maxxjod

May 30, 2006
Hello, i am helping my friend sort out his 1991 (?) 250 kdx, the problem is that it has been stipped of most electrical bits just leaving the ignition system, im not sure if the person that stipped the bits of removed too many wires as i cant get a good spark at the spark plug just a weedy looking spark. Could anybody give me some info i.e. a wiring diagram, any clues on how to test the electrical components, any help at all would be great as the bike has only just had the engine rebuilt but the darn thing now wont run. Thanks in advance for any help, jody

maxxjod

May 30, 2006
hi trevor,I have fitted a brand new spark plug and tested it but still no spark, i have now checked/traced most of the wires and i am now left with 2 wires that come from the black box under the seat, 1 of them goes (black with a white stripe)to the ignition barrel (only on this bike the barrel has been removed) but i dont have a clue where the other wire goes (red and green i think) could anybody help please as i would love to get out on this bike before the winter comes. :)

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
Sounds like yours is the SR version if it used to have an ignition. You can see a parts diagram for the bike on www.buykawasaki.com it will show you what you should have on the bike. Also try the Kawasaki uk web site and email them you question, they have been very helpful to me in the past. The only other place you'll find the info is in a manual which should display a wiring diagram, unfortunately I don't have one but I'm sure someone on here will have one?

maxxjod

May 30, 2006
Thanks for that trevor, just 1 question what does the 'sr' denote?
The wiring thats left on this bike is minimal to say in the least!
Where abouts are you in the uk?

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
If your bike has autolube ie, oil pump and two stroke oil tank, then its the SR version. Its just a slightly tamer road going version which is more common in the UK. I'm in Worcestershire, is that local to you?

maxxjod

May 30, 2006
Yes it has an oil pump and two stroke tank, but the engine has 'NOT FOR ROAD USE' stamped on it, any ideas why?
im in sussex so no not that local.
I think the person before me has killed the black box but i have found a company that can test it, i also hope that they can tag the wires to tell me what they do. i will get this thing running before winter.
Any ideas if anybody has supermotoed one of this bikes?

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
I've not seen that stamped on the engine before, it is stamped on motocross exhausts though. I have seen a supermoto KDX250, it had RGV250 wheels, looked very good.

bryaN16

Jun 3, 2006
hey i own a 1994 kdx 250 and i founde that a bosch platinum plug worked great without damaging anything ive been running the plug for a year and its never fouled up

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
I had that problem too

My 88 had a spark problem. I threw parts at it. It was not the CDI black box, it was the stator (behind the flywheel).

Other tips.
1) Sand all gound points, where the coil mounts, the engine mounts, any contact points for ground.
2) check the spark plug boot, they can get loose and need replacing
3) fresh plugs, have several on hand
4) get clear fuel line, it is nice to be able to visually see if fuel is getting to the carb - I was having problems with fuel at the same time, that only confusues things, believe me.
5) You can get a new stator for around $40 from Ricky Stator dot com
6) It is very difficult to verify with a test meter is a CDI box is good or bad, best to get a used one from somewhere and test it that way
7) My spark tester shows a "weak" spark, but it starts every time now that I have the new stator, new plug, and fuel issues sorted out.

You can read about my saga in another thread if you like...
Click Here - 88 KDX no spark

Top Bottom