Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Most definately get all the protection you can afford. AND WEAR IT!! I've had a couple of occassions when I won't wear a certain piece of equipment because it's too hot out...and guess what I end up hurting?? :) Like others have mentioned, you will do fine on the 250 if you're smart about it. It's best to ride with someone else who is patient and will go at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. Some of my worst crashes happened when I was learning to ride, and I rode with a guy who raced Harescrambles and placed 1st all the time in the 40+ A class. He never slowed down, and I was always trying to go faster than I should have been. If you end up around faster riders just be sure and concentrate on riding within your "comfort level".

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Another big point is to keep three fingers on the clutch lever at all times. Hold on the grip with your index and thumb. You probably need to adjust the lever so when you pull it in your index is not in the way. This is so when you do give it a handful of throttle and the bike is running away uncontrolled and you are on for the ride saying "Oh Sh" your automatic response is to grip your hands as tight as possible. Thus your three fingers will be pulling in the clutch, which stops this hair raising ride.

JOMU32

Apr 15, 2003
if the overall say is that its not such a great idea then what bike would you recomend for someone who has never ridden a dirt bike befor, as in my case i owned a quad but im switching to dirtbike im 5'7, 145, 15 years old, and someone recomended the kdx 220 is this a good idea?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I have a '03 KDX 220. Very tame stock. Easy to ride. Can be easily hopped up to go real fast. It's a great all around bike for learning or racing.

As for learning on a KX250, no problem. Just be careful. If it's too snappy, put on a flywheel weight. It doesn't reduce the power, but makes it come on more gradually and is easier to control. I put one on my '01 KX500. It made a huge difference in managability. It made it much more friendly and helps keep my wheel spin under control. But if I want to go fast, OH BOY will it go!!!! Have fun on that KX250!!! Just respect it and be careful!!!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I haven't seen any around here besides the one my bud bought, so they are not very popular, and the kdx is an excellent bike. With that said I have to say I am very impressed with the ATK 125 he bought last fall. It is a true woodsbike. I weigh about 200 lbs and it carries me no problem. He weighs about 185. It's a 2 stroke with a 3 gal tank, the tank and rad shrouds are 1 piece. Handles built in to the side plates, renthal or tag bars, heavy spokes, talon hubs, counterbalanced motor, kickstand, reserve. optional lightkit. It's streetable if you put dot tires on it. Wide ratio 6 speed. All stock items. The only place I get him is on takeoff and big hills. In the woods it has my mx beat by a mile.Also a Rotax engine. They also make a 250. American made with a pricetag that matches or beats the jap mxers. If I had to do it again I would have gone with this bike. Maybe the 250 though.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Hey thanks tedkxkdx that is a great idea about using the three fingers and adjusting the clutch so that I automaticly pull it in when i get out of control.

Dang Tom Lundolff where do you ride you KX500? That is alot of bike. When I was first looking for dirt bikes someone offered me a great deal on a 98' KX 500. I was actually considering it utill I was told just how powerfull that bike is. I think learning on a 250 is going to be a challange but could you imagine a 500!!!!!

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Vinny, The KX500 is not as scary as most make it out to be. Although, I would never consider any modifications to increase the power!!! They are tuned similar to a KDX, with no "hit" at any rpm. The top end power seems to be about equal to a KX250. The big difference is in the low end. It never ends!!! The midrange power is pretty breathtaking too!!! The power is very smooth and linear throughout the rpm range. This is why, with a flywheel weight, it actually makes a great woods bike!!! It feels more like a KDX 500 would, if they made one!!! If it was tuned for high rpm power like a 250 mx'er, it would be uncontrollable. That's why they tune them more for low end. I love the massive power and figure the top end should last a long time since you never really have to rev it up much. It's a very light bike too. Only 220 lbs. I don't know why more people don't ride them!!??

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
tighten up, you will be ok, isnt like you bougt a 750 dirtbike. Just ride, and use common sense. you are best off with the 250, it will keep you going...
never a moment of worry about power or loss of the ego....ride on.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Sorry, I just finished my finals and moving out of my apartment and will finally have time this weekend to go riding. Sorry for keeping you guys in such suspense. I will post info about my first ride probably on Sunday. Wish me luck!

