chrischaos

Aug 2, 2004
I've got a set of 96 KX 250 TT and Forks coming this week for my 89 KDX. What sort of problems do you see me having doing the swap? Any info is welcome

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I'm working on swapping over to 94 KX 250 forks on my 89. You'll need to get a new KX or KDX brake caliper, your 89 caliper will not bolt up. Just eyeballing my setup I think the radiator on the right side of the bike might need to be spaced out a bit so that the forks will clear the radiator cap. When i've got my setup bolted up i'll give an update.

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
Hey 89 KDX I have been watching e bay for the right 500 forks for awhile now.. If you ever get all your papers put together I would love to see it to help me avoid hassle

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
More KX Fork swap

I have a set of '91 KX125 forks and tripple clamps if anyone wants them for a reasonable price. They are supposed to swap out perfectly with the stem and clamps of many of the KDX models (including, I believe, '98-'05 models). I am trying to mount a complete '02 KX125 front end to my '02 KDX200. I am aware that you need the KDX stem, a spacer and a shim to do it. I'll report back if successful. Just picked up the KX lower clamp with KDX stem pressed into it from my local bike shop today.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
xr i long ago packed that stuff away. have went from the kdx to a kx to an 06 kx250f. i just checked the part numbers between the 89 kdx and the 90 thru 95or6 kx500. the kx500 stayed the same for along time as it was on its way out. the 125/250 stuff changed alot over the years because thats what everyone was riding. i cant remember but the 90/91 kx125/250 forks may have matched up also. i used buykawasaki and bikebandit to check part numbers.

chrischaos

Aug 2, 2004
I already found out that the top bearing doesn't fit into the KDX top race. The stem from the KX is too thick to accept the KDX top bearing so I'm having a machine shop look at knurling the bottom of the KDX stem to fit into the KX bottom clamp.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The KX stem doesn't fit for other reasons than that....

Doesn't matter in how many ways. Suffice to say, 'Use your KDX stem.'

Knurling is not always required.

Consider using a LocTite product that is designed for slip/press fits. One of them supports up to a .006" clearance.

Also consider that this fitment joint is NOT something that holds the whole bike together. I'm saying it's not critical that the stem/lower clamp fitment be some kind'a Mr. Incredible strong.

The fork tubes have a bit to do with keeping the upper and lower clamps aligned.

Consider purchasing another KDX stem if you wish to keep your existing KDX fork setup in tact.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Wow. THAT was easy!! :nod:

You might go looking in the 'For Sale' forum for further info. The post may well get moved there.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
That bike looks pretty nice. I was watching a 2000 KX125 on e b a y (minus some engine pieces), the whole bike went for just over $400. Unfortunatly I was at work at the end of the auction and missed it :(. There went my fork swap (or hybrid, not sure what I would have done).

Top Bottom