KX inverted forks front end - part XXIII

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
KDX/KX inverted forks front end swap - part XXIII

Found an easy way to install a KX front end. Wanted a stiffer front end on my 95 model (perimeter frame) and had a 94 KX 125 front end laying around. A friend of mine has a 94 (old style) KDX with that blue anodized upside down forks. Since he was having problems with his forks I swapped my susp with him, took his larger diameter triple trees.
They still didn't fit the KX forks, but a quick visit to my machine shop friend solved that problem. Bored the fork openings. Voila , an almost bolt on KX front (wheel included) on my KDX. Bike looks great with it too.
Just riding down the street it feels way firmer than stock. I post riding impressions as soon as I finish the darn pipe gutting job :| and hit the trails. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
I just took the triple trees and forks and let my friend do his magic vso I don't know the exact measurements. The bottom tree was very very close, maybe less tahn 1 mm on the wall thickness. The top tree on the other hand required maybe 2mm taken out which was fine since it looked like it was identical to the KX tree except with steering stem and fork holes bored in different diameters. So in the end I felt the structural strenght of the trees was not affected at all. :cool:

Top Bottom