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Going out with a partner right? I hope so, riding alone can be dangerous. I just had an eyeopener about 40 minutes ago, trust me, ride with somebody!!! Good luck, and have fun.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Let your clutch out slow with just enough enough throttle to get the bike moving, and go in straight lines to get a feel for the power taking turns slow untill you get used to it.
I grew up riding 4-strokes, and remember learning the clutch, the wrong combination of throttle and clutch will flip you over backwards, especially on a 2-s if your not ready for what it can do. After a long period of not riding I got my first 2-s, a cr250, and I am thankfull I understood how to work the clutch. A 2-s is a beast like no other that I have riden (although I have not had the opportunity to ride the newer 4-s mx'rs) but there is some good advice here, just hop on the way it is, take it slow, and keep yourself forward toward the gas tank....if you can!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
howd ya get on man? hope it didnt completly turn ya off!!!!!!
didya fall? cause i know on my 1st bike a gasgas 250 trials i certainly did!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
It's a 700cc. Off-Road.com has an article on it. Click Here

Obviously for serious desert action or for the man who needs to compensate. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I guess if a fella had one of them he'd need a CR500AF pit bike. :think:

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Here is how it went. I decided to ride at this off-road park about an hour from my house. When we got there I was surprised to hear that to get to the open field, you had to first go through about a miles worth of trails that had deep ruts do to them allowing ATVs on the trails. At this point I was really considering leaving and finding another place to ride. The next thing I know my dad hops on my bike starts it up and TAKES OFF!!! Wearing no helmet, no boots, no gear he goes right into the woods. The last time he rode a bike was in 1978 and it was a 2-stroke 175. He comes back about 6 minutes later and says “I’ve been wanting to do that for 25 years.” I then thought if my old man can handle this bike I sure as hell can. So I got on the bike (I was smart enough to wear all my gear) put it into first and took off. I got moving in 1st then immediately went to 2nd and was doing great. I rode up and down the gravel road leading to the trail entrances a couple of times and then hit the trails. I did the loop that went around the entire track and completed it with-out falling off. I then spent the next few hours riding thought most of the trails. I couldn’t believe it that I was riding and doing as well as I did on my first time out. I just did exactly what you guys said: easy on the throttle, fingers on the clutch, and nuts on the gas cap. I was feeling really comfortable toward the end of the ride and then my dad starting pushing me to try a jump! My dad pointed to this one little jump and said to try and get some air. At this point I was feeling very worried about pushing my luck. I gave in and tried it a few times. Each time I would go up to the jump get scared and back off the throttle just rolling over the jump. I then lined up for the jump again and decided this is it. I get going and hit the jump and get about a foot off the ground. While I’m in the air I loose my footing and both of my feet slip of the pegs and I start to loose control. To make matters worse in my attempt to brace my-self I grab on tightly to the handle bars and grab a-lot of throttle. I bobbled for a little and somehow pulled in the clutch avoiding a crash. At this point my heart was racing! My dad came over to me and congratulated me on actually taking the jump. He then said “get back on the bike and do it again.” I got back on and while going into the turn right before the jump I lost control and crashed. Luckily I just laid the bike down and slid to a stop so I didn’t damage me or the bike. So that is how I did my first time out. That experience was probably the most fun that I have had in a long time. I would say that I am hooked on dirt biking. In regards to the bike I loved it. Yes there was a pretty strong hit like you guys said but I always knew when it was coming due to the change in exhaust sound. I absolutely loved the suspension, it was perfect. So here is the summary of what happened.

Number of times I …..

Stalled Out Many
Looped Out None
Crashed 1
Got Air 1

Thanks guys for all of your advice it greatly helped me out.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
rock on dude!:yeehaw:

you need to grip the bike inbetween your legs to help hold on. also, dont shut the throttle on the face of the jump, a good way for a face plant

get a book by gary scemics all the riding stuff in there!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Work on better throttle control first before jumping. Sounds like you did VERY well for your first time out though. You want to be comfortable enough to where grabbing a fist full of throttle doesn't seem a big deall to you. Then work on some small jumps. IMO Your dad doesn't need to push on you to try anything you're not ready for yet. Be safe and have fun!! :)

Top Bottom