cjrepdog

Aug 27, 2008
I am 200lbs and would like to swap my 2000 KDX220 forks for a set off a KX250. How easy is this? Will any year do? Is thisa wise move?

Thanks,

cj

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
Apperently it's the best thing you can do. I'm in the process right now. The longest part is gathering up all your parts. You can use the KDX caliper but you need the kx wheel, axle and tripple clamps. I'm still in the process of verifing the authenticity of this but the rumor is that it's best to get your axle from the same year bike as your forks. Forks older than 96 are not worth it and all wheels from 96 to 2002 should fit any of the same year axels. Changing the shim stack in the base valve is also very popular because KX forks tend to be too harsh for woods riding.

cjrepdog

Aug 27, 2008
So basically I would need a whole front end from a KX to make this work. Do you know if KX125 & KX250 parts are interchangeable?

Thanks again,

cj

cjrepdog

Aug 27, 2008
Would be better to just replace the springs and seals in the stock forks? Is that a huge job that I will need special tools for?

I plan on doing a little more mx in the future, but still want to be effective in the woods.

cj

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
I personally can't tell you how much better the conversion is because is not done yet. I have put heavier springs in my stock forks and have also done the shim stack mod but both were done during the winter and I didn't find much difference come riding season. I just spent a whole day at an mx track last week. the track was built for beginers all jumps were table tops. I could do the whole track in third and the KDX did just fine. If your looking to get competitive i'd get another bike but for screwing around onece in a while it's just fine.

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
Not too Hard

I put front forks and wheel from a 98 KX250 on my 2002 KDX220. Go to that famous online auction site and keep an eye out for parts. Got my wheel and axle for $50 and the forks with the triple clamp for $125.

Press out the steering stem from the KX forks and the KDX forks. Have the KDX stem pressed into the KX triple clamp.

You can reuse the brake caliber from the KDX with KX forks up till 2002 KX (I think).

If you go with KX250 forks you get rubber mounted handlebar clamps, the 125's are solid mounts.

Shop and parts cost me about $225 the bike is 100% better, still not a modern MX bike (that is why I have the KX).

The upgrade is not hard and is worth the effort.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Why not do a CR front end? The showa twin chamber forks have some good advantages over the normal cartridge forks. Just wondering why everyone tries for kx forks :). It also doesn't hurt that I have triples and front brakes for the cr and a set of kdx triples.

I am actually curious why the kx forks are used over yz, rm, or cr. Anyways, good luck.

idl1975

Aug 19, 2008
cjrepdog said:
Would be better to just replace the springs and seals in the stock forks? Is that a huge job that I will need special tools for?

I plan on doing a little more mx in the future, but still want to be effective in the woods.

cj

My '02 has a set of 98 KX forks. Definitely not too hard for woods, at least not if you take the time to do a fork service and pick your fork oil/springs/air gap etc. appropirately. I rode a brand new WR250F recently, and that was way stiffer at the front.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
glad2ride said:
SVandal, the bearings need to fit the frame, so that may be an issue.

Thats why you do the stem swap. At least that is my understanding. Do the kx bearings fit the KDX?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I was referring to your idea of a Honda CR and KDX swap. Have you tried to test fit the stem?

The lower KX bearing is the same. The upper is not. Otherwise, it would be super easy. :-)

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
glad2ride said:
I was referring to your idea of a Honda CR and KDX swap. Have you tried to test fit the stem?

The lower KX bearing is the same. The upper is not. Otherwise, it would be super easy. :-)

Ok, I didn't realize that they shared a bearing, I thought that both had to be replaced. I doubt the CR one will work then as the bearing appear to be a good bit larger. I'll have to measure them to be sure though.

Top Bottom