gumby_55

Oct 16, 2004
I just rebuilt the top end on my 97' KX500. After I put everything back together I tried to start the bike. After a few kicks it started then died after 2 seconds. I went to kick it again, and the kicker moved freely up and down like there is no compression. I torqued the head down a little tighter, and the compression was starting to get better, and better. But still didn't feel like it should This couldn't be from honing the cylinder too much, could it?. Then I went too tight and broke a head bolt. So my question is: Is this normal? This couldn't be from honing the cylinder too much, could it? I was thinking of just taking it in to the shop and having them tighten the head down. Also will I have to buy a new head gasket before starting over? It is one of the metal ones that has the bump that goes around it.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Your head doesn't need to be any tighter then specs. are you using a torque wrench. Over tightening may wreck the seal by squashing the gasket.( and break studs- unlucky) Over honing I guess may cause loss of compression. did you measure the bore and piston diameter before assembly. If you honed it way too much maybe you need to get it bored out to the next size and replated.

Just ideas.

Top Bottom