Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Kentucky Ride Report

The adventure started on Thursday afternoon with a road trip to Indiana to pick up parts with one of my Wed. night riding group guys. From there we headed to London, KY. to the Redbird riding area. We were getting concerned as there was still snow on the ground until we got 50 miles from there.

Saturday morning we drove to Redbird, with a light drizzle and 50 degree temperatures. The weather channel showed we were right on the fringe of the front and the rain/snow would not happen until late in the afternoon.

The ride started out on mountain trails with ice in some of the tracks. After sliding sideways going up a hill a& almost losing it, I was wondering if this was a good idea. After getting settled in it really felt good to be riding again. After having "The Brick" torn down into several piles this winter it was good to know I got it put together right. The more we rode the more fun it got, even though the drizzle continued and the trail got slipperier. The terrain is a lot like Marquette only with clay, water & lots of hills to make it interesting. It also has allot of off camber hills. You don't want to make mistakes because it is a long way down the edge of the mountain.

There were allot of steep down hill's with loose rock in the trail. One hill took several tries to make it up due to the mud. The trail mainly follows the top of the mountain ridge lines. There were areas that had ice in the puddles and when you hit them you were like an ice breaker and the ice would break and move aside. About halfway through the loop the temperature dropped and the wind picked up and the drizzle turned to snow. As we were wet and cold we decided to find a road out and dual sport back to the truck, ending a great ride.

We then checked the weather after getting back, Sunday didn't look any better. We decided to forget about trying to ride on Sunday and head north back to the cold & snow. It was great to be riding again. I would like to go back to Redbird again and finish the loop, hopefully in drier, warmer weather. :aj:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sounds like fun Don! How many miles of trails do you think the area had? My brother & I were talking about a early spring ride. Some where way south of MI.

This place looks like it could fit the bill check out the link

Boon Trail

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Pat, we rode 50 miles and they said we didn't hit the bad hills.

Following is a quote from thumper talk-
"Making the complete loop takes a full day from sun up till sun down in the summer and thats riding at a good pace. The riding gets more technical with lots of single track on the 2nd half of the loop and IMO is alot more fun than the first half that you rode"
We started @9:30 and rode until 3:00 with out stopping much
Plenty of areas to ride around there.
Don

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
70 marlin,
I'm in Jackson and looking to ride as early as weather permits (50-60 degrees), I'm not up for the winter riding you guys are doing. I know a buddy of mine definetly would be interested in making the trek south to KY. Let me know when you plan on going and let's ride!!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Nice ride report Don. How far of a drive was it ? I also looked at the map and saw that the trail is for Quads too, how was the condition of the trail? Curtis

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don Marsh said:
Pat, we rode 50 miles and they said we didn't hit the bad hills.
Don

Shocks, pegs.......LUCKY!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
70Marlin, Have you considered Hatfield McCoy down in Virginia? It's further away I'm sure. Have not checked mapquest yet. I've read through their website and it looks pretty good.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
FORTYPLUS said:
70Marlin, Have you considered Hatfield McCoy down in Virginia? It's further away I'm sure. Have not checked mapquest yet. I've read through their website and it looks pretty good.

I've made no plans as of yet :( But still considering any options. My biggest problem right now is can I afford it?

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Curtis,
It is around 700 miles from Kalkaska. Hour and a half from Lexington KY. The trail system is a use with some motorcycle only areas.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Team Lucky?

Attachments

• TeamLucky.jpg
    TeamLucky.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom