HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
My buddy who owns a small track just picked up a tractor with a small (about 1 1/2 yard) loader on it. We spent a few hours yesterday learning to work it. I have a new respect for the guys that prep some of the local tracks in 30 minutes!

Anybody have any suggestions on this? Does it just take practice? We were able to get rid of some bumps but seemed to be making the jumps worse?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
You got it.... practice.

For the jumps, are you back-dragging the jump faces with the bucket? Like going up the jump, to the tip of the takeoff, and come down/backwards using the bucket to drag/smooth/shape the face? That's about the best way to do it for finishing.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
No we weren't back dragging, I guess you would call what we were doing was "front dragging" (going forward up the jump trying to push some dirt from the bottom to the top). Our reason for doing that was that in addition to needing lips put back on the jump, they had become very shallow (they started at about 6 feet high with 10-12 feet of run and now they're like 5 feet high with 15 feet of run). Thanks for the tip, we'll spend sometime Sunday trying some more.

So far I still like riding the bike more than the loader, the loader's fun too but the suspension on it sucks! :laugh:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I don't have a lot of experence, but I do have a little. I'd try to scoop up the dirt and pile it up where you need it to get the height back. Then do as Nikki said and drag the bucket going backwards to smooth it out and fine tune the angle of the face.

good luck and have fun:)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep, what bikepilot said. Move the new dirt to the top first, then re-shape with backdragging. :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Back dragging also helps to pack the dirt so it does not breakdown as quickly. I have never run a loader but I have had quite a bit of time on a Bobcat and you just have to go do it. Those guys at the supercross races are amazing ( the racers too but I was talking about the heavy equipment guys)

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
After working on this for a few hours Sunday, we were able to get the back dragging working fairly well for filling in most of the track. However, the loader seemed to be having a real problem going backwards up jumps. The tires spun sometimes and just seemed to not have enough power.

Anyone have minimum horsepower recomendation? Our loader is actually an old tractor that has had a loader added to it.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
HajiWasAPunk said:
After working on this for a few hours Sunday, we were able to get the back dragging working fairly well for filling in most of the track. However, the loader seemed to be having a real problem going backwards up jumps. The tires spun sometimes and just seemed to not have enough power.

Anyone have minimum horsepower recomendation? Our loader is actually an old tractor that has had a loader added to it.

When they are talking about back dragging, I think they mean to place the bucket at the top of the jump, then back away from the jump letting the bucket "drag" from the top of the jump to the base, smoothing the face. Not backing up the jump!

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
oh crap, I was back dragging the track and then trying to keep right on going up the jumps. :bang: :coocoo:

But if you back drag down the face of the jump, aren't you making the jump less steep then (instead of building it back up)? Man I need riding class for loaders!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
just be careful on jump faces and sides of jumps, tractors can roll easy and with all advice you will get on operating, its very dangerous and can hurt you fast.

Do not drag down faces of jumps, do not run your bucket "HIGH" meaning when you are working especially on angle slopes keep the buck "BELOW" eye level. In the event of a feeling of rolling the unit, drop the bucket to the ground fast, that load and flat surface will help stabilize the machine.

all in all pay attention to how the tractor works.

trust me

I know....... :bang:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
But if you back drag down the face of the jump, aren't you making the jump less steep then (instead of building it back up)

Potentially, but you can vary the results with practice. But, most importantly, unless it's a small kicker type jump, you're making the transition up the face of the jump smoother.

Top Bottom