable, but i was wrong!! But anyways, back too the subject, if you feel comfortable wearing the back protector, then get it, better too be safe than sorry..
Rick

Top Bottom