OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I just bought a very used 2000 KX60 for my six year old. My nine year old has had a bought new KX65 for about a year now.
I've noticed that the "clutch pull" on the 65 is way easy... One finger easy. The 60 takes a "man grip" to pull. Are the clutch setups that much different? The cases look so similar that one would think that the clutches are much the same.
For a little feller just starting out with a manual clutch, it's just going to make it that much more difficult to learn to operate. He'll have Popeye forearms by the time he gets used to the clutch.
I wonder if I need to do some work under the hood or if the 60 has an inherently stronger pull? Can I incorporate some of the 65's clutch parts to ease the problem?

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
OldTimer said:
I just bought a very used 2000 KX60 for my six year old. My nine year old has had a bought new KX65 for about a year now.
I've noticed that the "clutch pull" on the 65 is way easy... One finger easy. The 60 takes a "man grip" to pull. Are the clutch setups that much different? The cases look so similar that one would think that the clutches are much the same.
For a little feller just starting out with a manual clutch, it's just going to make it that much more difficult to learn to operate. He'll have Popeye forearms by the time he gets used to the clutch.
I wonder if I need to do some work under the hood or if the 60 has an inherently stronger pull? Can I incorporate some of the 65's clutch parts to ease the problem?
First I would try a new clutch cable and lube it up with spray lithieum lube so it has a nice buttery feel. Then check the lever/perch nut and bolt to be sure its not too tight. If the clutch is still too stiff lighter clutch springs can be used if a match can be found. Its possible that your new bike has lighter rate clutch springs in it that may interchange. Perhaps an aftermarket manufactuer makes lighter clutch springs but I don't know.

Top Bottom