toddwunsch

Feb 9, 2004
Actually, two separate issues for the purpose of this post. I am a new member and thought I would post a link to the Team Green jetting specs for the 2003 KX bikes.

http://www.kawasakisportscenter.com/2003_Jetting.htm

Now, I have just purchased a brand new KX-500. Rode it twice and it runs just fine. Tons of power, blah, blah, blah. Now I want to keep my four-stroke at home and ride it in Baja this spring from Ensenada to San Felipe. I've been on this ride many years in the past and basically they will not allow any bikes that can not achieve an 80 mile range on a single tank of gas. So I ran a test on my bike. Ran it hard for 13 miles on conventional 91 Oct pump gas. (That's Prem here in CA) and 17 miles on 110 Leaded 76 racing gas. Both rides required 1 gallon to re-fill the tank. Obviously nowhere near what I need to acheive 80 miles. So I may purchase the 3.7 gal IMS tank and let's say I carry another gallon or so somehow and somehow get my capacity up to 5 gal. That's still only roughly a 75 mile range. I was reading some other posts in this forum and I am hearing 25 mpg on other KX-500 and one rider stated he got 93 miles out of his KX-500 with a 3.7 gal tank. I don't know a damn thing about two stroke motors other than this particular one satisfies my need for power. I'll try anything once. Any thoughts ? Jetting, flywheel weight, propeller, wings ??

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
The above is a valid comment. You didn't state if you are running the stock gearing or if you've changed to "desert" gears. Stock being about 14/48 and desert being 15/45 or so. Check Destry Abbotts site for his race bike setup. I believe he runs as low as 15/42 for some races and you know he doesn't run out of fuel.

toddwunsch

Feb 9, 2004
That sounds great guys. I really appreciate it. Of all the things I have heard on this issue, that one never came up. I figure I will apply all one at a time and see how it goes. Just got my steering dampner installed so I'm off to Borrego for the weekend to open it up in the sand washes.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Thanks for the link. Something must be a little "off" on my '03 KX125, because I'm all the way down to a 30 pilot, and I'm still a little too rich. Most '03 KX125 owners are running 37.5 (same as the chart). My 125 has been that way since new.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
You'll absolutely need the bigger tank.

I live at 1100' above sea level and run a 52 pilot jet. Actually, I think I could go one size leaner.

There's another website that is pretty much all KX500:

Pitbull Racing <---click here

There are plenty of desert guys there that can give you input.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom