LBL Turkey Bay, Spring ride April 18-20

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Something is keeping me from posting.  We'll see if I can get it to work...

Sorry, I'm having to split it up into multiple posts.

Confirmed Riders:

Cal
Lonnie
Darby
Garrett
Yamahauler
al-piv 
Dru
Jaybird
Hogwylde
Hogwylde's bro-in-law
sfc crash 
Mikeb
Paddy 
trsrdr
Mike
KelvinKDX
Cycledelic Neophyte 
GreenMan
TTRGuy 
Rooster
motormichael
Lee
Waltcmoto
Eric
Bob
Julius Pleaser

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Rock & Root Rampage!
April 18, 19, 20

It's time to start planning for the spring ride at Turkey Bay! We had a blast last fall. Let's make this one even better! This ride is going to be a DRN/Thumpertalk ride, so it should be a big one!

Turkey Bay is hilly and rocky. There are areas for just about anyone. There are easy areas that are good for beginners and kids, and there are areas for the not-so-faint-at-heart. The thing that makes Turkey Bay user friendly is that there is usually 2 or more lines to choose from. Almost every hill has multiple ways up...some more challenging than others, but they end up at the same point. The trails are very open. There is VERY little single track. At the pace we ride, most trails are 2nd to 4th gear trails. Nothing that I would call "tight" and not really anything wide open either (except for the main trail).

3 day passes to Turkey Bay are $15
Annual passes are $45 and run from March to March
Primitive Camping at TB is $8
There are tons of campgrounds throughout LBL.

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
http://www2.lbl.org/lbl/OHVTrails.html  --- Turkey Bay Info.

Motels in Aurora, KY:

Early American resort - $41.95 / night pet charge of $8 Across road from Willow Pond restaurant. 270-474-2241

Ken Oak Resort - $41.95 / night pet charge of $5, has a refridgerator. 270-474-8000

Fin n Feather - $42.51 allow small pets, 2 night min. 270-474-2351

Lakeland resort - double bed $42.51, queen $46.87, 2 double beds $46.89, $5 pet charge, First motel on the right, next to The Hitchin' Post(traveling East on US 68).
270-474-2292

All of these motels/cabins are on US highway 68 (the only road through Aurora).

Last year the guys stayed at Moors resort, cabin #24. I believe everyone was very happy with the cabin.

http://www.moorsresort.com/cottages/index.htm ---MOORS
http://www.kylake.com/travelcenter.htm --- LBL LODGING

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Tips for riding at Turkey Bay (provided by Yamahauler)

1. Watch out for dune buggies and jeeps on the trails. They move slower and are often stopped right in the middle of the trail.

2. Be cautious of the blind corners on the main trail. Usually someone will be haulin' in the oposite direction. Several people have been hurt this way.

3. Be cautious of the hill climbs at the top. Some "peak" and drop off the other side. I heard of several "launch" stories.

4. When crossing trails (especially the main trails) look both ways first. Again, several people have been hurt this way.

5. Don't hit the mudholes. Most are DEEP...especially down by the lake.

6. Expect to lose some knobs off the rear tire...lots of rocks. Also for those on 2 strokes, expect the possibility of dents in the expansion chamber from the rocks.

7. If you get lost, just keep riding you'll eventually make it to the main trail and it will take you back to the parking area.

P.S. If you need to get ahold of me:
Home: 270-898-4881
Cell: 270-559-0698
corey@vci.net

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
GREAT NAME :) Everything is still on track for us. Al and I will definetly make it, though Al may not stay all three days. Al has a camera for the helmet cam (if big lou will let us use it). As of right now I don't have a cam for the helmet cam, but I can still shoot normal video (which I'll try to do a lot of). If anyone wants to shoot some video of their own I would like to borrow the video(s) to make the DVD with (I need the most video time as possible to make the best DVD I can). I will also be shooting some still shots and would like to get a picture of the whole group (if possible) to use as menu's for the DVD.

side note - are you going to gates ride this Saturday?! I can't wait to ride again!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Corey,

At this point in time I am not sure that I will be able to make it. YZ400guy and his roommate deployed to the Gulf last Friday and all my gear is at their place. If I can get ahold of them via e-mail and get the security code for the alarm I can try to make it.

Of course the Zinger is still in pieces so I would have to borrow a ride.

I'll keep you posted as things develop. If Lou makes it again maybe I could go for another "test ride" to make sure. :)

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
OH Yeah. I will be there with my pit tootsie Paddy. See ya in a couple of weeks at St Louis Cory. We can work out details then. Too bad its not the following weekend. Our club is having a ride there then.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm gonna try hard to make this one. I'm ready for some more ROCKIN'!
Sounds like the grill would be in order too. Turkey burgers and Moon pies!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Jaybird has the king of grills!  Even has a hard case for his cooking utensils! :aj:

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I'm gonna try hard to make it also. Gonna drag along my bro-in-law too if ya'll don't mind. I'm trying to convince him to sign up with Dirtrider.net, but he hasn't even checked us out yet.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
corey, my buddy dru is coming along on this one too. I think I can get a few others to come also, I will let ya know.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
AL - It will be a long month! April 13th is the stoney race and the following weekend will be this and the weekend after that will be another race in Culver (27th)! As if that isn't enough the week after the Culver race is another race at stoney (4th). I hope I can get off work for all of these events! I'm thinking about going to all of the D15 races.... if possible.

I think I'm bout to get a 2nd job too, just to make sure I will get enough hours. I will know for sure at the first of April! It sucks, but I gotta do whatever it takes. :(

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Cal,

Put me & Wendy (Cycledelic Neophyte) down for the ride.

Wendy really likes LBL and fried the main bearing on her kx100 last time we were there (Thanksgiving).

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Alright, that's what I want to hear!! :yeehaw:

I'm still waiting on Eddie and Aimee to confirm. I'll be at their house Sat., so I'm going to work on them (i.e. twist Eddie's arm...or maybe knee!)

Last edited:

al_piv

Jul 26, 2002
limitless:
The 13th race I am planning on going, yet not sure if I will race...
I want to watch how the "AA" and "A" class rides and how they take the rutts..
I think we could learn a lot by watching the race and then taking what we learn to the next one...

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I watch enough of them passing me I ought to be a pro by now! There isn't an AA class in the district races I don't think. I think I'm gonna try to do a whole 2 laps :) I hope to be able to spring for some new treads by then (along with fixing that dang shifter!), but I also have to get new brakes for my car and have it fixed so I dunno. Hopefully I can sell the TTR by then too... that would help a lot.

I know the A riders stand a lot more than I do, so I would think that would be a good thing to start practising. Ohhh and a pro told me at a race down in KY that in the mud and ruts you need to just go fast, don't ***** foot around with em'... just blaze right through them.

Someone needs to email Chris and Mike to let them know of our little event... I'm sure they would be interested!

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
I only live about 40-45 minutes from Turkey Bay. Don't have a bike and won't for another 2 months, but I might come out there and check out some of your bikes. I wanted a chance to take a spin on an xr250 or xr400 before I buy. Can't decide which one i want more. Haven't got a chance to ride either.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
NOTE: Anyone wanting to make reservations @ Moors Resort, should do so ASAP. Fishing season has started and the place will fill up fast!

Updated rider list.

Last edited:

al_piv

Jul 26, 2002
I just got off of ThumperTalk and a group from SoCal has over 108 participants/replys to its posting for the same even/ride....
Lets heat it up a bit....

Keep up the good work...

Top Bottom