EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I'm looking to get a bike to ride trails on in CA (not too much really tight stuff, but some). I will also spend a little time at moto cross tracks. Due to price constraints, I want to get a used 1995ish-1997 (not later) bike.

I am considering a KX 250 or a KX 500. What are the reletive pros and cons for each as trail bikes/light mx bikes (no racing)? I know the 500 has a lot of power (probably WAY TOO MUCH), but I've heard that the power comes on smoothly. Also, the 500 doesn't seem to weigh that much more than the 250 (a least on paper), would it really be that much harder to ride the 500?

Any thoughts/suggestions on the choice would be appreciated.

Also, if any of you (or anyone you know) is selling a bike that may meet my needs, please let me know.

I posted a similar message in the cr/kx/rm/yz forum, but didn't get a lot of responses. Maybe because this is the forum I should be hitting up.

Thanks!!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Either one would be fine. You can 4-stroke a KX500 in the tigher stuff easily, but the 250 would be a bit easier to ride at the MX track.

A YZ250F would be the best of both worlds, but doesn't look like you're aiming new or 4 stroke.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
those two feel soooo different, you really need to ride a 500, it's hard to put into words. I have a riding buddy that weighs 265, so he rides an '01 KX 500.
The way the motor responds, the whole feel, if at all posiible get a ride on a
500, a lot of people love them, but if your not big, you really feel the extra weight.

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
Both are great machines. I have an 00 KX250 and an 01 KX500 and ride wide open trails to the tight,tight stuff on both.

I weigh 190 but I am in good shape and the 500 is perfect for me. The 500's suspension is not set up for the big air of MX if you're a fast rider but is great for offroad. The 250 is a better MX machine but the 500 is a tough package to beat for the offroad.

If you're a beginner, I'd say go with the 250 to learn on and get the 500 later so you can appreciate it.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
I think the 250 is better for all around use. If you mainly do trails but occasionaly do MX, the 250 would be good. Unless the MX tracks that you ride on are wide open, the KX500 might be a bit much. The other option, if your not stuck on green, is to try one of AJ's AF's.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I'd still appreciate more thoughts, but I think I'll try to bum a ride on both bikes to try them out.

Nephron, I want to stick with a 2-stroke for as long as possible. In fact, my wife bought me a WRF 250 for my birthday and I returned it (and got a KDX 220--and a big cash savings-- instead). My buddy's WR250 feels heavy and like it carries it's weight up high. It's also way too loud with the White Bros. pipe on it. His starting woes also turned my off on the bike (although now he can start it pretty easily). The modern suspension, however, is pretty nice.

I'll use my KDX 220 as my main recreational bike (as modified, it rips) and I'll use the KX 250 or KX 500 when I want to ride a little harder or do some MX.

I'm not absolutely tied to green, but it would be nice to keep my garage one color. Also, if I go with a 500, I hear the Kawasaki's are better on trails than the Honda (I'm too cheap to get an CR 500 AF).

Thanks again,

EBOD

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by nephron
Either one would be fine. You can 4-stroke a KX500 in the tigher stuff easily, but the 250 would be a bit easier to ride at the MX track.

Do you mean just lug it in low rpms? Our new friend might not know that a KX500 is a two stroke. For someone new here, you can't convert a KX500 into a 4-stroke, that's not what nephron meant.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
One thing to consider. I can pretty much use all the power my 250 makes, and it's fun to really ream it out sometimes (that's what makes 125s so much fun). I can't even come close to using all the power of a 500. I guarantee that on a 500 two-stroke, you will only grab a handful on a whim once...:eek:

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
MikeT

I understood what nephron meant by 4-stroking a KX 500 (i.e., that you can lug a KX 500).

My 'I'm going to stick with a 2-stroke' comment was in response to nephron's suggestion that I get a YZ 250F.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by OKKX'er
.....but if your not big, you really feel the extra weight.

As a petite and dainty flower, I beg to differ! ;)

I've ridden my brother's 99KX250 on our trails and it definitely keeps you on your toes in the technical stuff where I tend to get lazy on my CR. On my CR, I can get going again from a dead stop halfway up many hills where I don't stand a chance doing so on the 250. I'm famous for stalling out and I hate turning around for another run at it.

Either one is fun in the trails but the 500 is more relaxing to me. I don't have to constantly be standing up and keeping it rev'd out (I like to lug).

On the track though, I think I'd go with the 250. I haven't ridden either on the track but my friend, Krazy Timmy raced a couple SX open classes on his CR500. He's a good rider but not a very big guy and he looked like a wet noodle through the whoops by the end of his moto's. He looked good doing the triple though.

As far as the weight goes, according to NADA is isn't much different

KX250 = 213 lbs
KDX220 = 223 lbs
KX500 = 220 lbs

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
As bbbom's post points out, it really is a very individual preference. Some things you just have to experience and decide for yourself. Get some test rides before you decide. good luck.

dix

Nov 24, 2001
I bought a new KX 250 last summer, and got a little bored with the power. But rather than sell it and buy the 500, I sent the top end to Gorr and it came back as a 310. There are a few other guys on DRN that have done this same thing, and all that I have spoken with have loved it. Maybe something for you to consider. At least going with the 250, you maintain the light feel and MX ability, but have the option of going with the big bore later, just as I have done. Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of power in the 250, but you will eventually get used to it and desire more. I like it when a bike scares me!!

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Forgot to mention that the KX 500 has proven itself over the years, but it's a technological dinosaur. Which has it's good points as well as bad. Seems to be a lot more aftermarket parts available for the 250 too.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ok i never really got to ride it. (luckily)

I had a YZ 490. That thing was hell to start. I dont know how bbbom does it.

Good thing about the bike is you only need third gear.

Sincerely,

Riz

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ok i never really got to ride it. (luckily)

I had a YZ 490. That thing was hell to start. I dont know how bbbom does it.

Good thing about the bike is you only need third gear.

Sincerely,

Riz

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just bought a 01 kx250 and ride both trails and on the track, been alot of fun, plus i weigh in at 250..

lukaspriest

Jan 19, 2002
CR vs KX

A gentleman up there stated that he heard the KX is better than the CR (500)...do others around here feel the same way? If so, for what reasons? I'm looking into getting a 500 myself, so I'd love to know the pros and cons of each.

Also, its nice to see that some other BIG GUYS are out on these forums, too!

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
Since I got my bike I have learned that 500s are not hard to start, you just have to set them up right. each bike may be a little different, but after a few weeks you will learn it like an art and its no problem. i've had 250's that I was more afraid to start, a 89 RM that would take chunks of your shin if you slipped!

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
EBOD, where in SoCal do you live? If close to the Valencia area I can let you take a spin on my KX500 so you can form your own opinion. I will warn you that there is a world of difference between a 250 of any brand and an open-class 2-stroke of any brand. While the open-class bikes haven't changed much over the years, they still make a TON of power.

However, depending on where you ride and what you ride (trails, desert, MX) the 500 can be a great machine for SoCal. I don't race, and I find myself WFO on few occasions on the trails and in the desert, but I sure love to twist it when I have the space!

For me there is no substitute for cc's. Good luck in your decision. With today's crop of bikes, you won't lose no matter what you chose.

Top Bottom