trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Hey guys!
Here in Quebec we had a snow storm yesterday, about 30 cm have fallen. So the loader from a private company comes during the night/early hours to clear the snow from the parking and driveway (I live in an apartment block).
What do I see when I get out this morning? The damn loader rammed into my car and destroyed the rear bumper, AND left no note, no paper, no nothing! I had to call the police so that they make a report proving I wasn't responsible of anything. Heck there was still 1 foot of snow on the car. That's not all, another guy from that same company comes to see what one of his co-workers have done. He looks at my car and says, "that couldn't be us". When that guy left, the police assured me that it was clearly their mistake.

Brief, the guy ran into my car destroying the rear bumper and pushing it 2 feet further while it was in 1st gear with the handbrake on, he left no note, and the company does not admit he ran into my car. That's not only lack of vigilance!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
as a snow plow operator, I can sympathize with the one who worked on your lot. I can also sympathize with you. Now, using my Canadian to American convertor, I believe 30 cm is approximately a foot of snow, maybe foot and a half. Now, a foot of snow manages to cover things quite well, and makes things hard to distinguish as cars or just other piles of snow, depending on how much has fallen over the winter. Also, I can tell you that a loader might run into some little car and not even notice it. The way the law works here in Idaho, it's a "no-fault" accident, and your insurance should cover it.

We've had problems just recently with people following the snowplow too closely, and being in the operator's blind spot when he goes to back up, therefore ending up with damage to their vehicles. This is a citable offense on the part of the driver, since he was following an "emergency vehicle" too closely.

Of course, these are American laws, and things might be different in Canada, and even differenter in Quebec.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah the operator probably did not notice it when he hit my vehicle, that would explain why he left no notice. What's funny is that there was 4 cars parked the same way I was beside me and they were either all white or grey, but he hit the red one. Of course my insurance will pay, but I don't want it to count as a reclamation from my part. After all, I was probably sleeping when it happened. What shocked me the most is the other operator who came to take a look. He played it "Redneck" style (he looked a bit like a redneck also with his sunglasses) and did not want to admit one of his loaders had hit my car. I'm not really angry, but why did he have to come that close to my car? Those kinds of accidents are just annoying. Thanks for your response Pred. It's good to see another point of view.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
trial_07 said:
. . . why did he have to come that close to my car?
because he's probably had a million complaints about leaving too much snow in peoples' way by not getting close enough to their cars.

it's a no-win situation, trust me.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
trial_07 said:
I'm not really angry

I was really angry once..........

I once pulled into a bank parking lot and immediately had a jerk, who was plowing snow, back into the front end of my truck. He was also talking on his cell phone while he was plowing. Even though he must have been a really important person (the cell phone and all) I called him some bad names..... :laugh:

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I sympathize with you. It snowed 3-4 inches yesterday and as I exited my driveway, I saw that my mailbox was destroyed once again from the county plow. This happens most every year and I just call the county and they say submit the bill and they pay for it - but not this year. My wife calls and they say that their new policy is if the mailbox is destroyed from being hit by the snow flying off the plow, then they are not liable. Only if the plow actually hits the mail box will they pay for it.

Are you kidding me? They'll pay - trust me. If someone - anyone - damages someone elses property they can be held liable.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Anyway. I just hope it did not damage anything else than the bumper. It hit my hitch also and the car was pushed 2 feet forwards.

Cory326

Feb 3, 2007
they used a front end loader or a skid loader? I do snow removal in the winter as well, and in that situation, we would have plowed (or back dragged) the snow away from the car (with extreme caution!), windrowed it, and had a skid loader clear it out. Was the guy new, or just in a hurry?

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Fyi

"Redneck" style (he looked a bit like a redneck also with his sunglasses) and did not want to admit one of his loaders had hit my car.

Surely your quote above is not intended to offend Rednecks....

Rednecks are an integral part of society. They perform jobs that other segments of society either can't do or won't do. eg. snowplow operators, airline pilots, rodeo clowns, farmers, realtors, and some lawyers.

I know this 'cause I are one... and I come from and married into, a long line of rednecks...some highly edgeumacated and others not so much. :nener: :rotfl:

Ken

P.S. Sorry to hear about your car.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So Jeff Foxworthy interviewed the guy that came out prior to the determination of him being a redneck right?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Cory326 said:
they used a front end loader or a skid loader? I do snow removal in the winter as well, and in that situation, we would have plowed (or back dragged) the snow away from the car (with extreme caution!), windrowed it, and had a skid loader clear it out. Was the guy new, or just in a hurry?

Yeah they "backdrag" the snow, but obviously with not extreme caution.

Sorry if I insulted any Rednecks here. I was just pissed at the way that guy laughed at us and did not admit bruising my car.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
If you use a front end loader to remove 30cm of snow from an appartment complex parking lot..........you MIGHT be a redneck!

:rotfl:

Sorry, I really do feel for ya'. ;) As I said above, I would most likely be pretty steamed too.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I should post pics. There is a clearly visible "punch line" where the side of the front end (bucket) hit the bumper. I don't think he banged right into it, but more likely hit it while turning.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
does your complex have any rules about parking when snow is expected?

i know in massachusetts the complexes i lived in had rules for winter parking so cars didnt get damaged by accident or on purpose :whoa:

when we plowed i hated doing apts no one moved there cars and you where the jerk when you piled the cars in with the plow wash :|

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
No there are no rules, and it's not a huge parking. Just maybe 10 cars parked beside each other facing the same direction. Nothing too complicated for the operator.

*Why is this thread continuously marked older?

Last edited:
Top Bottom