jgino157

May 17, 2002
Being new to site, I noticed that the rear swingarm linkage is a hot topic. My bike is a '97 220 that has never seen service to this area. My question is, when I pull it apart:
1. Is it possible my swingarm is toast????I'd perfer not
to buy a new one.
2. I'm sure a least I'll have to replace the bearings. Is
it one bearing, a set of bearings(I never seen the internals
of a swingarm)?
3. Where do I get the bearings and how much $$$$?
4. And what kind of grease do I use??

I'm fairly handy w/ the tools having done my top end and I'm constantly playing with the jetting. Is it hard to install the new bearings or do this service. I have a service manual(though not w/ me right now as I probably could have answered half these questions). Is there any pics of this service being done??

Any help is greatly appreciated........Thanks..

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Hey

I did the linkage on my bike about 2 months ago (well my friend pulled it apart for me but whatever..)

When I got it apart most of the bering were rusted out, the seals were shot, it was even missing one bering!! About two of them were still in good condition but the rest needed to be replaced. After getting all the berings, pins and seals it ended up being about 200$ cdn. I was stupid and got OEM berings, I should of looked for a bering supply shop to see if they had the correct size.

I would recommend taking it apart and fixing it up, its worth it in the long run!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
www.honda-kawasaki.com for OEM parts deal. Expect to pay about $100 for all the bearings. The bearings need to be pressed out and back in. You need a lot of bearings like 9 or 10 of them, of different sizes. You need grease that has moly in it. I service my linkage about every 300 to 500 trail miles and after 1500 trail miles all bearings including the lower shock bearing are still good. Yes, maint makes a huge difference IMHO.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. Is it possible my swingarm is toast????I'd perfer not
to buy a new one.
Of course that's a possibility. If the bike has been actually RIDDEN over the past five years, chances of the linkage being OK is about zip.point.

Actually, the swingarm is not the largest worry (about toast). The unitrack link is more likely to be severely damaged.

2. I'm sure a least I'll have to replace the bearings. Is
it one bearing, a set of bearings(I never seen the internals
of a swingarm)?

Goto:
www.buykawasaki.com

..to look up the PN for your bike. FredTs link will end up taking you there, too. It is a 'set' of bearings..four actually...and seals. FredT's '9-10 of them' takes into account the suspension linkage (unitrack) also. Doing one (swingarm) without the other (unitrack) is silly.

3. Where do I get the bearings and how much $$$$?
Do some shopping. Aftermarket kits are available. Those kits are NOT always direct/same replacement pieces. PivotWorks for example uses uncaged bearings. Great if your looking for a bit more roller surface...bad if you HATE picking up the little buggers from all over the floor everytime you service the assy. Several on-line places are avail for aftermarket parts. Like:
www.rockymountainmc.com

for example. Not an endorsement..just a place to start.

4. And what kind of grease do I use??
Best you can get!! The stickier the better! I've heard good reports from a belray product designed for marine applications. The grease I use you're not going to find anywhere...but it's the best I could get.

I'm fairly handy w/ the tools having done my top end and I'm constantly playing with the jetting. Is it hard to install the new bearings or do this service. I have a service manual(though not w/ me right now as I probably could have answered half these questions). Is there any pics of this service being done??
Do a search on the board concerning swingarm tbls. Some riders have spent DAYS...and heat...and banging...and more heat..and soaking in penetrating oil...to get theirs apart. If yours is a mess, take it to a shop to have the bearings pressed out. You DON'T wanna buy a swingarm cuz you beat it to death.

Tantrum has some pics posted of his zerk-job. Nothing particularly related to the 'how-to take apart' part.

This maintenance isn't a matter of 'do or not'. It HAS to be done.

....along with your steering stem bearings and your wheel bearings too!!

Good luck!

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
jgino157:

I can vouch for why you've read so much on this subject. I tore mine down on my 6 month old bike 2 weeks ago.

There was NO grease between the bearings that hold the dog bones! And just a hint left on the bearings themselves. There's probably an inch in the race between the 2 bearings at each dog bone link and I can't imagine why this is not filled during assembly.

I think I got to mine just in time.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I'll say it again,

DO it, and do it quick.

www.buykawasaki.com will outline the parts you'll need, and will assist in re-assembly if you don't have a service manual.

It's time intensive, not hard. If your not mechanically inclined, take it to a shop you trust, or a riding buddy.. You'll also need a press to remove and re-install the new bearings.

Jon!

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not looking forward to this, but if I have any questions, I know where to ask them........Thanks again

Top Bottom