RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
I recently test rode a guy's KX500 that he's selling for 1600$.
It's 1991 with the whole bike pretty much redone. He's also giving me 2 rear sprockets, spark arrester, the engine was rebuilt top to bottom including:main bearings, main seals, crank, connecting rod, top end, top end seals, clutch, o-ring chain, new rear tire, and the bike looks great it looks like something from 2000 and up. Is this a pretty good deal? Also what are some tips to start it it is very hard to kick because of all the compression.

ebers17

Apr 25, 2006
Might not be a bad deal. From I believe '89 - '04 are basically the same, except for some minor things and forks and stuff from I think '95 and up. It depends on when all of that work was done though, I was looking at a bike once and the guy said it was a fresh rebuild, turns out he rebuilt it almost a year ago and ran half a season of motocross on it. I would see if he'd go down a few hundred maybe, but its up to you.
The key to starting is DO NOT kick straight down like you might on a 125 or 250. Give it a kick following it all the way through the stroke, so if your looking at your leg from the side it would be on somewhat of a curve, if that makes any sence! And make sure it's engaged at the top too, that helps.
Good Luck! They're a Blast!!!!!!

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
Yea, i was like wtf when i tryed to kick it over lol. My 125 took no effort to kick over then i move onto this and its like it takes all of my 225lbs to start. One question i rode it a little bit and lugged it in third gear how do get used to the power? I wanna do wheelies on it like i used to on my 125 but i dont want to kill myself lol.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Add a flywheel weight. It will kick over way, way more easier and it will tone down the hit just a bit. The biggest starting tip would be to never give it any throttle when your kicking it over. Also, try to find the top of the stroke and kick through. It may also help to stand on a milk crate with your left foot while you cold kick it. Once it's warmed up, restarting shouldn't be an issue. I think $1600 is as low as he will go unless he really needs the money.
Welcome to the world of big bore bikes. Just remember to do regular oil changes and service the air filter often and that bike will last another 15 years easy.

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
Awesome thx Britt I was looking into an xr 4-stroke bike for low maintance but i saw this in the paper and thought "hmm a 500 2-stroke which wont work as hard as my 125 and will be a better fit for a big guy like me at 6"3 225lbs How often should i change the gear oil and clean the filter for this bike? Every 2 rides or once a week?

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
As for the airfilter, it depends on condition. If the trails are dusty, do it after every day. If not, around every 10 hours would be max in my garage. Visual inspection should be your guide. Changing the oil for me would also be around the 10 hour mark unless it was really wet out, (mud, deep puddles, etc...) then I would do it right after the ride. Be sure to warm it up before dropping the oil too as it will drain better. When it comes to oil, don't go cheap and put ATF into it. Some people like it, I don't. I like Golden Spectro 10w40 made for 2 strokes. It's never let me down. Same goes for pre mix. I no longer buy Belray, only Golden Spectro. You can choose your favorite brand but stick with it. Also, find out what ratio your seller mixes his premix at and stay with it. It could save you some grief later on.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I think that riding a 125 is a good prep for a 500. You have to learn how to tickle the powerband on either one. Throttle control is a wonderful thing. But dang.... they sure do start different.

$1600 is a decent deal especially if all that work was done recently. But 500cc engines last muuuuuch longer than a high strung 125. If you don't ride much the top end can last for years. ebers is right that the KX500 had it's last major redesign in '89. In '90 they went to inverted forks and from there the changes are very minimal.

Make sure that you go through the jetting procedure. 500s can really suck down fuel. Correct jetting can save you from running out of fuel at a bad time. (Don't ask me how I learned that.) Oh, and ride at least one gear higher than you think you need. 500s have great bottom end lugging power and it saves fuel too.

The only real gripe I have about mine is the effort to get the dang thing started. I like those 125 leg kicks. 500s take a full body kick. Your size is a real advantage for you.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
gwcrim,
I see your lusting after the 2008 Dodge Challenger. Me too! Make mine a Hemi please, to go!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread RM125CCF.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
This is a quote I found on the KX500 written by a current KX500 owner. "You must ride this bike with respect. If you ride a 500 with a 125 mentality, you will be a weekly visitor in the ER".
Get the bike but be careful until you learn how to ride it correctly.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
gwcrim +1, Parts are still easy to get for the K5 and you can get 60 to 100 hours out of a topend.

My weapon of choice.
Dale

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
You are going to like that bike. Do a google search for KX Riders you can find alot of info on your bike.

Congrats
Dale

Top Bottom